shape
carat
color
clarity

Upscale NYC hotel near shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby and I are thinking of spending one night in NYC in the next few weeks. I would love to go for longer but it will be the first time I have been away from the baby (16 months) and my three year old other than when I delivered the baby. I just can''t go for longer. Last time we went, we were in the Plaza which was great locationwise but I hear they converted to condos. I want to go to Bergdorf Goodman''s and of course Balenciaga (which will be a cab from wherever we stay). Other than that, maybe some time checking out jewelry stores on 5th ave. I think that Harry Winston''s is in that area, right?

We want something pretty nice. Can anyone give me a recommendation? I might have some trouble with just one night. Lots of places will only take two or more nights on weekends. I was thinking the St. Regis but I think they only take two night or more bookings.

TIA

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We love The Penninsula Hotel. It's in a great location for shopping. No sure of the exact address, but know it's right off Fifth Ave.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
My top picks:

1) In Midtown (356 West 58th Street), and particularly if you like places that are a bit boutique, less ''chain'', you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a look at The Hudson Hotel http://www.hudsonhotel.com/ ... Just wow. I mean, you will never, ever forget this place as long as you live. It is stunning. Check out the photos. Totally unique. Gorgeous. Sumptuous. And great food too!

2) I''m partial to Soho for great shopping, and when in Soho, I''m all for the Mercer Hotel. And you can be in midtown in 15 minutes for 5th Ave and Madison Ave fun. http://www.mercerhotel.com/

3) The W Hotel (but NOT the one in Midtown... on Lex I think) is fabulous. I like the one in Union Square best. www.whotel.com

Getting around NYC is so easy, so as long as you''re somewhere in central Manhattan it doesn''t quite matter where. You can get anywhere from there!

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
St. Regis at 56th & 5th ave is very nice, a smaller boutique hotel is the Elysee at 54th & Madison.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 2:56:46 PM
Author: Independent Gal
My top picks:

1) In Midtown (356 West 58th Street), and particularly if you like places that are a bit boutique, less ''chain'', you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a look at The Hudson Hotel http://www.hudsonhotel.com/ ... Just wow. I mean, you will never, ever forget this place as long as you live. It is stunning. Check out the photos. Totally unique. Gorgeous. Sumptuous. And great food too!

2) I''m partial to Soho for great shopping, and when in Soho, I''m all for the Mercer Hotel. And you can be in midtown in 15 minutes for 5th Ave and Madison Ave fun. http://www.mercerhotel.com/

3) The W Hotel (but NOT the one in Midtown... on Lex I think) is fabulous. I like the one in Union Square best. www.whotel.com

Getting around NYC is so easy, so as long as you''re somewhere in central Manhattan it doesn''t quite matter where. You can get anywhere from there!
Ok. I have to tell you this. DH was in NYC a few weeks ago on business and he got stuck in a snowstorm. He had trouble finding a hotel and a business colleague got was able to get him a room at the Hudson Hotel and he absolutely hated it. I think it is very contemporary and we just don''t like contemporary. He said the rooms were unbelievably small too.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that!
15.gif
I love love love contemporary, and the cutting-edgier the better. The lobby at the Hudson is so cool with the big tree motif. But if you don't like that kind of thing, you probably wouldn't like the other two I recommended either, so I take it back.

Well, if you like classic, then I'm going to second The Peninsula. I've stayed in a couple (one in Chicago, one in Asia), and they are definitely classic, and definitely plushy!
36.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
What about the Mandarin Oriental? It''s GORGEOUS!!! And its an awesome location (right on Columbus Circle on the Southwest edge of Central Park).

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe the Sofitel.

I thought the location was good.

lost in new york

Rough_Rock
The Four Seasons on 57th btw. Madison and Park is PURE BLISS.

In any event, enjoy your trip and the shopping!!
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Marriot on Broadway (in Times Square) is pretty convenient and has a great view if you get one of the rooms on a high floor. The hotel is very large, not sure if that is what you are looking for.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 2:39:11 PM
Author:Allisonfaye
Last time we went, we were in the Plaza which was great locationwise but I hear they converted to condos.
23.gif
I had not heard about this! Is nothing sacred?

I have stayed at the Plaza a couple of times. This makes me very sad.
39.gif

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I''d recommend the Four Seasons Hotel too, it''s on 57th just between Madison and Park. Fabulous location. I think they also have a ''house car'' that can take you within relatively short distances in the city. I am a big fan of the soaring, dramatic lobby and of their afternoon tea. The St Regis is also good (that''s on 5th and 55th or 54th or something). All within a stone''s throw of Barneys, Bergdorf''s, Saks.

Further west, I would also recommend the Parker Meridien (57th-56th Streets between 6th and 7th I believe) - the decor is more on the modern side though. The Mandarin Oriental at Columbus Circle (across the Park) is fantastic as well and fairly new. The lobby starts on the 35th floor if I remember correctly and has the most stunning views of the park. It''s not as close to those shops, though.

I hope you have a wonderful trip no matter where you stay! It sounds like you will be productive!
1.gif

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
Oh, there is also a relatively new Ritz-Carlton on Central Park South not too far from the Plaza. And the Pierre (on 5th Avenue just north of Bergdorf''s).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
the Mandarine Oriental, St. Regis, The Peninsula, The Ritz or The Four Seasons are nice. I have also heard the Lowell and The Michelangelo are nice, more boutique type hotels.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
the Mandarin Oriental, St. Regis, The Peninsula, The Ritz or The Four Seasons are nice. I have also heard the Lowell and The Michelangelo are nice, more boutique type hotels. Some of the Lowell rooms have fireplaces. Most of these hotels are near the nice shops...I used to love the Waldorf but location not as good and the Plaza was my favorite but is being converted to condos, a sacrilege to poor Eloise...have fun! oops double post!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Time was I used to be impressed by Schrager oddities, but I guess I got old :D I like it, say, in Miami, but there''s nothing like old-school hospitality in NYC.

Anyway, I''m a huge fan of the St. Regis. When we''re inclined to do a "romantic night", hubby and I hop uptown in a cab and are filled with reluctance about coming home the following morning.The Penninsula is fabulous, too, and has a lovely health club and pool, which has amazing views across the city.

I''ve also heard great things about the Mandarin Oriental. Plus, you''d be perfectly positioned to pop next door to the TW Center and eat at Masa/Per Se (should you be able to score a table, that is).

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 10:48:35 PM
Author: diamondfan
the Mandarin Oriental, St. Regis, The Peninsula, The Ritz or The Four Seasons are nice. I have also heard the Lowell and The Michelangelo are nice, more boutique type hotels. Some of the Lowell rooms have fireplaces. Most of these hotels are near the nice shops...I used to love the Waldorf but location not as good and the Plaza was my favorite but is being converted to condos, a sacrilege to poor Eloise...have fun! oops double post!
DH has stayed at the Michelangelo a bunch of times and I stayed there once too. I was hoping to find something closer to the shopping.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i was going to recommend Le Parker Meridian but then I read you don''t like contemporary so nevermind, hehe. we loved it though, and i would definitely say have breakfast at Norma''s ... it was the #1 spot for breakfast in NYC a few years ago and i was there again in Nov and it''s still as divine as ever. YUMMY out of this world, thinking outside of the box kinda stuff for breakfast.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 7:57:18 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

Last time we went, we were in the Plaza which was great locationwise but I hear they converted to condos.
23.gif

39.gif
I think there was a huge writeup in it in either NYT or WSJ at some point last year? Greg showed it to me. The condos are PRICEY too!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 11:25:24 AM
Author: Mara

Date: 2/16/2007 7:57:18 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

23.gif

39.gif
I think there was a huge writeup in it in either NYT or WSJ at some point last year? Greg showed it to me. The condos are PRICEY too!
Yeah, most real estate in Manhattan is pretty off the charts expensive. I think it was something like $3k a square foot. The only place it was more was London at almost double that. Yikes!

Thanks for the breakfast place tip. I remember last time we were there in NYC we had the hardest time finding a place to eat breakfast.

By the way, Mara, since you are from around that vicinity, have you ever been to Gilwoods in Napa Valley? That is our alltime favorite place for breakfast.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Allisonfaye

keep us posted on your trip

details!

as for shopping in NYC, where is the best? Up and down 5th, Madison, Upper East across from the Park?
or way down SOHO ? I suspect it is all good!

thinking of going when it warms up

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
no we haven''t been to Gilwoods, Napa is about a 1.5ish hour drive from us so we go up there 1-2x a year for a wedding or a weekend or something but we are totally into ''routine'' so we always stay at the same boutique hotel in DT Napa and eat around there kinda thing. But next time we go I will have to see where this place is and see if we can go there for breakkie, we love great breakkie!!!

Norma''s is in the Le Parker Meridian hotel which I think is on like 7th over near where the 5th Ave shopping is, it''s close enough to walk since that is what we did when we stayed there...and they have things on the menu like caramel toasted french toast which has rice crispies coating these huge pieces of cinammon french toast then baked and drizzled with caramel!!! my fave. honestly my biggest problem with going there is how many items there are to eat. We go to the Parker in Palm Springs once a year on an annual thing and they have the same restaurant there at their hotel (the chef from NYC came to Palm Springs to open it and I think he is still there?)...and so when we go we stay 3-4 days and one of the absolute highlights is having breakfast daily at Norma''s and trying a bunch of different things on the menu as it''s SO extensive. Their fresh nut and fruit granola is divine too. I don''t even need milk to eat it...Greg and I would each get individual breakfasts then share a granola. Obviously we would basically need to be rolled out of there every morning. Great now I am hungry!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 12:19:01 PM
Author: Mara
no we haven''t been to Gilwoods, Napa is about a 1.5ish hour drive from us so we go up there 1-2x a year for a wedding or a weekend or something but we are totally into ''routine'' so we always stay at the same boutique hotel in DT Napa and eat around there kinda thing. But next time we go I will have to see where this place is and see if we can go there for breakkie, we love great breakkie!!!

Norma''s is in the Le Parker Meridian hotel which I think is on like 7th over near where the 5th Ave shopping is, it''s close enough to walk since that is what we did when we stayed there...and they have things on the menu like caramel toasted french toast which has rice crispies coating these huge pieces of cinammon french toast then baked and drizzled with caramel!!! my fave. honestly my biggest problem with going there is how many items there are to eat. We go to the Parker in Palm Springs once a year on an annual thing and they have the same restaurant there at their hotel (the chef from NYC came to Palm Springs to open it and I think he is still there?)...and so when we go we stay 3-4 days and one of the absolute highlights is having breakfast daily at Norma''s and trying a bunch of different things on the menu as it''s SO extensive. Their fresh nut and fruit granola is divine too. I don''t even need milk to eat it...Greg and I would each get individual breakfasts then share a granola. Obviously we would basically need to be rolled out of there every morning. Great now I am hungry!
Haha.

We asked the concierge at our hotel if there was any place around to get a good breakfast and he said ''Gilwoods''. I asked if there was anyplace else (for the second day) and he replied ''Gilwoods''. Try the huevos rancheros. Mmmmm. But go early. There is usually a wait.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 12:02:21 PM
Author: Ann
Allisonfaye

details!

as for shopping in NYC, where is the best? Up and down 5th, Madison, Upper East across from the Park?

The shopping depends on what you''re looking to buy. For instance I really prefer the Prada store in Soho to the one on the Upper East side, but then I always go up there for Barneys. If you want to go to the McQueen store its somewhere else - I haven''t been yet. Soho generally has more botiques and the 5th Ave/Upper East has a mix of botiques and department stores.

Then there is the diamond district, I like going there and then hitting Cartier and Tiffany up 5th - heaven!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 2:52:27 PM
Author: winternight

Allisonfaye

details!

The shopping depends on what you''re looking to buy. For instance I really prefer the Prada store in Soho to the one on the Upper East side, but then I always go up there for Barneys. If you want to go to the McQueen store its somewhere else - I haven''t been yet. Soho generally has more botiques and the 5th Ave/Upper East has a mix of botiques and department stores.

Then there is the diamond district, I like going there and then hitting Cartier and Tiffany up 5th - heaven!
Forgive my ignorance,
but what is the McQueen store ?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby and I are thinking of spending one night in NYC in the next few weeks. I would love to go for longer but it will be the first time I have been away from the baby (16 months) and my three year old other than when I delivered the baby. I just can''t go for longer. Last time we went, we were in the Plaza which was great locationwise but I hear they converted to condos. I want to go to Bergdorf Goodman''s and of course Balenciaga (which will be a cab from wherever we stay). Other than that, maybe some time checking out jewelry stores on 5th ave. I think that Harry Winston''s is in that area, right?

We want something pretty nice. Can anyone give me a recommendation? I might have some trouble with just one night. Lots of places will only take two or more nights on weekends. I was thinking the St. Regis but I think they only take two night or more bookings.

TIA
Hi Allison - I live and work in Manhattan so, I know of some good places. I belive the following are some of the best in New York:

Hotel Gansevoort
Soho Grand
Bryant Park Hotel
The Maritime Hotel
Ritz Carlton
W Hotel at Union Square
60 Thompson
St. Regis
Four Seasons
The Sherry Netherland Hotel

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 3:03:14 PM

Date: 2/20/2007 2:52:27 PM
Author: winternight

Allisonfaye

details!

Forgive my ignorance,
but what is the McQueen store ?
The Alexander McQueen boutique, you know the designer.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What about the Pierre? Smaller, romantic and more intimate. I believe it is close to the Plaza. Regarding the Plaza, I thought they kept some of the rooms for hotel & the top floors for condos. At least that is what they *were* planning.

Shopping - Bendel''s and most anything on Madison Ave. I have a thing for fine leather goods. I have to visit Lederer. Can''t resist the fineness of the goods.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results