shape
carat
color
clarity

Urban Myth or Real - alcohol thru a straw=drunk faster ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I just recently heard this and cannot believe this could possibly hold any truth.

DH claims it has happened to him. But I say it boils down to too much alcohol
in the first place.

Opinions?
Experiences?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a valid point. If you''re drinking through a straw, you tend to take more in one drink than you would if sipping (at least I do). Also, the alcohol can bypass a lot of your taste buds this way, which can make strong drinks go down a lot faster.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
MYTH #6
DRINKING THROUGH A STRAW GETS YOU TRASHED FASTER
Only if you suck faster than you chug. It isn’t how you get the booze from glass to mouth that affects your buzz; it’s the type of glass you’re drinking from. A Cornell University study found that people—even experienced bartenders—consistently pour 20 to 30 percent more alcohol into short, stout tumblers than into tall, skinny highball glasses. “They focus on the height of what they are pouring at the expense of width,” says study author Brian Wansink, Ph.D., author of Mindless Eating.

So yeah, not really. It all depends on the AMOUNT of alcohol, not how you get it into your system.

Unless you're putting it up the other hole, in which case...um...you die.\

ETA: I found this here: Web MD, so it must be true, right?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had heard that before but wasn''t sure if it''s true. I definitely think that I drink faster when I have a straw though so that''s probably why I''d get wasted faster.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, all I know is that we were always looking for ways to achieve a quicker buzz when we were younger...this was one of the ways that was discussed. This and drinking warm beer
14.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:03:52 PM
Author: bee*
I had heard that before but wasn''t sure if it''s true. I definitely think that I drink faster when I have a straw though so that''s probably why I''d get wasted faster.

Yup, that would be my opinion about this myth as well. It''s easier to drink out of straws, so, you drink more =intoxicated more quickly.

1 oz booze = 1 oz booze, whether it be in a glass with or without a straw
2.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:04:47 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
Lol, all I know is that we were always looking for ways to achieve a quicker buzz when we were younger...this was one of the ways that was discussed. This and drinking warm beer
14.gif

Warm beer, really? ICK!
14.gif
I''ve never heard of that one!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG Ew warm beer.
40.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
yuk-I hate warm beer.
14.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the only truth in it is that the type of drinks which require a straw are often high in alcohol content...whereas a beer isn''t and you wouldn''t drink it with a straw. You may also drink faster through a straw, but I don''t see any pysiological reason why the straw itself would get you drunk faster.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would bet that it has more to do with the TYPE of alcohol that''s served with a straw, ie. hard liquor.
2.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:23:17 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I think the only truth in it is that the type of drinks which require a straw are often high in alcohol content...whereas a beer isn''t and you wouldn''t drink it with a straw. You may also drink faster through a straw, but I don''t see any pysiological reason why the straw itself would get you drunk faster.

I''ve actually seen people drink beer with straws
3.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I saw (in a movie, I think) young people ''drinking'' vodka by sloshing it on their eye under the premise that it would enter the blood more directly and cause a quicker or stronger hit.

It seemed (to me) to have a vein of truth - is that rubbish too?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:04:47 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
14.gif
Isn''t a "beer bong" suppose to get you drunk faster? I never tried one, but a lot of guys in high school use to get plastered this way!

Here is Wikipedia''s definition: (and yeah, it''s a long description)

A funnel (also known as a beer bong) is a device used to consume large quantities of liquid, usually some kind of fermented beverage, very rapidly. A piece of tubing, generally at least a meter in length, must be firmly secured to the end of a large funnel. The volume of the funnel and the tubing should be enough to accommodate the amount of liquid intended to be funnelled.

In modern times some funnelers have begun omitting the tube for ease of construction. Not having to attach a tube means a basic funnel can be used with no other attachments. This however is a different skill as the funneler must use their tongue to stop the flow of liquid during the filling process.

There are many variations of the size of the funnel and length of the tubing. Generally, a meter of tubing is acceptable for most funnels, although extremely long funnels can be used in situations where the funnel can be held much higher than the drinker''s head height, such as at the top of a staircase, balcony or an upper floor.

The most advanced funnels have a valves of some sort inline at the drinking end of the tube. This can be used to cut down on spillage. However, this is usually only needed by novices, as an experienced user can manipulate the flow of the liquid without the use of a valve.

A variation of the beer bong is used during a Divemaster Challenge. This beer bong consists of a dive mask and snorkel with a funnel attached to the top of the snorkel. This type of beer bong does not allow the drinker to breathe while chugging."

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you guys jumped on this one!
17.gif

I say the "myth" is all a bunch of garbage. I''ve had Maragaritas that I drank
with a straw and I''ve never noticed this effect. I don''t drink to get drunk
so I usually only have one, rarely 2. So it''s kinda hard for me to contribute to
any field testing!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:53:23 PM
Author: Steel
I saw (in a movie, I think) young people ''drinking'' vodka by sloshing it on their eye under the premise that it would enter the blood more directly and cause a quicker or stronger hit.

23.gif
In their eye? Ouch and oh so strange!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:08:24 PM

23.gif
Owwwww!!!

Don''t people do heroin in their eyeballs for this reason? And/or gums? Or is this just to hide the injection site?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:09:53 PM
Author: musey

23.gif

Owwwww!!!

Don''t people do heroin in their eyeballs for this reason? And/or gums? Or is this just to hide the injection site?

Yeah I thought I''d heard the heroin one before. I don''t know how anyone can do that. I had an eye infection last month and had to put drops in my eye which took forever. D had to get me in a head lock to put them in. Eyes make me
14.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

23.gif
Owwwww!!!

Don't people do heroin in their eyeballs for this reason? And/or gums? Or is this just to hide the injection site?
In their eye. Like actual eyeball? Wouldn't it pop like a water balloon? Bleh, that is so discusting.

I read that some inject under their fingernails to hide the track marks. Or between toes.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Actually...the fastest way to get drunk is by pouring alcohol into your butt. No, I am not joking.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:19:19 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Actually...the fastest way to get drunk is by pouring alcohol into your butt. No, I am not joking.

23.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:15:36 PM
Author: MC

23.gif
Owwwww!!!

In their eye. Like actual eyeball? Wouldn''t it pop like a water balloon? Bleh, that is so discusting.

I read that some inject under their fingernails to hide the track marks. Or between toes.
Yup. They held the bottle up to the open eye, tilted their head (and the bottle) back and sloshed the eyeball.

Oh and about the drugs thing. I saw another where the gentleman put some drug powder (God only know what it was - I am not very ''up'' on my drugs so I would not have a clue what it was) on the tip of his manhood - again to access blood supply.

Perhaps I should watch some different shows?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:21:10 PM
Author: EBree

23.gif
+
23.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow-you learn something new every day
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:36:33 PM

23.gif

Owwwww!!!

In their eye. Like actual eyeball? Wouldn''t it pop like a water balloon? Bleh, that is so discusting.

Yup. They held the bottle up to the open eye, tilted their head (and the bottle) back and sloshed the eyeball.

Oh and about the drugs thing. I saw another where the gentleman put some drug powder (God only know what it was - I am not very ''up'' on my drugs so I would not have a clue what it was) on the tip of his manhood - again to access blood supply.

You and me both! I remember watching a programme like that too and they were injecting the drugs into their manhoods-ewwww.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 4:53:36 PM

23.gif

Owwwww!!!

You and me both! I remember watching a programme like that too and they were injecting the drugs into their manhoods-ewwww.
It brings a whole new meaning to ''a scare a bedtime'' !!!
6.gif
!!! (Remember that show?)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 5:01:30 PM

23.gif

Owwwww!!!

6.gif

That was Podge and Rodge, wasn''t it? Love them!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Alchohol sitting at the bottom of a drink is drunk faster using a straw. Properly stirred, probably not the case.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 5:18:41 PM
Date: 4/16/2009 5:01:30 PM

23.gif

Owwwww!!!

6.gif

That was Podge and Rodge, wasn''t it? Love them!
I think it was Podge and Rodge, haven''t watched that in ages! Hilaaario.
Drinking through a straw, definitely drunk faster! Just cos you drink faster I think...more drink in one sip!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 5:25:47 PM
Author: HollyS
Alchohol sitting at the bottom of a drink is drunk faster using a straw. Properly stirred, probably not the case.
Good point.

Bee*= Yup, Podge & Rodge!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results