shape
carat
color
clarity

Vegan Thanksgiving ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I will have one vegan guest at my T''giving table. I can think of veggies, but I''d like to offer something else, but at the same time I won''t have a lot of time
to prepare add''l dishes for just one person. Any ideas?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Bebe, I know Trader Joes carries tofurkey?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 2:53:59 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hi Bebe, I know Trader Joes carries tofurkey?
I wish we had a TJ''s, but we don''t (Houston) I have a Whole Foods, but honestly, it''s a 45 minute drive!

Ugh! Just want to be a good hostess, but this stumps me.

Skippy, I haven''t forgotten about getting back to you regarding the steamer - it''s still in the box!!!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You can do vegan stuffing, shepherd''s pie, sweet potatoes, roasted root veggies, some sort of squash entree or a vegetarian stew, and ordinary things like cole slaw.

Good luck!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Lentil pie.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
My sister is vegan. I can think of some great vegan recipies but non that seem appropriate for just one person or for thanksgiving.

I might ask what she wants me to make her for Christmas dinner (we're not American so we don't celebrate thanks giving) and if there's anything interesting she can think of I'll come back and share.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone seen the frozen Tofurkey''s ?

I don''t think I''ll time to prepare him an entire meal, but I''d like to have some things he would enjoy.
It''s really a challenge, because so many T''giving dishes have eggs, butter and chicken broth in them.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
In many cases you can replace butter with margarine (the kind made of oil with no animal products) and eggs with egg substitute with little to no effect to the taste of the dish. I do this with all my bakeing for example because my BF is lactose intolerant and my sister is vegan.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you know that your guest won't be bringing anything? My DH was a vegetarian for a long time and whenever invited to someone's house for thanksgiving or another holiday he always brought a vegetarian friendly dish for everyone-that way the hostess didn't feel obligated to make him something special.

And most grocery stores these days carry fake meat products-I would check with your local one before I drove all the way to whole foods.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I see no reason to eat that ill-conceived beast (the Tofurkey) when there are so many other traditional Tday dishes that are easier to make vegan and more likely to taste good. I know some people swear by Tofurkey but I have had it several times and am not a fan... Last time there were some really nice carmelized carrots and potatoes surrounding tofurkey that were far tastier than the 'roast' itself.

Seems like a number of traditional sides could be adapted to vegan so you wouldn't have to do too much extra work.

Stuffing can be made with veggie stock instead of chicken. (I guess I'm assuming it would be cooked separate from the bird, since that's usually how we do it.)
Mashed (white) potatoes - use the potato water from boiling and some vegan margarine instead of butter/mik. They woln't taste as buttery but its easy to make a small vegan batch and then a larger dairy batch.
Pie crust can be tricky as many commercial crusts use lard, and many home bakers use butter. Try to find a recipe or version that uses vegtable shortening. Pumpkin pie comes out really well with soy milk and cornstarch substitute for egg.
Hmmm... still missing a protein. Maybe asking said vegan to bring a protein or heartier side dish to share? Rice and beans, corn-something, whatever is good in your neck of the woods?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about looking at Asian Foodstore for some immitation meat?

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I actually really look forward to Tofurky!
18.gif
My husband and I are not vegetarians (not vegan) and we think it is a fun part of the holidays. Making more traditional fare with vegetable stock is also a good idea.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 1:11:16 AM
Author: cara
I see no reason to eat that ill-conceived beast (the Tofurkey) when there are so many other traditional Tday dishes that are easier to make vegan and more likely to taste good. I know some people swear by Tofurkey but I have had it several times and am not a fan... Last time there were some really nice carmelized carrots and potatoes surrounding tofurkey that were far tastier than the ''roast'' itself.

Seems like a number of traditional sides could be adapted to vegan so you wouldn''t have to do too much extra work.

Stuffing can be made with veggie stock instead of chicken. (I guess I''m assuming it would be cooked separate from the bird, since that''s usually how we do it.)
Mashed (white) potatoes - use the potato water from boiling and some vegan margarine instead of butter/mik. They woln''t taste as buttery but its easy to make a small vegan batch and then a larger dairy batch.
Pie crust can be tricky as many commercial crusts use lard, and many home bakers use butter. Try to find a recipe or version that uses vegtable shortening. Pumpkin pie comes out really well with soy milk and cornstarch substitute for egg.
Hmmm... still missing a protein. Maybe asking said vegan to bring a protein or heartier side dish to share? Rice and beans, corn-something, whatever is good in your neck of the woods?
I''ve checked the guest and he isn''t fond of the Tofurkey. So, I''ve got to wrap my brain around this.
I''m going to try and make cornbread dressing for him. I did that once with Veg broth and it was just awful, even though I was following a Vegan recipe.
I wonder if those fake Butter Buds are Vegan friendly?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 12:35:04 AM
Author: neatfreak
Do you know that your guest won't be bringing anything? My DH was a vegetarian for a long time and whenever invited to someone's house for thanksgiving or another holiday he always brought a vegetarian friendly dish for everyone-that way the hostess didn't feel obligated to make him something special.

And most grocery stores these days carry fake meat products-I would check with your local one before I drove all the way to whole foods.
ditto, that's what I use to do with some friends who were Vegan becuase everytime I would make something, I would say D*mn I forgot you can't have butter, etc. so it helped for them to bring a side dish.
2.gif

I saw some Vegan recipe that was a sweet potato soup w/leeks and soy milk and olive oil. Or a nice lentil soup w/veggies, yum!!! I know there are lots of Vegan webistes out there too,
http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-recipes.asp

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been surfing all the Vegan web sites I can find.

Lots of recipes, just have to make a final decision on what to make.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results