shape
carat
color
clarity

Valentine''s Day is here:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
Sooo lets hear it everyone...

what are your plans? Is anyone proposing/not proposing? Dinner/Dancing/Travelling/Choclates/Teddy Bears? What are you guys doing?

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Going Fine Dining.

A couple new Valentines Love TY Bennie Baby Bears I'm giving her .. she collects TY Bennie Baby Bears.

Nice quiet evening at home after dinner!
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're going to Vegas next week for our Valentine's day present
appl.gif
Three day break from our highly demanding toddlers and I'm so excited!

On the 14th, we may end up going out for a fun dinner, like Mexican food, but probably not much more than that & maybe a rental movie since we need to save our money for the slot machines and buffet dinners
9.gif

Michelle

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what I'm doing that day, because my guy won't budge. He may surprise me with something, but then again, we may end up on the couch watching a Net Flix movie...
9.gif

Either way, I have some activities planned myself.
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just moved into our new place so Valentine's Day pickins are going to be slim.
2.gif
Greg's going to be surprised with his ACA diamond for his wedding ring (psuedo gift since he doesn't get to keep it just yet) and also a few cards. I'll probably get a card.
1.gif

We are also doing fondue at home (fondue is my fave and we go to La Fondue so much that I have perfected their cheese and chocolate recipes and can replicate them quite well at home)...since the house is our big V-Day present to ourselves.
1.gif
Oh and then we'll christen our new jet tub with it's first bath ever. Hopefully we both fit!
naughty.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone. Unfortunately since my boyfriend and I are at college, there isn't much to do around here. We will go out to dinner I'm sure, and other than that maybe watch a movie at night. As for what we are doing during the day, we are both at a loss - you'd think a college town would have more entertainment for these things. Oh well, I'm sure we'll both enjoy ourselves anyhow.
1.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
I am planning on getting Paul a new computer. Normally, we don't give lavish gifts at Valentine's day (usually just a nice dinner, cards exchanged and some cuddling), but since we need a new Computer anyway, I figured it would be nice. Our wonderful old computer which has served us well for a few years now is just getting old. I am pretty sure he's getting me a spa certificate, which is what I want, since I looveee going and getting facials and massages, etc. If anyone in the bay area needs to know about a wonderful spa to go to it's the Spa at Los Gatos. Amazing, amazing place. It's so tranquil I want to move in there!
2.gif

The rest of the evening, I am planning on cooking a nice meal for us. I am not a "crowds" person, so if I know that I have to deal with a lot of people on a holiday to go out to eat, I would rather stay home.

Oh! Mara - I LOVE La Fondue. It's my favorite restaurant by far. I would love to know how you replicate their fondues. I have a fondue pot, but have never used it! sad. My favorite cheese fondue is their sun dried tomato fondue & my FAVORITE chocolate fondue was the decadent fondue, but sadly, I don't think they offer that one anymore (it was a mix of all the chocolates together)
cry.gif
The last couple times I was there I was able to sweet talk the waiter with a wink and smile to make it for us.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am on my way out but they DO still have that PG! We were just there 2 weeks ago and they had it. Our fave chocolate is Kahlua and Bittersweet, which they took off the menu but if you ask for it by name they will make it for you.
1.gif

We like the classic white wine, garlic, spices and cheese mixture, they use Gruyere and something else..it's yummi! So it's pretty easy to replicate at home, lots of garlic, mix of the swiss sharp and mild cheeses, nutmeg and wine!
1.gif
For chocolate we do our fave that I mentioned above and I even get our favorite dipping items like bananas, strawberries, rice crispy treats etc.

However, as much fun as it is to do fondue at home (I have 2 pots), we still go to LF for fun...nothing beats the actual experience and I LOVE their grilling 'La Romantique' meats!
1.gif

Pearl

Rough_Rock
Chris wants to go to the Seattle Aquarium for Valentines day. We were set up on a blind date on Valentines date (actually a SHAFT dance). So we will probably do that then walk around Pikes Place Market, checking things out.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/12/2004 8:07:44 PM Pearl wrote:

Chris wants to go to the Seattle Aquarium for Valentines day. We were set up on a blind date on Valentines date (actually a SHAFT dance). So we will probably do that then walk around Pikes Place Market, checking things out.----------------

Wow, you're in Redmond? lol I didn't realize there is another member so close to me.

Hope you have a nice time at the aquarium. We love it down there
1.gif

Michelle

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Mara, give!!!

Where did you find a ceramic pot for the cheese fondue? I've been looking for one since the last time fondue was in vogue (about 30 years ago) to no avail.

Since I need tons of protein, since my surgery, and cheese is so easy on my tummy I devour lots of cheese...please give me a hint??? I know you must have a ceramic one, because the cheese is too hard to clean from the metal ones!

win

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
We're... possibly looking at kittens at our local Humaine Society, but most likely will end up doing nothing.
2.gif
We're in the middle of buying a house, so I can count that as my Vday present!!
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
We have a very romantic valentine's day date with the tax accountant.

Actually, I'm close enough to being a newlywed that I DO find it romantic that the government considers us no longer two, but one.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
*hangs head in shame*

Yes I have a metal fondue pot. They were gifts for my birthday last year....the cheese is not so hard to clean when you have an anal fiance like mine.
1.gif
Soaking is our friend. Since mine are not the expensive ones with burners where you can actually COOK in them....we make the cheese and chocolate in double broilers on the stove, then just pour it into the fondue pots and light the little votives to keep it warm. Effective for now.
1.gif
Eventually I would like one with a burner in it. Two is better.
1.gif

What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004VXBZ/qid=/sr=1-1/ref=pd_sbs_k_1/104-8063240-6207149?v=glance&s=kitchen

and a cool article on fondue...along with the recipe for the classic cheese fondue that I was talking about. Emmenthaler is the other cheese!
1.gif

http://www.foodtv.com/food/et_pa_fondue/article/0,1972,FOOD_9857_1710083,00.html

Oh and in case anyone is wondering...we don't just eat cheese and chocolate for dinner at home when we do fondue, though we could probably easily get full off of it....I am going to make herb-crusted filet mignons for the main dish!
1.gif

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
We are doing the fondue thing too. First we are going to have a nice steak dinner here at home. Then after we put the little runt to bed it's chocolate fondue, champagne, candles.......whatever creativity we come up with
9.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my husband gets to look forward to an exciting day of architecture licensing exams. He'll be doing some last minute cramming for the exam the night before V-day, so I'm thinking he'll be really tired on Sat. We're just eating in and taking it easy. We've never really done anything huge for V-day anyway. Our first wedding anniversary is coming up on 3/3 so we'll do something really special then.

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
Last year around Valentine's day Nic(Rez) & I were in the "newly dating serious" phase of our relationship. She had made plans to go down to Key West with a few of her friends. I took a last minute flight to go down and spend Valentine's day with her. ( I have "separation anxiety" issues. We've spent every day together since we started dating!!
loopy.gif
). I even dragged a friend of mine along. (There were other potential single women in the group)

So we landed at MIA, spent a day at South Beach and then drove down to Key West. We had blast. My friend and I had to be back in to work so we had made plans to leave a day earlier. When we got back to MIA, we realized that our travel agent had goofed up our return dates ( He had set our return date for March). The airlines were all booked and there were no available seats left for us. (If you guys remember last Valentine's day there was a big storm in the North East)

We picked up a rental car and started to drive north. On the way I called a friend who began checking major airports along our drive to see if we could catch any available flights. Finally he found us 2 business class seats departing from Atlanta, Georgia to Newark, NJ (air tran, its cheap). We took the detour to Atlanta, got to the airport and picked up our tickets. Our flight was delayed by an hour due to the snow storm but we were the first flight in into Newark. In at work by lunch time. Nic's flight landed the next night and I picked her up from the airport.

It was the most memorable Valentines day weekend ever. This year, I think we'll both take it slow, do the dinner/dancing thing.

For you fondue lovers on the east cost, there is a great french restaurant in New York City on 55th between 5th and 6th.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what's with Fondue on Valentine's day? my girlfriend who's going to a B&B in Mystic, CT for the weekend is taking ONE Special thing....her Fondue! Mind you, this is MOST LIKELY the weekend she get's engaged (and I think she knows it)...we have a feeling. I LOVE fondue, but is it really that romantic? Someone enlighten me...
confused.gif

That being said, if anyone is in the NYC area, Do go to La Bonne Soupe (the BEST little French bistro EVER!) and DON'T go to Arisanal...it's got so-so fondue, and isn't worth the price!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love playing with my food. The interactive nature of it. Also it is a nice leisurely dinner with alot of talking, giggling because of the clumsy nature of fondue...it's just much more fun than someone plunking down a plate of food in front of you and going to town. I think esp for us having been together longer *and* living together, doing something like fondue takes us out of the 'regular' life or busy days and is something really different where it's guaranteed we have fun. I can be in the worst mood (scary, trust me) and La Fondue makes me happy. Plus their environment is SO COOL. Or maybe that was the free bottle of wine they gave us last time for seating us late.
9.gif

Plus hello...melted chocolate in a private room? Do you really need more explanation?
9.gif
That is something that the public fondue houses don't have! hehee.
rolleyes.gif

My matron of honor's birthday is tomorrow (Vday!) and she and her hubby have been dying to go to La Fondue for a while, we always just talk about it. I am tempted to splurge on her this year and take them there over the next few weeks as her birthday present (and ourselves too obviously
naughty.gif
).

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well I admit it's fun, but I haven't seen romantic. My three girlfriends and I when we can all get together (usually about 1 a month) we head right to La Bonne Soupe our local Fondue home. Not sure who found it, but we all swear by it.

It's casual and so perfectly French in bustling midtown Manhattan that even the little balcony filled with plants and flowers makes you forget you overlook a busy street! We always order rad wine, and some crepes or steak au poivre to go along with it, and we always have a GREAT time. I am not a fan of the choloate fondue, just doesn't do much for me...

I suppose chocolate cake or chocolate mouse is more my style with some sumptuous liquor drenching it...perhaps some raspberries on top with a light dusting of cocoa...*panting*
love.gif

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like everyone is planning a nice V-Day. The fondue sounds especially yummy!
lickout.gif

We are going to South Beach next week so Valentine's will be delayed a bit (but what a great delay!) We are not winter people so anywhere warm when it's cold outside is perfect for us!
Probably no proposal
sad.gif
. He would never do it on such an expected date as Valentines Day. Maybe someday though...
2.gif

Anyway, enjoy the weekend...Spring is right around the corner!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last Valestines was on Nantucket Island... this one will be hiking the Danube's Gorge - one heck of a view I can't wait to se again after five years or so
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
We are looking forward to a nice weekend in the country *together* since both of us have been traveling to different places.

I won't be getting anything except a card & chocolates. My present is getting something for someone else.
12.gif

I never thought the fondue thing to be romantic. It has been a *family* tradition since I can remember to have it on special occassions (always Christmas Eve - and my father cooks!). We have a Caphalon one & a Crueset one. The like the crueset one the best. BUT, my brother bought one the doesn't rely on sterno (I think Caphalon). It plugs in & is *so* much easier than messing w/ the fire.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I adore fondue, as shown in my last post, but need a great pot...love the cheese, adore the meat, so so on the chocolate, (but it's ok with fruits, like banana and strawberry.

I got my SO a card and a chocolate heart lolli, but we are taking a friend out for brunch on Sunday, and in this belt tightening mode, that will be our 'celebration'.

win

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2004 4:31:14 PM winyan wrote:

I adore fondue, as shown in my last post, but need a great pot...love the cheese, adore the meat, -

Of all the pots in the family, the Crueset one works best for meats.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
mmmmmm.... fondue.
5.gif
5.gif
lickout.gif

My favorite is beer and cheese with sourdough bread cubes.
lickout.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
LG are you suggesting that perhaps instead of wine in the gruyere you would prefer it with beer...and you dip the sourdough in it? WOW! Well sourdough is MY fave bread. Mmmm!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're dining out tonight and spending the day snow shoeing in the pristine peace of the mountains tomorrow. He promised me that we'll see Return of the King tomorrow night. This is a huge sacrifice for him; he's extremely active and sitting still is not his forte -- but it is the tradeoff for me schlepping through the snow up the steepest mountain he can find.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2004 4:39:33 PM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
On 2/13/2004 4:31:14 PM winyan wrote:

I adore fondue, as shown in my last post, but need a great pot...love the cheese, adore the meat, -

Of all the pots in the family, the Crueset one works best for meats.
----------------

That's the one we have and you're right, it does work well. Cheese just peels off it when it's cold. We bought ours years ago in Dijon and it still looks like new. It's bright red (the in colour at the time
9.gif
)

The best fondue I ever tasted was in Interlaken, but then it would be! What a romantic setting too.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all!!!

My original pot and pan set was La Crueset, I guess I should have kept on collecting!

Hmmmm...will have to check out Macy's soon!

Thanks again!

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results