shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche X-Prong = Tiffany Lucida setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billyb

Rough_Rock
I know this has been discussed before but is there a definitive answer to:
1) Is the Vatche X-Prong Comfort Fit setting the exact same as the Tiffany Lucida setting?
2) Is Vatche the manufacturer of the Tiffany Lucida setting?

Thanks!

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi BillyB:

I'm not sure if the x-prong is EXACTLY the same as the Tiffany Lucida, but I believe that Vatche does manufacture settings for Tiffany.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
From what I've seen and heard, Vatche does manufacture the Lucida-setting for Tiffany, but it's not the same as a X prong... It's similar, but not the same...

BTW, Lesley, are your new melee diamonds already on your website?? I've seen the ad here on pscope, but I haven't found them on your site...

kt

Shiny_Rock
I actually called Vatche and they confirmed that yes, they do make the Lucida setting for Tiffany. I can't say whether it is EXACTLY the same as the x-prong they show on their website, though.

billyb

Rough_Rock
Thanks kt! I'm actually a bit surprised a simple call to them got the answer. Gosh.. I should have just done that myself.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Giangi:

The new ACA inventory, which starts at .02, will not be listed as single items on the website. We have 100's of stones in house and most of them will be used in jewelry manufacture. Please call for pricing.

All these diamonds express a TRUE H and A pattern and goods from .10 - .17 are laser inscribed on the girdle with the A CUT ABOVE logo. It is quite a feat to manufacture these goods, especially with the strict parameters for a diamond to qualify as an A CUT ABOVE (that true and tight hearts patterning)

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much, Lesley... Please feel free, if you can, to give me an idea about pricing on your A cut Above H&A (using PM or emails)... Again, thank you.
Giangi

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Hello! Fairly new here, I'm lislaz and am on the lookout for the Lucida. Of course I've since changed my mind somewhat after reading some of the posts here on this forum.

I think I would be very happy if I could find the Lucida setting and not obsess as much over the stone's cut. Could I possibly ask for the website or telephone number of Vatche?

TIA!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not seen both in person, but I think you should. Some pictures (not those on the DVatche site, more those on the niceice.com) of the confort fit Xprong make it look very close to Tiffany's model. The size of the center stone would alter the profile of the setting in both cases, and there are not too many original Lucida's one can experience vicariously online for comparison.

What shape will the diamond be? Are you also looking for something to approximate the same model?

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Patty, thanks!

About what I'd like..the reason I liked the Lucida so much was the cross between the princess (which looks too chippy for me) and the round (too traditional).

The second thing that got me was the way the ring sat on my finger when I was at Tiffany's and tried it on. I don't like the way the raised settings look on my hand.

I don't want him (the bf) to pay out of the wazoo for the Tiffany branding but I DO like the way the Lucida looks. I'd be happy to get the fit of the ring and a round cut of great quality for the price. After all, it's cut and clarity that count for me.

Any suggestions?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucida cut diamonds are only sold by Tiffany, but there are a couple of cuts that get very close. To me the Queen of Harts (QOH) is one and the Lucere is very close to the Lucida indeed (perhaps missing the high crown, but surely it has the look). Both cuts are on display on GoogOldGold site (and the QOH is included in the presentation of the radiant on the first page of Pricescope, too). The galery of rings on that site has some inspiring pieces which may confirm or not the respective likeness further.

Hope this helps...

lislaz

Rough_Rock
oh my! The amount of information (all of it interesting) on goodoldgold is tremendous! And here I thought I knew about diamonds....sheesh!

(embarrassed me)

I will be forwarding the links to the bf. I did like the QOH and assume it could work with the comfort X-prong of Vatche. I'll take a looksee at Lucere too.

On the Vatche site, it looks like the settings are made only for certain shapes. I assume by your post that the QOH and Lucere would also work on his settings?

(sidebar: I googled Vatche and on impulse typed in www.vatche.com...yeah, so NOT the jeweler!!)

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You might want to have a look at a well made square 'box' radiant. They can be attractive as well and are much more readily available than branded cuts. Just be sure to explore all possible options.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/25/2004 12:36:57 PM lislaz wrote:

On the Vatche site, it looks like the settings are made only for certain shapes. I assume by your post that the QOH and Lucere would also work on his settings?

(sidebar: I googled Vatche and on impulse typed in www.vatche.com...yeah, so NOT the jeweler!!) ----------------

I guess all that matters for choosing the setting is the rough outline of the stone: e.g. round or square or other. The seting presented for a princess cut would work for anything square.

A square radiant surely is an option. Actually, only the Lucere may be quite different from the mainstream look because of it's step cut crown. The others (square radiant, flanders, QOH) make a well-matched family of mixed cuts even though they are surely different. There is one more barion-style rectangular or square cut I've heard about (WWW ).

Oh, and I surely went into that singer's website (a certain "Vatche") too. I can't believe the ring maker did not test for this kind of fallacy when selecting their domain name. Oh well...

lislaz

Rough_Rock
That's where I've gotten a little confused. I thought the Lucida was like the Radiant. I went into another jewelry store and asked for the Radiant and saw a rectangular stone.

So if I ask for a square "box" radiant, it will be closer to the cut I'm thinking of? Thanks!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
the Raiant is the generic Lucida cut, if within a very low (close to 1) length to width ratio. Example dimensions of a stone: 6.89 x 6.86 x 4.66. When dividing legth times width you'll see it's almost a perfect 1 (1.004). Anything that measure 1.04 or better will be squareish. Of course, the closer to 1 the better...

I have just recently been to Tiffany's (yesterday) with my BF and we priced out the diaomnds to see what it would be. His argument was that it was so difficult to find our D-F, IF-VS1 2.0ct stone anywhere, with a good cut. We only saw G and H color stones in Lucida, and the best they had was a G VVS2 stone for 1.5cts at $24. The H, VS1 stone was $20... We have priced out a D VS1 at 2 cts at $14,500. Much less for better quality stones. Not only did Tiffany's have worse stones, we can only assume their cuts demand that price, because everything else they had did not. Even the service was slow and weighing heavily of "yeah, we know you're there, but you didn't look rich enough to fawn over, or serious enough to attend quickly"...not liking that.

By the way, even their Lucida cuts come in squre and rectangular. They claim to have 50 facet-cut on the square modified brilliant with cut corners, which lo and behold, is the GIA description of a Radiant! Your best bet is to find a well cut Radiant, get the vatache x prong and you have a Lucida ring that cost you at least 40% less than at Tiffany's!!! Good luck!

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Oh boy.

Online I've now seen the Lucere, the QOH and the Regent.

Man! I'm in trouble!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gia calls a lot of thisgs "Square / rectangular modified brilliant". So many, that this name does not mean much. As far as I know, Lucida has a step cut crown, this is why the Lucere would be the closest approximation, not the radiant. I have never seen the actual diagram of the Lucida cut to know precisely how the pavilion looks like, but the "star-shaped" reflections the pavilion design produces in the Lucida are also to be found in the Lucere cut and maost of the others. To me the design of the pavilion does make a difference, sice it is facing the viewer. Of course, for all this, the "viewer" is myself... and this is just my 0.2 worth opinion. Hoping to help...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here they are... The Lucere diagram may contain some licence here and there, but it should be close to reality. The crown is surely correct: these do have bigger tables than Lucida's and an extra row of "steps", I am not sure about the "steps" on the bottom, but this AGS's interpretation of the cut "for identification" - i.e. not precise. All in all, the size of minor facets on the pavilion and the extra facets on the crown tell these apart. I would probably not be able to see much of the difference in 1ct stones, esp. if the Lucere has a smaller crown than this image shows. I guess the other cut diamgrams can be scooped out easily, if the respective likeness matters alot. This is the closest look alike I know.

ll.JPG

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Hoping to help? Absolutely.

Also making the decision more difficult because of more choices? eh...just a side effect. heehee..

I now have a picture of GOG's Regent and QOH side by side. I'd love to be able to go to Jonathan and see some of these stones in person as I can't really visualize what the shapes will look like in comparison.

I really appreciate the help!

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
if you go on the gog website, go to for sale, then to settings, then click on gallery. as you scroll down you will see the vatache x prong and then the lucida style setting. there are a few differences. the x prong has a horizontal support bar on the sides adn the lucida does not. Hope that helps!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is some GREAT research Valeria concerning the differences in the faceting between the Lucere and the Lucida! Lislaz, if you'd like to do some online "virtual" comparisons of the various shapes and cuts here are 2 examples in this post and the next. The file attached to this post is a virtual model of a Lucere which is a real stone we had scanned in. In the next post is one of a Regent.

First you'll need the free Gem Advisor software from MSU which you can download for free at this link. http://www.pricescope.com/MSU/Library/GemAdviserSetup.exe Open the software once and play with the supplied model then after you've done that click on the file attachment to this post and open it up (and I like to put it in disco lighting
1.gif
) then hit the green play button. What's neat is you can open up 2 diamonds side by side and do a "virtual comparison".
1.gif
We have other shapes and cut qualities in our Virtual Gallery in our cut tutorial if you'd like to compare other stones we've scanned in with their 3d models.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• LUCERE-96FVS2GEM.gem
    7.7 KB · Views: 197

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a Regent. I'd love to get my hands on an actual Lucida for examination.
1.gif

Attachments

• RE111GVS2GEM.gem
    8.8 KB · Views: 187

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Here's a Regent?? Where? Where?

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Fooey.

I downloaded that link you gave me but it won't open on my mac. Oh well.

I told my bf about the Regent and he said, "What diamond did you want this week?" Of course the joke is that I first wanted the Lucida, then the Radiant and NOW the Regent.

Ah fickleness!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL...

Yea the Gem Advisor software (and the Sarin software on our website) does not run on a Mac. You'd have to be on a PC to see that. :(

Regents kick optical bootay. Of all the modified squares that we've personally inspected none of them do it like a Regent.

The 3d files I attached are on the footer of these posts.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI check out the thread in the "show me the ring" forum...there is a thread that I made called Regent pics...

there is a pic of one in a Vatche X-prong

Vatches wweb site is www.dvatche.com....

They are awesome to work with

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Oh I've been there. I bumped it up today, in fact! That's where I really appreciated the shape. Nice way to showcase it. And your ring is gorgeous. Congratulations!

lislaz

Rough_Rock
Sorry Rhino. The link doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results