shape
carat
color
clarity

Van Cleef alhambra owners, please rate this lookalike!

okthen

Rough_Rock
So, I've been patrolling Etsy for solid gold lookalikes of the VCA 10-motif necklace.

But no luck, everything there is silver plated with gold that looks too yellow.

Enter this ebay store: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393042266867?hash=item5b83250af3:g:ZEQAAOSwVH1fyWgo

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Do you think it looks like the real deal? Please be honest!

The price is not too bad (lower would be better) and they have single motif pendants too.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 10

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks nice, but there is ALWAYS danger when buying fake copies of something. For me personally, I would rather go without than buy a replica.

But if they have a good return policy & feedback, then you have nothing to lose by checking it out in person.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
It looks fake. The Alhambra necklace has 10 quatrefoils, so the length of chain between them is much shorter than your version, there is no extender to change the length, the color of the VCA gold is darker, and the tiny quatrefoil on the clasp screams replica.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would save that money to go to a piece that is actually legitimate VCA, whether purchased new or second hand from a retailer that you can trust. I'm sure the ladies in the VCA thread can point you to resellers.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m very happy to say that you won’t get any support for a search for VCA knockoffs here on PS.

Edit: I note that three of your five threads here on PS are about knockoffs. I also note that you’re the person who started the under-30 collection thread. If I may voice a potentially presumptive opinion - I think that a few years from now you will regret spending “real” money (which two thousand dollars most definitely is!) on wannabes/lookalikes. The authentic versions will hold value timelessly and I think would be within your budget if you’re willing to prioritize authenticity over additional pieces.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I like certain designer items too. I can’t afford basically any of them at this point.

But honestly, I don’t think it’s worth buying fakes. I’ve come to term with the facts
that I will just have to wait and I’m honestly happy to. It’s one thing to reproduce an antique that’s no longer available, or buy something similar that is ultimately a different interpretation because of aesthetic appeal.

I had a reproduction made of a design from another a vendor. I regret doing it, and I am reminded of that choice every time I look at it and it feels…well, cheap. It wasn’t even a famous designer. I chose not to buy from the original vendor because their benchwork was sloppy and overpriced, but I still think it was the wrong thing to do. People are much more inclined to scrutinize a high end, well known motif.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Also, if you want that designer look for less I don’t think anyone is going to scoff at the many beautiful silver pieces from Tiffany’s, or just get something from a lesser known vendor that looks and feels luxe, like a diamond by the yard necklace.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
To my untrained eye (I'm an antique/vintage person and have limited exposure to current designer items) the eBay version doesn't look the same because of the difference in number of quatrefoils/clovers, while at the same time it definitely appears to be a knockoff to me as the components seem too identical to the original to be something that's "Inspired by". Personally I wouldn't spend money on it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents.
The genuine VCA is stunning, exquisitely made but very expensive.
Just as people might choose a Tiffany look a like setting because they love the style but not the $$$$, people choose VCA lookalikes because they like the design and materials.
I have such a necklace, actually it’s my sisters, she loves purple but lives in France. You can’t have replicas there, it’s a criminal offence. Mum didn’t know when she bought it. To be fair to Mum she had no idea it was a VCA replica she thought was pretty purple and shell clovers shapes 917CF645-6B68-403A-BB18-D9F4790B4714.jpeg . It’s in sterling silver, I think she paid $200 for it from a shop here in Sydney. I’ve seen similar on Etsy.
The quality is fine, but I don’t know how it compares to the real thing.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
It does not look like real VCA for the reasons posted upthread (spacing is the most glaring difference, in my opinion). I think you’ll be hard pressed to find an accurate fine-jewelry replica listed publicly online, as that would be illegal to sell on most platforms. If you want the look for less, why not go the Etsy costume-jewelry route?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread reminds me of " please rate my fake Rolex" on the watch forum. :bigsmile:

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
So, I've been patrolling Etsy for solid gold lookalikes of the VCA 10-motif necklace.

But no luck, everything there is silver plated with gold that looks too yellow.

Enter this ebay store: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393042266867?hash=item5b83250af3:g:ZEQAAOSwVH1fyWgo

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Do you think it looks like the real deal? Please be honest!

The price is not too bad (lower would be better) and they have single motif pendants too.

Thanks in advance!

Everyone who’s familiar with VCA can take one look at this and know it a knockoff. Never invest good money on replica jewelry. I would recommend saving toward that special piece if VCA is your ultimate goal. It takes time and patience to amass a fine jewelry collection.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few tips for someone starting out....

As a general rule of thumb, if classy is what you're going for, keep it plain. If the rest of your collection isn't of the same standard, knock-offs will be a big give-away that you're faking it. If you can't afford the big ticket items, keep it simple: an 18kt yellow gold chain with a unique pendant would fit better into your collection that something that's imitation.

Lots of doo-dads and bells and whistles cost money and don't add a lot.

Make a list of the pieces you want. Make it dispassionately. Don't be afraid to add things like "3 ct colorless, eye clean, ideal cut solitaire" - if that's what you want. You need to know where you're heading to get there in the end.

Jewelry is almost NEVER an investment, regardless of purity and weight. You pay for labor and design. There's no way of getting around that.

As for the piece in this thread - the same people who won't know it's imitation also won't know it's meant to look like VCA. So there's little to be gained by buying this sort of knock off. The people who know what this is meant to be will also know that it isn't that.

Have you considered a Cartier Love bangle? For some reason, I feel as tho that would be far more 'you' than this - or even a real VCA. It's possible that I say that because I am NOT a VCA fan (the clover motif leaves me more than cold) - but even so, I just see you as being a Cartier girl. And there ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Good luck. Stay away from the fakies!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it is too expensive and it would be better to save for the real thing. I realize the real thing is very expensive and certainly not everyone can do that. There are pieces I certainly cannot justify buying. But if you like clovers and want something with that look, I'd go for the sterling that is gold plated over this.

Just wanted to add that I agree that a VCA single vintage Alhambra pendant would be a smarter purchase.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with PPs. I also would love one but can’t justify it at this time. I found a replica Mother of Pearl three clover motif at TJ Maxx and wore it a tad. It was super cheap (<$50) and made me realize that only the real one will do, yet I do still pull it out from time to time. Perhaps start off a lot less expensive and see if you even like it on yourself.

okthen

Rough_Rock
I’m very happy to say that you won’t get any support for a search for VCA knockoffs here on PS.

Edit: I note that three of your five threads here on PS are about knockoffs. I also note that you’re the person who started the under-30 collection thread. If I may voice a potentially presumptive opinion - I think that a few years from now you will regret spending “real” money (which two thousand dollars most definitely is!) on wannabes/lookalikes. The authentic versions will hold value timelessly and I think would be within your budget if you’re willing to prioritize authenticity over additional pieces.

Well that's the idea of this post -- to draw on collective wisdom to avoid making mistakes I only know are mistakes a few years down the line.

That is also the idea off the other two "knockoff" posts and the under-30 post (funny that you bring them up though).

However, real gold and diamonds minus the designer stamp on designs that are not groundbreaking original (a clover and marquise in a basket setting) is not my idea of a knockoff and won't be to many people :)

okthen

Rough_Rock
I think it looks nice, but there is ALWAYS danger when buying fake copies of something. For me personally, I would rather go without than buy a replica.

But if they have a good return policy & feedback, then you have nothing to lose by checking it out in person.

Good point i.e. no harm in trying. Unfortunately the shipping back and forth will be hefty if I end up returning it!

okthen

Rough_Rock
It looks fake. The Alhambra necklace has 10 quatrefoils, so the length of chain between them is much shorter than your version, there is no extender to change the length, the color of the VCA gold is darker, and the tiny quatrefoil on the clasp screams replica.

Thanks for that! in my excitement I didn't even notice the necklace hangs weird.

okthen

Rough_Rock
I like certain designer items too. I can’t afford basically any of them at this point.

But honestly, I don’t think it’s worth buying fakes. I’ve come to term with the facts
that I will just have to wait and I’m honestly happy to. It’s one thing to reproduce an antique that’s no longer available, or buy something similar that is ultimately a different interpretation because of aesthetic appeal.

I had a reproduction made of a design from another a vendor. I regret doing it, and I am reminded of that choice every time I look at it and it feels…well, cheap. It wasn’t even a famous designer. I chose not to buy from the original vendor because their benchwork was sloppy and overpriced, but I still think it was the wrong thing to do. People are much more inclined to scrutinize a high end, well known motif.

Great advice, thanks!

okthen

Rough_Rock
My 5 cents.
The genuine VCA is stunning, exquisitely made but very expensive.
Just as people might choose a Tiffany look a like setting because they love the style but not the $$$$, people choose VCA lookalikes because they like the design and materials.
I have such a necklace, actually it’s my sisters, she loves purple but lives in France. You can’t have replicas there, it’s a criminal offence. Mum didn’t know when she bought it. To be fair to Mum she had no idea it was a VCA replica she thought was pretty purple and shell clovers shapes 917CF645-6B68-403A-BB18-D9F4790B4714.jpeg . It’s in sterling silver, I think she paid $200 for it from a shop here in Sydney. I’ve seen similar on Etsy.
The quality is fine, but I don’t know how it compares to the real thing.

It's beautiful! I agree, VCA is beautiful but outrageously expensive.

okthen

Rough_Rock

okthen

Rough_Rock
This thread reminds me of " please rate my fake Rolex" on the watch forum. :bigsmile:

I know someone who has a fake Rolex. They are very smart, motivated and a nice person. I am sure they will buy the real one one day soon :)

okthen

Rough_Rock

As a general rule of thumb, if classy is what you're going for, keep it plain. If the rest of your collection isn't of the same standard, knock-offs will be a big give-away that you're faking it. If you can't afford the big ticket items, keep it simple: an 18kt yellow gold chain with a unique pendant would fit better into your collection that something that's imitation.

Make a list of the pieces you want. Make it dispassionately. Don't be afraid to add things like "3 ct colorless, eye clean, ideal cut solitaire" - if that's what you want. You need to know where you're heading to get there in the end.

Jewelry is almost NEVER an investment, regardless of purity and weight. You pay for labor and design. There's no way of getting around that.

As for the piece in this thread - the same people who won't know it's imitation also won't know it's meant to look like VCA. So there's little to be gained by buying this sort of knock off. The people who know what this is meant to be will also know that it isn't that.

Have you considered a Cartier Love bangle? For some reason, I feel as tho that would be far more 'you' than this - or even a real VCA. It's possible that I say that because I am NOT a VCA fan (the clover motif leaves me more than cold) - but even so, I just see you as being a Cartier girl. And there ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Great advice and very well put. I am not inclined towards Cartier unfortunately but seem to be drawn towards clovers (opposite of you, I am guessing!). I am bumping this down to the list :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I am coming around to the fact that maybe a single motif that is perfect on every way is all I can afford right now!

@okthen - I think this is a great option. And it's not an "all I can afford right now" alternative. Some people (like me, for instance) prefer a single pendant. Forgive me if this sounds...indelicate...but if I wanted a multi motif VCA, I'd go out this afternoon and buy one. But if it was a choice between that and a single - I'd take the single. I just plain prefer them.

A single pendant VCA necklace has a casual je ne sais quoi vibe of not trying too hard. It's a great look.

Just to clarify - I love the Alhambra design in plain metals or pave. The Alhambra bracelet that @diamondseeker2006 owns, for instance, is one of my secret PriceScope obsessions. It's just those MOP ones and the stone ones that leave me super cold.

Love...this:

Sooooo not a fan of...this:

But when it comes to aesthetics - to each his/her own. Anyway, I completely agree with the single motif option and think you'll get a quality piece you can wear and love forever.

Looking forward to seeing photos when the time comes! :wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The bolded mirrors my thoughts exactly!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I personally think that the ten motif can be a bit ageing. Not on everyone - @LLJsmom had a chalcedony ten that she looks like a million bucks in! But... The length means that it hits many people at a very very “traditional” length, and its a length that can read “staid”. The single motif pendants and the twenty motifs, on the other hand, are youthful and fresh on everyone!

So, just like @mrs-b, I actively prefer a pendant over a ten for a first piece anyway!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Do you live near a VCA store? If you do, stop by and try on some of their pendants.
The quality and feel of a VCA piece of jewelry is amazing.

After experiencing a VCA piece, I don't think you would want anything other than the real thing.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
For me personally, I would rather go without than buy a replica.
Me too. Even a perfect, 100% identical replica that no-one else could tell from the real thing - I would know.

I have such a necklace, actually it’s my sisters, she loves purple but lives in France. You can’t have replicas there, it’s a criminal offence.

I didn't actually know this, but it makes sense. The French have a real respect for art and design.

In your place I'd buy a single motif of the real thing (VCA). Is this what you meant when you said you're considering a single motif pendant? I think that would be beautiful and honestly I think you'd find it much more special than a lookalike.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results