shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacation with e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I think I already know the common answer to this, but just wanted to see if there were any alternate suggestions or comments.

FI and I are going snowboarding in Canada all next week (we live down south in the US, so Canada is traveling for us). I won''t be wearing gloves while traveling (~6-7 hours on a plane with 2 hour layover and then a 3 hour bus commute to the village). But once we get up there, we''ll be out riding all day (wearing gloves and definitely NOT wearing e-ring). At night when we go out, I''ll definitely be wearing gloves while walking in the Village and what not, but we''ll also be in restaurants, shops, etc. where I''d take them off.

I''m not really worried about taking the ring through customs and security at the airport - I''m pretty well educated on what''s required there. My main concern/question is if you guys think I should take it at all. It would sit in the room all day while we''re out riding (~7-8 hours), so I''d have to put it somewhere VERY safe and discreet (no safes in the rooms). But I could wear it at night under the gloves and still have it to wear for all the other things we do sans gloves. It''s not attachment syndrome or anything, I just love my ring and would miss wearing it, especially when I''m out with FI, and during the travel and all. I know it''s probably safer to just keep it at home. But I just wanted anyone''s advice/comments who''s willing to give it!
1.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I never wear mine when we go on vacation. I wear a little tungsten band that I couldn''t destroy if I wanted to. Do I miss my bling - sure. Do I feel better knowing it''s safe at home - yup.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I take mine on vacation (and business trips) generally, but I don''t think I would in this case - if I couldn''t wear it all day during the day, I don''t think I''d consider it "worth it" if you KWIM...

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I wear my e-ring while skiing and have not had an issue. Those gloves are quite padded.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 3:34:40 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I wear my e-ring while skiing and have not had an issue. Those gloves are quite padded.
Hahaha you must not know how I fall!
3.gif
I can be pretty clumsy, and when I do fall, it''s not pretty.
37.gif
I don''t think I could ever put it through that - I hate just when I knick it on the desk at work.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 3:33:08 PM
Author: geckodani
I never wear mine when we go on vacation. I wear a little tungsten band that I couldn''t destroy if I wanted to. Do I miss my bling - sure. Do I feel better knowing it''s safe at home - yup.
Yeah that''s pretty much how I feel. We''re not married yet so I''m not getting a band yet, but your plan is the same as mine once we do. That''ll be my gym/vacation/everything else band. It''s really not so much the bling that I''d miss (well of course I''d miss it
3.gif
) but more just the ring on the finger. Oh well, as my jeweler said, we still know we''re together.
1.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 3:42:00 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Date: 1/6/2009 3:34:40 PM

3.gif
I can be pretty clumsy, and when I do fall, it's not pretty.
37.gif
I don't think I could ever put it through that - I hate just when I knick it on the desk at work.

LOL! Yard sale, huh? I fall very rarely but when I do, I do it good - never lost a glove, though, but I have seen that done!

See if the hotel has a safe at the front desk. They usually do.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Right, LOL. I wore mine on a weekend trip when we were still engaged and worried about it the whole time.
14.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t take my ering on vacation. I wear my band all the time. It''s a little tighter than the ering. I once had a watch stolen while I was on vacation and decided it wasn''t worth the risk to take my fancies unless I was going to wear them the whole time. I take all my diamonds off when I''m active; skiing, swimming, hiking.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 3:31:51 PM
Author:luvthemstrawberries
I think I already know the common answer to this, but just wanted to see if there were any alternate suggestions or comments.

FI and I are going snowboarding in Canada all next week (we live down south in the US, so Canada is traveling for us). I won''t be wearing gloves while traveling (~6-7 hours on a plane with 2 hour layover and then a 3 hour bus commute to the village). But once we get up there, we''ll be out riding all day (wearing gloves and definitely NOT wearing e-ring). At night when we go out, I''ll definitely be wearing gloves while walking in the Village and what not, but we''ll also be in restaurants, shops, etc. where I''d take them off.

I''m not really worried about taking the ring through customs and security at the airport - I''m pretty well educated on what''s required there. My main concern/question is if you guys think I should take it at all. It would sit in the room all day while we''re out riding (~7-8 hours), so I''d have to put it somewhere VERY safe and discreet (no safes in the rooms). But I could wear it at night under the gloves and still have it to wear for all the other things we do sans gloves. It''s not attachment syndrome or anything, I just love my ring and would miss wearing it, especially when I''m out with FI, and during the travel and all. I know it''s probably safer to just keep it at home. But I just wanted anyone''s advice/comments who''s willing to give it!
1.gif
I haven''t been in this position yet, but here my input.
James Avery has some very pretty silver bands for like $45 I think. But here''s the question... are you going to miss the "ring", or are you going to miss the "symbol"? I think a band that you can wear the entire trip, would be great. You could even have it on when you stop in the lodge to warm up.
4.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 3:48:11 PM

Date: 1/6/2009 3:42:00 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

3.gif
I can be pretty clumsy, and when I do fall, it's not pretty.
37.gif
I don't think I could ever put it through that - I hate just when I knick it on the desk at work.
LOL! Yard sale, huh? I fall very rarely but when I do, I do it good - never lost a glove, though, but I have seen that done!

See if the hotel has a safe at the front desk. They usually do.
Hahahahaha I laughed so hard when I read this - I've never heard that term before, but I looked it up and the mental picture I get is just so hilarious.
5.gif
I've never yard saled, but I just fall so hard. They've been getting a lot of powder, so hopefully it won't hurt as much as what I'm used to (East coast ICE
14.gif
).

Hahaha.... I think I'd fall over laughing if I actually saw someone's ski poles and clothing articles go flying...
20.gif
But now watch me go up there and probably prove that there's a first time for everything!
37.gif

ETA: Wow I'm on a smiley kick today huh...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 3:59:37 PM
Author: meresal

I haven''t been in this position yet, but here my input.
James Avery has some very pretty silver bands for like $45 I think. But here''s the question... are you going to miss the ''ring'', or are you going to miss the ''symbol''? I think a band that you can wear the entire trip, would be great. You could even have it on when you stop in the lodge to warm up.
4.gif
I''d love exactly that - just a ring that''s a symbol and not nearly as ''precious'' (price and sentimentality) to wear for the whole trip. Just like what gecko said she has - tungsten would be awesome for that. Don''t really have time to find one now, but that may be what I go looking for in the near future. Thanks guys
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have a nice fake I wear for vacations. It's a Tiffany repro from American Set on ebay with an OEC "thing" in it. Cost about $200 all told. It makes it possible for me to leave my good stuff at home, otherwise I doubt I could! And usually since I'm in Costa Rica or El Salvador or something, it's *definitely* a good idea not bring the good stuff. (And I can't always wear the fake in certain situations there either, actually, but I like to have it along.)

Generally when we travel in the US or Canada I bring my sparkly stuff... but only if I *know* I won't be taking it off! (I'm really prone to losing stuff!) Ski vacation, I'd probably leave it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I went to Whistler, I wore my ring the entire time. If I was taking it off for hours at at time do to activities, I''d keep it at home rather than bring it. When we went to Disneyland, I took my earrings off when we went into the pool, and spent more time worrying about them being in the room, rather than having fun in the pool!

FWIW, I have a simple ArtCarved wedding band that I wear to avoid worries when traveling, gardening, etc.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I fly and travel *a lot* and I always take my ring. I also have to take it off for long periods of time while I''m working and it''s fine. I think it''s fine to bring it with you. Does the hotel have a main safe they could keep it in? Even if there isn''t a safe, I think you can find somewhere safe in your room to put it. In general hotel staff are not going to steal it because it would be obvious where it went and easy to track down.

You probably don''t want to keep it on you while skiing, but sometimes I put it in a small bag and safety pin it into my pocket while working and that keeps it safe. If you have an internal pocket or something that might be an option.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto - plain band all the way. Sometimes I'll travel with my e-ring if I'm going to be doing e-ring friendly activities during the whole stay (ie, the only time it would need to come off is while I sleep), but if there's anything where I know it will be off and sitting alone in the room OR the possibility of it getting lost in a needle-in-a-haystack situation -then e-ring stays safely at home.

ETA: I just re-read your original post and realized you said that you're engaged...I never wore a plain band until I was married, because to me the band says "married" not "engaged." This really shouldn't bother you, because it's nobody's business but your own what you're wearing on that finger! But it would have bugged me personally as the wearer. Before I got married, if I had to give up my e-ring to have it polished, prongs fixed, sized, anything - I'd wear a birthstone ring (mine is diamond, so it looked like a tiny e-ring) or a fun cz on my left ring finger. It still sent the message "engaged" and I didn't have to have a naked finger. I know it's PS and the advice of going to Target and getting a $15 silver and cz ring is probably absolutely unheard of, but that's what I'd do in your situation :)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s all about your own comfort level, obviously. It sounds like you already don''t think it''s a good idea, so follow your instincts (a good general rule).

I always wear mine wherever we go (unless it''s something short and obvious, like helping a friend move!). That''s what insurance is for. I''m glad to have a wedding band that, for a diamond eternity band, is quite durable and smooth/low profile... so that I can wear it almost no matter what I''m doing or what I''m wearing on my hands.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 4:28:09 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I have a nice fake I wear for vacations. It''s a Tiffany repro from American Set on ebay with an OEC ''thing'' in it. Cost about $200 all told. It makes it possible for me to leave my good stuff at home, otherwise I doubt I could! And usually since I''m in Costa Rica or El Salvador or something, it''s *definitely* a good idea not bring the good stuff. (And I can''t always wear the fake in certain situations there either, actually, but I like to have it along.)

Generally when we travel in the US or Canada I bring my sparkly stuff... but only if I *know* I won''t be taking it off! (I''m really prone to losing stuff!) Ski vacation, I''d probably leave it.

my mom does the same thing, has a nice fake for travel, I''m sure I''ll do the same thing when I''m engaged/married

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who had hers stolen by someone (almost certainly housekeeping) after she left it in the room. Management said something along the lines of "we''re not responsible for anything not in the hotel safe". Ever since then, I only take what I will be wearing. I won''t leave anything in the room.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and personal stories so far! I really appreciate it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. You might forget to bring it home. I travel with a plain band or a cheepy fake colored stone. You don''t want to look like a rich tourist ripe for the picking.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I are frequent traveller/skiers (off to Utah in a month actually). I wouldn''t wear a tall, bulky ring skiing, but I don''t wear one normally, my wedding ring is a 5 stone band. I wear that skiing, but not any other rings. I have a pair of white gold earrings I like to wear, but that is the only jewellery I wear on the slopes.

However, I do like to take the rest of my jewellery with me to wear afterwards, including at least one RH ring, good watch (I wear a sports watch skiing), several pairs of nice diamond earrings. I like to dress well when not skiing though, I never wear my ski jacket after hours, for example, I take a good wool/cashmere coat.

I guess it depends where you are travelling and what you do apres, if you are happy to be without your jewellery. Most of the places we visit are fairly ritzy (Aspen/Vail/Beaver Creek last year, Chamonix the year before, Park City/Deer Valley this year) my jewellery doesn''t even come close to competing, but I would feel naked without it. I don''t usually take any other jewellery with me on a casual ski weekend here at home however.

You should minimise the risk of loss/theft by making sure you are adequately covered by insurance, and keeping things as secured as possible and out of sight in your hotel room.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''d leave it at home.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t when I go out of the US. I didn''t either in Hawaii because we were in the water. The fun think about NOT wearing it; is that when you get back home it looks huge! hehe
31.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I would just wear a band and leave the e-ring in a safe deposit box. I wouldn''t risk leaving it in the room.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 9:49:37 PM
Author: steph72276
I would just wear a band and leave the e-ring in a safe deposit box. I wouldn''t risk leaving it in the room.
amen...wear cool wide sterling,yellow gold or tungsten band and bank the sparkler while on vacation.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I wear my ring wherever I go (unless it''s a third-world country), and if I''m away from home, it doesn''t come off my finger at all. I''ve worn it skiing this entire season, and I''m a pretty hardcore skier
1.gif
. My gloves are really padded (essentially oven mitts because I get so darn cold), and it doesn''t bother me otherwise. That said, if I were you and I were really thinking I wouldn''t wear it on the slopes, I''d probably leave it in a safe deposit box at home.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 8:29:56 PM
Author: Gayletmom
I have a friend who had hers stolen by someone (almost certainly housekeeping) after she left it in the room. Management said something along the lines of ''we''re not responsible for anything not in the hotel safe''. Ever since then, I only take what I will be wearing. I won''t leave anything in the room.
I''ve heard horror stories like this too. My cousin left her diamond pendant in a hotel once and I think she eventually got it back after a housekeeper finally "found" it (?) - that''s what freaks me out about leaving it in the room. Especially if people see me with it on then know where I''m staying.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 9:48:25 PM
Author: Skippy123
I don''t when I go out of the US. I didn''t either in Hawaii because we were in the water. The fun think about NOT wearing it; is that when you get back home it looks huge! hehe
31.gif
HAHA Skippy great point!!
9.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much you guys for all the responses so far!
1.gif

We''re gonna be gone for 7 nights - 6 days full riding days, and another night in Vancouver. So we''ll be active a good amount but will also be doing other things a lot of the time and at night. We''re fairly casual people though - I usually don''t wear more than my e-ring, some fun earrings, and maybe a watch. I only wear more jewelry when dressing up, and we''re definitely not dressing up much on this trip. Guess we''ll have to stay away from the $100/plate restaurants (ha which we can''t afford and would probably make fools of ourselves in anyway
3.gif
) and hunt out the more casual evening dining/entertainment. Plus with all the stupid airline restrictions and crazy charges for checking bags, we''re minimizing in every POSSIBLE way.

I think the final decision is to not take the e-ring. It is insured, but it''s still not a risk I want to take. I''ve got a silver ring at home I may wear, or maybe I''ll hit Target later today.
2.gif

I appreciate yall''s help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results