shape
carat
color
clarity

Valentine''s Day dinner menu

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
So instead of buying a gift for my bf for Valentine''s Day I was thinking about making a chi-chi dinner. We both love lobster and while I know it''s out of season I''m thinking of serving it for dinner. I need ideas for side dishes now. I''d like something a little classier than the typical lobster-bake sides. Any other main dish ideas are welcome too!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I made crab cakes for dinner on New Years Eve and they came out really delicious, I can find the recipe for you, if you''d like (but I made a low-fat version so it might not be what you are looking for, I also have a regular version recipe that''s good).

One of my favorite salads is caprese (basil, heirloom tomatoes and soft mozerella cheese with a it of balsamic vinegar and olive oil). You could do a garlic and chive mashed potato as that adds a bit of pazzaz to an otherwise normal dish. Or you could do roasted baby potatoes drizzled with EVOO and a bit of salt and pepper, a really simple but delicious dish. And I always think of asparagus as a more special vegetable (as opposed to brocolli, cauliflower, etc.) drizzle some lemon and balsamic vinegar over it, usually extra delicious.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you don''t want to make "Engagement Chicken"???
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

My FI is a big fan of roasted asparagus. Actually he likes pretty much all roasted veggies now. I turn the oven to 450, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sea salt, and cook for 30-45 minutes. He never liked carrots until this technique entered our kitchen. Now he LOVES them.

Maybe some roasted rosemary potatoes? or mashed potatoes? or au gratin?

Creamed spinach? creamed corn?

I seem to be on a theme here....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, how sweet are you!

My hubby makes me a Heart Shaped Pizza every year; it is a tradition now!!!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I roast asparagus with a bit of coarse salt and pepper, and a drizzle of EVOO. Then, at the end, I sprinkle parmesean on them and give them another minute or two in the oven. Once they are out, I squeeze some fresh lemon on them.

I love a great risotto with wild mushrooms instead of potatoes.

maybe an endive and arugula salad with chopped walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and pear, with a balsamic and walnut oil dressing...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we did lobster last year with cheese fondue to start and then finished with chocolate fondue, but it was pretty time consuming for sure to do all the fondue, fun though.

for a side i second asparagus...or you can do an upscale-ish truffled mac and cheese which is a great side to lobster (i had it in vegas with my lobster tail lol) or what about some roasted potatoes? slice some potatoes up into triangles or squares or whatever, drizzle with olive oil and some lemon juice and toss some diced garlic on it and then cook in about 400 degree oven for maybe 30-40 minutes depending on how large the slices are etc. you could also do something like the potatoes (use rosemary if you don''t like lemon but i love roasted lemon potatoes) and then there is carrots in a lemon butter sauce...we had these tonite and they are one of my fave side dishes! i actually really love lemon on veggies. also i''d recommend some yummy fresh garlic or toasted sourdough as well.

whats for dessert?!

this is making me hungry!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully a phone call - lol - Will have to make up for it when we are together :} giggle :}

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Engagement chicken was the first meal I made for him. He loved it. I've since made it several times so I wanted to change things up a bit. I usually do the chicken with oven roasted red baby potatoes, green beans, or roasted asperagus.

I was thinking about creme brulee for dessert. It's easy to make and not too time consuming either. Or, if I decide not to make it, Trader Joe's has premade creme brulee's in the freezer section which are good. All you do is the fun part with the torch
25.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hudson, Do you have a good Creme Brulee recipe? We got a new torch set to make it, but I don''t like the recipe that came with the set.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
yea I don't like "quick creme brulee" recipes. There's another one that calls for them to just be chilled instead of cooked. I like this one better. I found it originally on the Food Network website. Like I said before, I also keep the Trader Joe's premade ones handy for nights when we're craving it.

9 egg yolks
3/4 cup superfine white sugar plus 6 tablespoons for brulee
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together egg yolks and sugar with a whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and thick.
Pour cream into a medium saucepan over low heat. Using a paring knife, split the vanilla bean down the middle, scrape out the seeds and add them and the pod to saucepan. Bring cream to a brief simmer, do not boil or it will overflow. Remove from heat and temper the yolks by gradually whisking the hot vanilla cream into yolk and sugar mixture. Do not add hot cream too quickly or the eggs will cook. Take vanilla pod out of the cream mixture.

Divide custard into 6 (6-ounce) ramekins, about 3/4 full. Place ramekins on a towel in a roasting pan and fill pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until barely set around the edges, about 40 minutes. You may want to cover loosely with foil to prevent browning. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature (I put into fridge). Transfer the ramekins to the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each chilled custard. Hold a kitchen torch 2 inches above surface to brown the sugar and form a crust.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:55:38 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

9 egg yolks
3/4 cup superfine white sugar plus 6 tablespoons
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together egg yolks and sugar with a whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and thick.
Pour cream into a medium saucepan over low heat. Using a paring knife, split the vanilla bean down the middle, scrape out the seeds and add them and the pod to saucepan. Bring cream to a brief simmer, do not boil or it will overflow. Remove from heat and temper the yolks by gradually whisking the hot vanilla cream into yolk and sugar mixture. Do not add hot cream too quickly or the eggs will cook.

Divide custard into 6 (6-ounce) ramekins, about 3/4 full. Place ramekins on a towel in a roasting pan and fill pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until barely set around the edges, about 40 minutes. You may want to cover loosely with foil to prevent browning. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature (I put into fridge). Transfer the ramekins to the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each chilled custard. Hold a kitchen torch 2 inches above surface to brown the sugar and form a crust.

You know I can do creme carmel and panna cotta... but get nothing but runny ick when I do creme brulee? Don''t know why... although the recipe I follow doesn''t have that many eggs in it to bind... will have to give it another try.

If you like leeks I would do a blanched leek and campari tomato salad with a light vinegrette.

I clean the leeks cut them into 4 inch by i inch strips. Get a bowl of ice water ready... plunge them into salted boiling water until they get bright green... then dunk them in the ice water to set. Slice the tomatos... and arrange with the leeks on the bottom and tomatoe slices on top.. drizzle with a garlic balsamic vinagrette. Goes really well with Lobster.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
That leek dish sounds nice and light. I have no idea why you''re having the problems you are with your creme brulee. Maybe the cream isn''t coming to a full simmer before you add the yolks? Or I suppose it could be the number of yolks in the recipe too but I''ve seen other recipes with less egg. Who knows. What about using the same custard you use for your creme caramel and brulee that?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know... it never would have occured to me (''Doh) to use the same recipe for the creme brulee as I do with Creme Carmel?

Hmm.

Honestly though, I never make CC anymore either... I''ve been on a SERIOUS panna cotta binge. Mmmm.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol, well, brulee your pannacotta
emwink.gif
Sorry, I''m a brulee freak. Sometimes I eat the sugar off the top and give the rest to my bf.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL... I''m not saying I don''t love a good brulee... but I can wait until we are out someplace that makes it well to indulge.

Of course... now you''ve got me craving it! YUM!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Oh, thank you for the recipe, Hudson! I''m going to make this for my hubby for Valentines dinner, now I just have to think of a main dish. Maybe I''ll just roast a chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results