shape
carat
color
clarity

Van Cleef alhambra owners, please rate this lookalike!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for that! in my excitement I didn't even notice the necklace hangs weird.

No problem. If you are going to buy a single motif, I would suggest a solid gold version, only because you have to be careful with the MOP and other stones. They can’t get wet and scratch rather easily. Come back and show us!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't own one but seems like those who do can easily spot it as a lookalike... who knows in the real world if people would get close enough to notice but that's a lot of $ to drop on a replica imho.

i don't think anyone has a monopoly on quatrefoil designs but VCA's style is distinctive... if it is the design and the brand name you like i agree with the posters suggesting the smaller pendant (probably more wearable, too!) and if it's a designer multi-station clover necklace that you like, other brands make them ...david yurman, roberto coin, etc.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I personally think that the ten motif can be a bit ageing. Not on everyone - @LLJsmom had a chalcedony ten that she looks like a million bucks in! But... The length means that it hits many people at a very very “traditional” length, and its a length that can read “staid”. The single motif pendants and the twenty motifs, on the other hand, are youthful and fresh on everyone!

So, just like @mrs-b, I actively prefer a pendant over a ten for a first piece anyway!

Thank you @yssie . You are so kind. I've been out of it lately...

So strictly speaking, based on what I can see of the pics in the links, this is my evaluation of the replica.

1. From a distance, the individual motifs look ok. Don't look closely. The perlee edges are polished to a high shine and these do not have that quality.
2. The bigger problem lies with the chain.
a. It is not bright and super shiny like VCA is. VCA does a super high polish on the chains so they practically sparkle, especially on yellow gold.
b. The links have square edges, and the links on the replica seem to have more rounded edges.
3. Lastly, the motifs are too spread apart. If they want to replicate a 10 motif necklace, they should at least put 10 motifs. With 7, they is too much distance between each motif, and the necklace looks awkward.

So anyone who knows VCA will know this is not genuine. However, if you love the 4 leaf clover, or some derivation of a clover, Pasquale Bruni has 5 petal clovers that are pretty.

But honestly, the biggest issue I have with this is the price. If it was $300 and you wanted a clover motif necklace, not necessarily VCA, they sure, go for it. But at $2000+ trying to replicate VCA, THAT IS A RIP OFF.

I would make it into a VCA boutique and try on a bunch of pendants and 10 motifs and see if you like them. Then see how you feel and decide from there.

Here is a pic of the 10 motif on me. Notice how much closer the motifs are. It's pretty obvious for people who are familiar with the 10 motif necklace, so I guess I would not rate the replica highly.

1627840378691.png

Last edited:

wifelife

Rough_Rock
I have probably been living under a rock, but I’ve never heard of VCA. I echo what previous posters said, that those who don’t know VCA won’t know that it’s a knock off. But I would be shocked that something like that costs so much? Because I don’t appreciate the brand. Based on the above photo, VCA owners would know it’s a fake. I don’t mean to be rude, but I would find that embarrassing. Paying that much for a knock off but it still not looking right?

I much prefer the option Mrs B posted. The single pendant seems sleeker, easier to wear and less busy. I am in my early 30s, and for me I feel the MOP option is a bit ageing.

But what an exciting time, to be able to purchase such a piece to add to your collection!

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
I think it’s great to check these things. I’m someone on this forum who has such little knowledge that I hesitate to chime in at all - but I have been the recipient of some very kind and gracious advice when I’ve asked. I also understand wanting what you want even when the budget isn’t there and considering what compromises you can live with - I am a master at this haha!

Fwiw, I have no feelings at all about VCA but I think $2k for a this is stretching the bounds of the purpose of a lookalike. It’s objectively a whack of cash for something when you could buy another acceptable option that could serve the same purpose but more cheaply, or a sizeable contribution to savings to get the real thing (which I also gather from this thread is more nicely designed, which counts).

I think your money could do more for you!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
No problem. If you are going to buy a single motif, I would suggest a solid gold version, only because you have to be careful with the MOP and other stones. They can’t get wet and scratch rather easily. Come back and show us!!

Agree! I have the MOP pendant. I wear it very carefully but still got scratches. I brought it back to VCA for polish. They had to take the MOP out to polish, but when they put it back, the ball shape prongs are flattened. It doesn't look the same anymore. I am so upset.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
As for the piece in this thread - the same people who won't know it's imitation also won't know it's meant to look like VCA. So there's little to be gained by buying this sort of knock off. The people who know what this is meant to be will also know that it isn't that.

Yup this! So no to the knock-off and definitely not at 2k. The people who know will know it’s a fake and the people who don’t know don’t care anyway so why bother.

I know places where you can get good quality knock-offs and not cheap too but those are really well done and apparently hard to tell vs the real thing (since I’ve not gotten one I don’t know for sure). Still, it’s the fact that you know it’s a fake. Personally I’ll be uncomfortable with that given how well known the VCA motif is.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
So I personally think that the ten motif can be a bit ageing. Not on everyone - @LLJsmom had a chalcedony ten that she looks like a million bucks in! But... The length means that it hits many people at a very very “traditional” length, and its a length that can read “staid”. The single motif pendants and the twenty motifs, on the other hand, are youthful and fresh on everyone!

So, just like @mrs-b, I actively prefer a pendant over a ten for a first piece anyway!

I have the 10 motif in solid yellow gold, and the original length was awful on me so I had it shortened so it’s more like a choker. VCA took out 2 or 3 links between every motif so it’s around 15.5” which is a really good length on me. I totally agree with you @yssie that the 16.9” can be a dated look.

Lately I’ve been loving the single motif Magic Alhambra, especially when the chain is doubled.:kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the 10 motif in solid yellow gold, and the original length was awful on me so I had it shortened so it’s more like a choker. VCA took out 2 or 3 links between every motif so it’s around 15.5” which is a really good length on me. I totally agree with you @yssie that the 16.9” can be a dated look.

Lately I’ve been loving the single motif Magic Alhambra, especially when the chain is doubled.:kiss2:

Would love to see pics of your shortened necklace if you have any handy! Meanwhilst I’m stalking your threads... ::)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Would love to see pics of your shortened necklace if you have any handy! Meanwhilst I’m stalking your threads... ::)

Lol. I never made a thread for it, but I think it’s in a thread about everyday necklaces. I wear it all the time, usually by itself.

1F41543B-7E3E-428B-909B-42E1B7239BFB.jpeg
Here it is @yssie .

Last edited:

okthen

Rough_Rock
Do you live near a VCA store? If you do, stop by and try on some of their pendants.
The quality and feel of a VCA piece of jewelry is amazing.

After experiencing a VCA piece, I don't think you would want anything other than the real thing.

I should stop being lazy and go!

okthen

Rough_Rock
i don't own one but seems like those who do can easily spot it as a lookalike... who knows in the real world if people would get close enough to notice but that's a lot of $ to drop on a replica imho.

i don't think anyone has a monopoly on quatrefoil designs but VCA's style is distinctive... if it is the design and the brand name you like i agree with the posters suggesting the smaller pendant (probably more wearable, too!) and if it's a designer multi-station clover necklace that you like, other brands make them ...david yurman, roberto coin, etc.

Exactly my point, mop and clover pre-date VCA. Thanks for the pointers, I am gonna check out DY and RC didn't know they did clovers! This place is so helpful.

okthen

Rough_Rock
Agree! I have the MOP pendant. I wear it very carefully but still got scratches. I brought it back to VCA for polish. They had to take the MOP out to polish, but when they put it back, the ball shape prongs are flattened. It doesn't look the same anymore. I am so upset.

Scary!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Send it back!
You can always reject a repair. I’ve done this with VCA, Cartier, Tiffany... It’s no hassle - they just note what’s wrong and send it back out!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Send it back!
You can always reject a repair. I’ve done this with VCA, Cartier, Tiffany... It’s no hassle - they just note what’s wrong and send it back out!

It was over 10 years ago. I was inexperienced. It will be a totally different story if it happens now.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Well that's the idea of this post -- to draw on collective wisdom to avoid making mistakes I only know are mistakes a few years down the line.

That is also the idea off the other two "knockoff" posts and the under-30 post (funny that you bring them up though).

However, real gold and diamonds minus the designer stamp on designs that are not groundbreaking original (a clover and marquise in a basket setting) is not my idea of a knockoff and won't be to many people :)

If you identify that clovers aren’t groundbreaking original then why not get real gold one from another designer that’s in your budget. I saw in your other post that you bought a replica designer purse to “see” how you like it. I find it strange that you want help with identifying why not to buy replicas when that seems to be your preference. Is it that your really seeking advice so your knowledgeable and can purchase super fakes.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t vouch for the site but…ohhh :kiss2:
How about preloved?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t vouch for the site but…ohhh :kiss2:
How about preloved?

It's rarely worth buying second hand since the prices are so close to retail. The onyx pendant is $2620 new and $2490 on this site. So the extra $130 is well worth paying to get a an authentic, brand new piece.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's rarely worth buying second hand since the prices are so close to retail. The onyx pendant is $2620 new and $2490 on this site. So the extra $130 is well worth paying to get a an authentic, brand new piece.

Oh my!! You are so right!! Thank you and apologies to the OP!! I would definitely be buying new in that case!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results