shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendors...How do you qualify customers...Any bias?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
(I took the liberty of moving RG's question from here)

Since I was specifically addressed I prepared a reply, but didn't want to post it in the other thread. Nevertheless, I think the question has merit, and poses an opportunity for elaboration on how intricate 'qualification' of each and every customer or potential customer can be for a vendor even before arriving at actual selection or recommendations.

If I understand what Ira was driving at (a question that indicts one with either a yes or a no) I think the fact that this isn't a 'yes or no' answer may be the answer.
Date: 10/15/2005 9:05:25 AM
Author:Regular Guy

I had this idea just yesterday, a post from John Q prompts it again today, so what the heck...

Vendors...I can envision a perfect universe, where 5 customers will call in, all in a row (of some sort -- even say -- within a 4 hour period), and each ask about those 4 1 carat G VS2s you have (or some such close combination of diamonds you have in stock), asking: please look at them for me, and tell me which one is the one I should get?

So, what are they asking? You do not need to do a personality assessment of these people. Also, maybe you could try to qualify them, saying...are you more in love with bright lite, or with fire, yada yada. What they will want to know, is that for those 4 diamonds, that you have already pre-picked as to your liking, still, which one of even 2 - 12 options that are close in character to each other, which one is the best, if even marginally, since you and they cannot conscionably imagine they will all be sent to either the shopper or even an independent appraiser on their behalf. And so, that's the set-up.

In this perfect world, I can imagine your answering, 'in order of their calls' which one is best, and after a purchase commitment, your eliminating that one that had been purchased, and then only recommending the ones you currently have available.

But...come on. I can more readily imagine that this is not a perfect world. Although I would believe you would sell any of your stock to anybody, I'll bet there are some situations, and moreover, some customers, who perhaps are just a certain way with you on the phone, wherein you'll look at those options available to them, and say to yourself...you know...there's gotta be someone else in the cue that's going to get that particular one, and then recommend a different one.

So, really, how often do you [do this]? You could tell the truth and say never. Also, maybe you could more believably tell the truth, and share a story about the situation that will tend to make you veer a customer to a diamond that a more favored customer may be veered to instead.

Regards,

Ira

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I can quickly address two of the main questions

Date: 10/15/2005 9:05:25 AM
Author: Regular Guy

But...come on. I can more readily imagine that this is not a perfect world. Although I would believe you would sell any of your stock to anybody, I'll bet there are some situations, and moreover, some customers, who perhaps are just a certain way with you on the phone, wherein you'll look at those options available to them, and say to yourself...you know...there's gotta be someone else in the cue that's going to get that particular one, and then recommend a different one.
Never. The best option will always be put forward. This serves the client and the company best. A sale is a sale. Providing the best option to the client is a no-brainer, especially when most vendors offer an extended inspection/return period.

As for selling any item in stock to anybody, that requires an extended answer. We are happy to provide any item we have chosen for our inventory to anyone, but only after doing all we can to be sure the customer’s expectations and the piece we are selling to them will match. The only case where we won’t do this is when a client requests a diamond from an outside supplier, we bring it in and it does not meet our approval. In this case we won’t sell it.

Now, getting back to the overall issue – before making ANY sale, even our own inventory, we work to answer questions and arrive at a common understanding of what that customer wants. The ‘eye-clean’ question with SI diamonds is one that’s an obvious area for definition, but many other layers of complexity can exist with every customer interaction. Therefore, I would like to answer you in broader terms:

The most important component of creating positive experiences with a company is dependent on who you have interfacing with customers and potential customers. You can’t just grab someone working at the Quickie-Mart and suddenly empower them to make life-changing sales to hopeful clients, many of whom are nervous about the internet. You must have confident, qualified people.

For us this means hiring personnel for our sales team who are highly educated and able to discuss diamond beauty in quantifiable and technical terms – but more importantly they must be personable, willing to listen and tactful. The process begins with arriving at what a customer is looking for (sometimes they are not sure), and balancing that with their budget, their timeline and what is available or may come available. Even more involved is discovering the level of awareness that person has about the Cs, grading labs and sight-unseen analysis. There is a fine line between offering education to a customer and patronizing him/her. We don’t think of the initial contacts as qualifying the customer so much as discovering who the person is and what is in his or her lexicon of understanding in the macro.

Example 1. A PS regular might call in and say “Hi. AGS cert #8675309. I see it’s an ACA Classic. Is it eye-clean?” (Let me see…by our working definition, yes it is. Do you know our definition?). “Yes I do. Use my credit card. You have me on file. Ship it now. Rock on. Peace-out.”

Example 2. On the other end of the spectrum, you have a caller phoning in to say “Hello. I found you on Google. I want an ideal emerald cut in blue-white color and VS2 with no clouds or fractures. I heard AGL-USA is good. Do you guys know that diamond guy? I read his book…” A great deal of tact, interaction and the building of a relationship will be necessary to help this person – if the person is even willing to have the exchange.

Most customers fall between the extremes.

Our sales team interacts with people who have never heard of cut specifics, all the way to pro level enthusiasts who request specific proportions and cutting styles. My bailiwick is consumer education and a portion of my duties involves interaction with our sales team to empower current knowledge on grading, developments and trends. For questions beyond proportions, lab grading, scopes and overall light performance we have several on-site experts available to discuss the technical (as tech as you want to get), the visual aspects of specific diamonds, or the custom design ‘live’ with clients.

For a salesperson, having the ability to gauge the level of information the customer wants (or needs) to make a decision, and then having the spider-sense to understand how much interaction the customer WANTS is crucial. Some customers enjoy constant updates, interaction, discussion with salespeople as well as Brian or myself and visitation via phone, PM, email and carrier pigeon. Other clients want only bare facts and minimal, efficient contact.

Relationships are built in this manner. It’s funny to look in our records. Some people buying a single diamond may have 20 emails/calls in and out over a period of days, having fun and making small talk. Other people are the masters of one-line discussion and wrap it up in 2 emails or calls, thank you very much.

Custom jobs almost always involve building a steady relationship. It can take months of planning and educating about what is possible and refining to make something that begins in a client’s head into an actual piece of art. It is especially difficult to do this over the internet – there is no meeting ‘over the counter, face to face,’ so the simplest details must be described and mutually understood via email and phone. I am constantly impressed at the ability demonstrated by internet exclusive vendors and their clients to develop and successfully produce amazing custom work.

The long-term results of relationship building are wonderful. We have some customers, not involved in current sales, who email their contacts here on a daily basis just to talk about football, or cars, or wedding gowns, or the weather or any number of subjects. Those relationships are constant. They may not be resulting in sales, but management does not discourage them, because they are resulting in goodwill. Besides, every now and then these regulars decide to add to their ‘collection.’ Moreover, this network of past customers recommends us to friends and family quite often. Our referral gift program (not in effect for referrals made on or through Internet consumer discussion forums) was developed as it became obvious these interactions were resulting in a significant number of new customers approaching us – already familiar with our products and services – originating away from the internet.

Not every request is a good fit. We try to stay with qualities that we know are our strengths. There are some requests that are outside our paradigms. For instance, we sometimes get a call to being in an EGL (or off-lab) SI3 or I1-I3 diamond. We just don’t do this. We’re not trying to be snobs, the management has set standards and such a diamond would not fall into our paradigms for trade-up, etc. On the more involved side, we might get a request to do a search for numerous matched diamonds of certain rarity, proportions or characteristics like fluoro or fancy color. If we have them in our vault or can source them easily from our own Antwerp cutting house, we may take on the job. In other cases we may decline to do this: We specialize in an extensive in-house inventory and custom jewelry creations and we play to those strengths. Of course, it never hurts to ask if you have an interesting request – the band just may know the tune. And if they don’t we hope to point you in the right direction.

What I am trying to convey is that this whole business can be designed with a process in mind, but in practice it’s about people first, then a process. Especially on the internet, where awareness and education are key to building trust, we hope to tailor our interaction with clients to satisfy individual needs. As with anything, we may not always succeed at a 100% level, but we’re aiming for the mark.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Nice response, JohnQ
1.gif

And kudos for moving the thread and removing the offensive words from the original question. I know that they probably weren''t meant to be offensive, but they still weren''t appropriate.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hou, please see my second post in the originally offending thread, as youlre correct, no offence meant, where I assumed the allusion was in common enough parlance.

And John, yes, very nice response; also got your pms and e-mails concerning the original post. Despite my appreciation, I''ll happily enough stand by my original inquiry though. Although I appreciate the boy scout and genuineness in the response from you, any funny stories could still be welcome. Maybe this is just not a funny topic.

No, I guess not.

With appreciation....

Patty

Ideal_Rock
John,

Great response.

I just went back and counted. My diamond earring purchase included 11 e-mails from Whiteflash and one phone call.
21.gif
My e-mails to Whiteflash number 13, including the one where I sent my credit card info and the "thank you" e-mails for info or the shipping confirmation e-mail. Then I sent a few more to Renee once I received them and she responded those.

It would have been fewer e-mails but there was a little confusion over my zip code and the closest Fed Ex location.

I was just curious after reading your comment about the records of phone calls and e-mails.
35.gif

Patty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results