shape
carat
color
clarity

Valentines Day gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Okay ladies and gentlemen...

Anyone have gift ideas for Valentine''''''''s Day. I just spent a lot of money on my bf''''''''s bday gift, so I''''''''m looking for quality, not quantity. He''''''''s impossible to shop for... has everything, needs nothing.

Help!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for moving the topic -- I must have missed the Shopping Forum...

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock

I guess I''m not sure which one to respond to because your post is here says it was moved to shopping and the one on shopping says it has been moved here...either way you''ll see it, right? I think it fits in here just fine.

Anyway, I''m never really sure what to get my bf for Vday. We don''t really do big gifts, just small ones. While I enjoy the whole going out and getting dressed up, I don''t get too caught up in that one day. Anyway, last year I was saving for spring break in Paris so I definitely didn''t have much to spare. What I did was put together a little bag of minis and fun things for the night: a small bottle of champagne (we never finish a whole one so why waste it/pay for it?), chocolate covered strawberries, small bottles of bubble bath and massage lotion, and some other things I don''t want to name

2.gif
I also baked him his favorite cookies. I think the most expensive things were the strawberries, but that''s because I couldn''t think of any place other than Godiva to go for them. I''m sure there are less expensive candy stores. I honestly probably could''ve just made him the cookies and he would''ve loved the surprise just as much!

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
buy yourself some nice lingerie (or not) and give him a night he''ll never forget! LOL doesn''t cost a thing!

seriously though...my man is hard to shop for as well. the only thing i think he''s really liked is this nice (but really expensive) Tumi breifcase I bought him for his bday.

oh, that and sunglasses.

other random ideas:

nice high thread count sheets (usually boys don''t buy these for themselves)
money clip
wallet
gadget thingamabob
dvds
gift certificate to a spa for a massage
tickets to a sporting or music event
vaja ipod case (if he''s got an ipod)
lift tickets to go boarding/skiing
headphones for an mp3 player
make him a shirt - print out his nickname or whatever on iron on transfer paper and iron onto a plain long sleeve t.
cook him a fabulous filet mignon dinner

ok... can''t think of anything else.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I like to do a lot of little gifts, but sometimes I''ll do big ones if I know of something in particular.

these are the staples...
*v-day boxers
*sweet card
*bag with lots of candy (he loves chocolate)
*liquor or wine (he loves Crown)
*framed picture of the two of you

bigger gifts
*coach belt (last year)
*personalized stationery (this year)

you could always cook a romantic dinner for him at home...cheaper than going to a nice restaurant or you can do both.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the ideas!
36.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
This year I''m buying him a bottle of the cologne that I like to smell (I''m so over his basic staples....coolwater, obsession, curve)

My favorite is PaulSebastian - I don''t care whether or not he likes it - he''ll wear it because he''ll know I love it!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I want to get my fiance one of the new PS2s. He doesn''t have a PS2 and I know he would like one.. but he says he doesn''t want me to spend that much. He also says he''d rather have a cold air intake for his car.. but i find buying him car parts soooo unpersonal and tacky.. but if its what he wants....... should I get him that?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melissa, as a car-afficionado, myself - I think he will really appreciate it if you get him something for his car, though a cold-air-intake may be the biggest waste of money for you (and him) if he has a non-turbo car.

What kind of car does he have? What''s your budget, etc.? Maybe I can help you. . .

appletini

Ideal_Rock
MS: I''ll warn you on the PS2. Some guys have a video game obsession (i.e. my ex) and so don''t do it unless you are prepared to sacrifice lots of quality time. Luckily my wonderful man isn''t into gaming even though he has a PS2, so I don''t have to worry about him.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Lauren - He has a 2001 Subaru Impreza (non-turbo) and he''s been talking about the cold-air intake for like a year now deciding whether or not to get it. someone is selling one he thinks he wants. I really don''t know anything about it.. but he does. He''s on a zillion car forums and supposedly other subaru owners tell him that it is a good idea for his car. (He really wants an engine swap.. but thats a whole other story!)

Appletini - I know alll about the video game obsession. I have already bought him a gamecube, an xbox, a gameboy advance sp, a sega genesis and an original atari. The PS2 won''t make THAT much of a differnce at this point. He''ll just play that more instead of his xbox. He is actually REALLY good about not neglecting me for his video games. (Better than I am about not neglecting him for PS and theknot!!). He could be doing better things instead of playing video games, like finding a job.. but what can ya do?

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Is your bf a music lover? There is some new Nirvana special thing that hit stores sometime in 2004. It''s called WITH THE LIGHTS OUT. It has 3 cds and 1 DVD (unreleased recordings, unseen footage, etc). I don''t know very much about it, but my bf and his music obsessed friends have been talking about it for a while. He hasn''t bought it yet, so I bought it for him for V-day. I just hope he doesn''t buy it before I can give it to him!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
I went for monogrammed cufflinks- classic and less than $100 from Blue Nile
1.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Video games are EVIL!

That is all I have to say on that subject. Evil, evil, evil!!!!

Hmph, might have something to do with how the xbox has that internet connection and I keep getting ignored for it
29.gif
Whatever box that system is in might just not make it to Chicago when he moves here
11.gif
! To be honest, he doesnt play when I''m in town, so I can''t complain *too* much, but I am sure that would change when he comes here since it would be normal to have me around.
MelissaSue, I don''t know how you stand all that gamig! You''re a much better girlfriend than I am
1.gif

Erin, I did that a couple yrs ago with a cologne: Armani Aqua di''Gio or something like that. He''s gotten so many compliments on it and I love it, which is all that matters!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 2:32
6.gif
6 AM
Author: twinkletoes

gadget thingamabob

My bf already has all of these... damned techno-geek!!
9.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
I like handmade things for romantic gifts, like a card booklet, or go paint some pottery (like you can here:http://www.colormemine.com/), or a bunch of little things, like cute boxers, candy, naughty toys etc. in a pretty decorated bag.

As for gaming...there''s one way to deal with it - if you can''t beat ''em, join em. :D My BF and I play XBox together all the time, and with friends.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I got an ex of mine a Playstation for some event once... aside from the thousands of other things that went wrong with the relationship, he basically ignored me after that... excuse was that he was playing... So, no video games for the baby boy...

However, I think I might be off the hook a little... we were talking this morning on the subway to work and discussing how ridiculously freezing it is outside. I keep telling him that I''m going to get him earmuffs, but he''s very concerned with The Hair. (He is the definition of a metrosexual). But... I found these earmuffs that go around the back of his head so I joked with him that I was going to get them for him for Valentine''s Day. He then looked at the VERY EXPENSIVE cufflinks that I got him for his birthday and said, ''but you already got me my Valentine''s Day present...'' So... I''m now thinking something small like a simple frame with a nice picture of us that he can bring to the office.
We''ll see... thanks for all of the ideas though!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Mark used to really like his 180''s - the earmuff that go around the head when he was hair conscious. Now he shaves his head bald and prefers the kangol. I swear with his bald head, goatee, kangol cap, sunglasses and black leather coat - he looks like a thug - but then he removes his winter gear and he''s wearing a lavendar dress shirt with a $50 tie and pressed dress pants. Talk about metro - I think he only owns one white dress shirt - the rest are aaaallll the colors of the rainbow.

You know what you can tell about a man who a fabulous wardrobe?

His wife (gf) is great at picking out clothes.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
If only that were true... my bf picks out his own clothes. In fact, he likes to help me pick out mine. He''s picky, picky, picky. He will listen to my advice when we''re shopping together... but the suits and ties and shirts, for the most part, are all his doing. I think I am definitely the ''boy'' in our relationship. He even had a cat as a single man!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Erin and ammayernyc, that is too funny--my boy is a metro as well. He is obsessed with Thomas Pink and tends towards fitted button-downs in easter-egg shades! Nice to hear he''s not the only one!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Blueroses: If I didn''t know better, I would think we were dating the same man! My bf just bought about 8 shirts from Thomas Pink -- two were white, but the rest were pink, purple, lt blue... is it sad that I think he looks hot in girly colors?!
2.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone''s bf/fiance wear a tie to work every day? I bought my bf a really nice Hermes tie for Christmas -- it''s something that I wouldn''t normally recommend as a gift -- but if he wears one EVERY day it actually is a nice thing to do.....but only if it''s a really REALLY nice tie -- like something hewould never or rarely buy himself. Ferragamo has so many nice ones also -- I actually bought my bf one of those, then returned it and got the Hermes.....

as for V-day for my guy....well i''m completely clueless also......... keep tossing the ideas out!!

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah -- I think Sirius or XM satellite radio is an excellent gift -- as long as your bf/fiance doesn''t mind having something non-factory installed in his car. I wanted to do this for my bf, but luckily I found out that he didn''t want his "wiring" messed with on his precious car....lol!! oh well! his loss!!!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Is it sad that he looks better in those colors than I do?

I''m more of an olive, chocolate, orange, eggshell, mustard, (food on the brain?) color kinda gal.

He''s pink, lavender, cobalt blue, light grey, mint green.

TOTAL CLASH!!!!!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
My bf wears a tie almost every day. I''ve bought him an Hermes one too... but I spent so much money on his bday gift that I need to tone down the gift a little. In the past three years I''ve given him, 1. a ''dirty'' coupon book, 2. v-day themed boxers, 3. a wine tasting class.

I''m definitely getting him a card since I''ve stopped giving them to him because all he does is read them and throw them out...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
ammayernyc, that is too funny--mine came home from Christmas with about 8 new ones as well--(and I got one for Christmas too....and yes, it''s pretty but Erin, I''m with you!!--the pastels are better on him!!)

Here''s one thought for those of you in NYC: For my bf''s 30th, one of the things I got him was a gift certificate to The Art of Shaving. It''s on Madison in the mid-40s, I think. Anyway, they do this thing called "The Royal Shave" and it''s like a straight-razor shave/aromatherapy facial for men! He LOVED it--and it wasn''t that pricey, like between 50-60? Cheaper than a girl facial! In fact, they featured it on Queer Eye the other day. But for those of you in NY who are stumped, that one was a hit.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh blue, I"ve always wanted to get one of those for my bf!

Has anyone found other places that will do those? Either Chicago or DC I''d love to know...guess I''ll have to do a little research!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Blue824, they apparently also have locations in Las Vegas and Miami. Maybe you could call them and ask if they know of anyone comparable in Chicago or DC? There has to be something similar in either place.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos/locations.php

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol, you girls crack me up with your metrosexuals!! Mine''s so NOT... but he''s not the anti-, meaning, not the beer-drinking, football-watching, belching-contest man''s man, either. He likes to grill, but that''s about it for his "manly" pursuits.
1.gif

I like that he''s as interested in fashion and trends as I am.... meaning, not!
2.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 5:24:15 PM
Author: goldengirl
lol, you girls crack me up with your metrosexuals!! Mine''s so NOT... but he''s not the anti-, meaning, not the beer-drinking, football-watching, belching-contest man''s man, either. He likes to grill, but that''s about it for his ''manly'' pursuits.
1.gif

I like that he''s as interested in fashion and trends as I am.... meaning, not!
2.gif

Guess that I''ve got a happy medium too... a beer-drinking, football-watching, Xbox-playing guy who cooks me dinner and blames me for making him like expensive clothes (but won''t go near anything pastel). I figure we''re even though cause he taught me to like cream sauce
1.gif
Imagine how svelte I''d be without him
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results