shape
carat
color
clarity

US or Jewel Jet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read through many threads on cleaners. I want one that is very small, fast, not expensive (under $100), but reliable and good quality just to clean mostly my rings and earrings that I wear daily. So I only would probably clean a couple of things at a time. I do not want a multi-step process..I just want to buy one thing, and I don''''t want it to require special cleaning solutions. I want it to take up as little space as possible, and I''''d like it to be safe for most gems. Is the steam useable on gems that US is not, such as Tanzanite? Or can you use neither for those? Can sterling silver be cleaned in both?

I saw that Tool Guy recommended just the Jewel Jet on one thread for people who want one quick way to clean. Or would you prefer something like the SI ultrasonic?

Thanks for your help!

togal

Shiny_Rock
I have both and use both together-- ultra-sonic, followed by the Jewel Jet steamer......that''s the way they do it at the jeweller. However, if you were to choose only one, I would definately go with the ultra-sonic. You will be able to clean your silver, etc. I understand that US and the steamer are not recommended for soft and delicate stones, such as tanzanite, peridot, emerald, pearl, etc. I believe either are fine for all precious metals, diamonds, rubys and sapphires.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I have the SI US and can answer your questions about the US

>I want one that is very small, fast.
It''s small and fast. I drop my ring/jewelry in the US in the morning while I''m getting ready for work, or while I''m doing the dishes, etc.

>not expensive (under $100).
It was under 100...50ish, i think.

>but reliable and good quality just to clean mostly my rings and earrings that I wear daily.
I use it daily.

>So I only would probably clean a couple of things at a time.
I drop my earings and rings in there every day.

>I do not want a multi-step process.
Just drop it in and push the button.

>I just want to buy one thing, and I don''''t want it to require special cleaning solutions.
You can use amonia, but I think the solution that is made for it will last forever. I use a capful and use the same solution for a few days.

>I want it to take up as little space as possible
Small space on my kitchen counter

>I''''d like it to be safe for most gems.
It''s not recommended for soft stones

>Is the steam useable on gems that US is not, such as Tanzanite?
dunno

>Or can you use neither for those?
dunno

>Can sterling silver be cleaned in both?
Can be used on the US

I saw that Tool Guy recommended just the Jewel Jet on one thread for people who want one quick way to clean. Or would you prefer something like the SI ultrasonic?

Thanks for your help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
SI US lover here...I just cleaned my ring in the US for the first tmie in a few busy days, even though I hand cleaned those days, and it was amazing when it came out. It''s mind boggling how much gunk gets on it even with the hand-cleaning I gave it each morning. Esp on the pavilion!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker, I wanted only one quick way to clean too, so because of the same thread you were looking at, I got the Jewel Jet. That was the advice I got. I haven''t tried it out yet, but I''m going to try it this weekend and see how it goes! Unfortunately, I can''t answer your questions about sterling silver or other gems.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, thanks everybody SO much! It really helps to hear from people who have them!

Kim, I may wait and order after I hear how well you like the JJ. Can you tell me how big it is? I might just buy the one that is smaller or costs the least! I just dip my rings in cleaning solution now and use the little brush, so I really just want one of the other cleaners, the US or JJ.

I see a new JJ on ebay for $69. and I''ll have to check on the SI US. I think I missed the sale in May, unfortunately!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the SI ultrasonic. Love it. One thing to note - SI has put out a second model that also can be used for silver. The normal one will not clean silver. The second model has an extra tank and either comes with a batch of silver cleaner or they tell you which kind to use. I have the normal model w/o the silver tank and just use a mix of water/dishsoap/windex to clean my gold and platinum stuff.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker, it's 10 in. tall x 6 in. wide x 7 in. deep. I got mine on eBay for about that price. I'll let you know how I like it after I try it, but some of the other threads showed that people who have it really like it.
1.gif

ETA: On one website for it, the vendor says: "The Jewel Jet™ is primarily intended for your diamond jewelry, however rubies and sapphires can be steam cleaned safely as well. You can also steam clean any gold, platinum, or silver jewelry. There are many stones that should not be steam cleaned. These include, but are not limited to, Opals, Emeralds, Tanzanite, Kunzite, Garnets, Peridot, Pearls, Coral, Turquoise, or stones that may be glued in or porous."

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker, I used the Jewel Jet over the weekend and had terrific results. My ring was extremely sparkly afterward, much cleaner than I could ever do with a toothbrush. It takes about 3 minutes to heat up, and I took 5 minutes to clean the ring. It''s compact and fits nicely in the corner of my counter.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both the SI US and the JJ.

I find that while both get my ring super-sparkly, the US is more convenient to use and gets it just a little cleaner than if I used the JJ alone. I think the benefit of the JJ is that it adds a very subtle extra shine that may or may not be noticeable to you....but only after I''ve already used the US. When I use them together, I do the US first and JJ after. The spotlessness of my ring afterwards is pretty amazing. However, when I use the JJ alone, I''ve found that my ring is not quite as squeaky clean as when I just use the US alone. So, it''s nice to have both in order to get ultra maximum cleanness, but if I were to recommend just one of them, I''d recommend the US hands-down.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results