shape
carat
color
clarity

US president's tears ... sincere or staged?

Were Obama's tears sincere or staged

• Sincere

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Staged

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you feel the tears Obama shed while talking about the kids killed by gun violence were sincere, or staged?

Watch this 2 minute video of today's press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFPMrptrwE

Try to set aside your feelings about gun control and just judge the man and his tears.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the most anti-gun person here, and I believe Obama's tears were staged and not sincere.

A skilled actor, like ... oh ... Ronald Reagan, would have done a more convincing job.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't for one second believe they were real, actual, tears, and certainly not real, actual, tears brought on by any sincere feelings.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta add ... even though I judge his tears to be staged I not only totally support the action he's taking ... and wish he went much further to remove guns, all guns, from the American public.

I don't give a hoot what the Constitution says.
Let's fix it.

Time's change.
We've updated the Constitution before.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who can tell? He cries a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsnZT7Z2yQ

(Big tear wipe from President Obama. Not gonna lie, I cried too. Maybe this is a good frame of reference?)

:read: :confused:

Kenny, I don't think Reagan cried even when he got shot. :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1452049843|3971427 said:

(Big tear wipe from President Obama. Not gonna lie, I cried too. Maybe this is a good frame of reference?)

Hellooooo, I'm talking about ability to act.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

First, ARETHA gawdamighty! Watched it twice, cried twice. Second, I believe his tears are real. It takes a brave leader to stand before his nation and cry. I wish Obama would leave the US at the end of this term giving us all a 2-handed middle finger salute and never look back. I cannot believe the hatred and condemnation he has faced during his term of service. It exceeds anything I've seen since I hit voting age.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1452050285|3971434 said:

Hellooooo, I'm talking about ability to act.

I know. Did you watch the Aretha Franklin performance I posted (sorry there's some announcer commentary in the beginning)? Just saying I can't tell if his (or any politician's, for that matter) tears are sincere or not. For the record I voted "staged" in your poll. I made the Reagan comment in jest.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No comparison b/t these two Presidents. One is the best post WWII Prez and the other one is the worst... ;))

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1452051336|3971448 said:

First, ARETHA gawdamighty! Watched it twice, cried twice. Second, I believe his tears are real. It takes a brave leader to stand before his nation and cry. I wish Obama would leave the US at the end of this term giving us all a 2-handed middle finger salute and never look back. I cannot believe the hatred and condemnation he has faced during his term of service. It exceeds anything I've seen since I hit voting age.

Well said, Matata! I agree.
No matter your view on this issue, how can you NOT get emotional when discussing innocents who were gunned down???

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1452051558|3971451 said:

No comparison b/t these two Presidents. One is the best post WWII Prez and the other one is the worst... ;))

When it comes to acting ability , I agree.

Unfortunately :nono: many fell for and didn't realize he was acting.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread brings me to tears.

That we Americans are so used to senseless violence that the memory of children being viciously gunned down, along with their teacher protectors, has basically been wiped out. Instead of recalling that unspeakably horrible day and asking how we got to this point and beyond, and what we can do to be better, we are sitting here wondering whether or not a fellow human being that met with the families of the victims just days after it happened is crying real tears or not. And whether Reagan could have faked it better.

Just ****ing wow.

I know that I can't think of that event for even a moment without a lump in my throat. And I didn't meet with those families. I am not in a position of power where I assume responsibility for the safety of Americans. For chrissakes, why would he have had to STAGE tears? It would be all I could do to keep it half way together. I think the President maintained his composure admirably.

Matata wrote: I wish Obama would leave the US at the end of this term giving us all a 2-handed middle finger salute and never look back.

Yes, thank you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't agree with a lot of what Obama has done during his years and his policies have screwed me royally on a very personal level. I do believe that his intentions were good and he took some difficult steps towards changes that were hard to make but necessary for the country's long term viability. However I do agree with Matata that he has also had more haters than Nixon after watergate. So yes, the double middle finger salute would be completely understandable to me, that and a "peace out bitxhes."

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's probably a lot of people who would smile and return the gesture.

He's a politician. If I stumbled upon him sobbing in a back room w/no one around, and no one even knew he was there, ok. In front of cameras, when he's pushing something thru by executive order and it just so happens to be a media fest? Not so much.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1452054860|3971487 said:
He's a politician. If I stumbled upon him sobbing in a back room w/no one around, and no one even knew he was there, ok. In front of cameras, when he's pushing something thru by executive order and it just so happens to be a media fest? Not so much.

I don't buy one iota of this. He's the least stereotypical politician I've seen in office. He's also managed to keep his humanity and compassion where others have failed. He has nothing to be gained by crying during a media fest. He knows his tears will not sway the naysayers, conservatives, NRA, haters-of-every-single-thing he's tried to accomplish. He took this executive action knowing full well that hysteria would ensue. The move is genius. It will force a hand that couldn't be dealt in any other way.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well the tears didn't sway these middle of the roaders either, so maybe mostly lefties are buying what he's selling. And in the long run, it doesn't matter anyway, whether they be the realist of the real or the fakest of the fake, we'll all believe them to be what we believe them to be. They're..Loch Ness Monster tears.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's probably a lot of people who would smile and return the gesture.

:wink2:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I agree, and it's sickening. No matter what he does, he is crucified by those with a certain mindset. The ironic thing is that even with all of the constant digging to impugn his reputation, what has ever been legitimately found? That he smoked cigarettes??? :wall:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1452055712|3971495 said:

I don't buy one iota of this. He's the least stereotypical politician I've seen in office. He's also managed to keep his humanity and compassion where others have failed. He has nothing to be gained by crying during a media fest. He knows his tears will not sway the naysayers, conservatives, NRA, haters-of-every-single-thing he's tried to accomplish. He took this executive action knowing full well that hysteria would ensue. The move is genius. It will force a hand that couldn't be dealt in any other way.
Name one thing that he have accomplished for our country in the past 7 yrs?.. :read:

There are many young Obama voters with buyer's remorse now. Many are still living at home with parents after graduation with no jobs and owe a lot of $$$ in student loans.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1452058335|3971508 said:

I agree, and it's sickening. No matter what he does, he is crucified by those with a certain mindset. The ironic thing is that even with all of the constant digging to impugn his reputation, what has ever been legitimately found? That he smoked cigarettes??? :wall:

Every president is subject to the exact same scrutiny and is crucified in one way or another....Why should Obama be any different? And as for a "certain" mindset, it most certainly works both ways.
As for his tears, I guess we'll never know. He certainly had a lot to gain from his performance (sympathy, media coverage, support for his cause, etc.) and whether or not you buy it is up to you. I don't measure how brave a president is based on whether or not he can make his eyes water on stage - I judge it by his actions while in office and sadly, he's fallen short on many issues that I would deem to be critically important (like combatting terrorism, etc.).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1452053526|3971476 said:

That we Americans are so used to senseless violence that the memory of children being viciously gunned down, along with their teacher protectors, has basically been wiped out. Instead of recalling that unspeakably horrible day and asking how we got to this point and beyond, and what we can do to be better, we are sitting here wondering whether or not a fellow human being that met with the families of the victims just days after it happened is crying real tears or not. And whether Reagan could have faked it better.

Just ****ing wow.

I know that I can't think of that event for even a moment without a lump in my throat. And I didn't meet with those families. I am not in a position of power where I assume responsibility for the safety of Americans. For chrissakes, why would he have had to STAGE tears? It would be all I could do to keep it half way together. I think the President maintained his composure admirably.

Matata wrote: I wish Obama would leave the US at the end of this term giving us all a 2-handed middle finger salute and never look back.

Yes, thank you!

I agree with all of this! I couldn't even read much of the news when Sandy Hook happened, it was all too disturbing for me having two children in school at the same time. He is a president. He is also father of two kids. I am amazed for those who don't feel similarly.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote staged, my husband and I talked about it last night. If ever I saw a time where someone thought it would gain points for them, I would say this was it. It just didn't seem believable to me.

Guns - I believe in our constitutional rights but I also believe we need tighter controls on who is buying them and how they buy them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1452094065|3971616 said:

Just ****ing wow.

Yes, thank you!

I agree with all of this! I couldn't even read much of the news when Sandy Hook happened, it was all too disturbing for me having two children in school at the same time. He is a president. He is also father of two kids. I am amazed for those who don't feel similarly.

One can feel similarly and still feel that those tears may not have been genuine. I think that just about all of of us (and I would hope every last one of us) would agree that what happened at Sandy Hook was horribly tragic & emotional, but that doesn't mean that we might all agree that the president's tears in that moment were real.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI I didn't even vote the poll, because I honestly don't care if his tears were real or staged. I care and am glad that he is following up his beliefs with action.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="momhappy| I judge it by his actions while in office and sadly, he's fallen short on many issues that I would deem to be critically important (like combatting terrorism, etc.).[/quote]

Yup, like two months ago when he was in Paris he was too busy fighting Mother Nature (climate control) instead of coming up with plans to fight terrorism.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1452094614|3971622 said:
part gypsy|1452094065|3971616 said:

Just ****ing wow.

Yes, thank you!

One can feel similarly and still feel that those tears may not have been genuine. I think that just about all of of us (and I would hope every last one of us) would agree that what happened at Sandy Hook was horribly tragic & emotional, but that doesn't mean that we might all agree that the president's tears in that moment were real.

+1

Whether the tears of a politician standing in front of cameras are a sincere or a performance has nothing do with how anyone feels about the most extreme tragedy at Sandy Hook.

I'm mystified how anyone could think that way.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Definitely sincere. i still cry when I think about Matthew Shepard. it is not easy to turn on the waterworks on cue. those were real tears.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It may not be easy for some people to turn on the waterworks on cue, but can be for others. Actors/actresses do it all the time.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1452059372|3971513 said:
Matata|1452055712|3971495 said:

Name one thing that he have accomplished for our country in the past 7 yrs?.. :read:

There are many young Obama voters with buyer's remorse now. Many are still living at home with parents after graduation with no jobs and owe a lot of $$$ in student loans.

Say what you will Dancing Fire but things have definately changed for the better since Bush left office. I have a young family member who is a member of some young republican group. She has stated that she will vote for Hillary because there is no republican candidate she has any faith in. She is also realizing that the republicans don't do much in the way of helping women's rights

If you watched the entire speech you know that it was the father of one of the children murdered in Newtown that introduced Obama. I can't imagine seeing the parents of those children sitting there are not being emotional during the speech. I don't think it was an act.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results