shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade set in new head. Too high?

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I just received pictures of my upgraded diamond. Does this look normal to have the diamond with the gap between the bottom and the prongs? Does it look like it’s set too high? Thanks. 1D35AE0B-03D7-4EDF-A59D-3202A916ECC4.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's a question of preference, i'd ask for it to be set lower personally but some people prefer the tall silhouette

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Height is a personal preference. I like higher settings but yours is a bit higher than I’d prefer. A small bit of space under the culet is nice...maybe they could lower it just a bit?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it looks a bit higher than is typical. But some people do like it that way. I am having the opposite problem. I got a new diamond and head for my existing engagement ring and it was set too low so waiting for that to be re-done.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks a tad high to me as well, but I do prefer lower settings. I also hope the head is secured onto the shank well!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Too high for my preference, and looks a tad unsafe since the point of the contact between the peg head and shank looks dainty. I prefer the prongs integrated more with the shank.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for replying.

I spoke with the team at WF and they said they will see if the diamond can be lowered. If not, I’m thinking about switching to the Legato head since it naturally sits lower. I am not too worried about where the head and the shank meet because this is how the head was prior to my upgrade and I never had an issue.

All the input is much appreciated.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it looks a bit higher than is typical. But some people do like it that way. I am having the opposite problem. I got a new diamond and head for my existing engagement ring and it was set too low so waiting for that to be re-done.

I hope it gets fixed perfectly for you!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like the curviness of the legato head. I think the diamond can sit lower in it.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
@jaysonsmom I agree. Very dainty. I think it matches the aesthetic of my band.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if I should start a new thread but I was hoping someone could speak to the Legato head.

Do the points on the swoop, curve, w etc. sit flush to the diamond? Or is there a gap between?
1D36115C-6453-41BF-A93B-090962B8717D.jpeg
I have looked at about every picture I can find and I think it does sit flush but I wanted to confirm. I love the look of the Legato but I’m not sure if it will bother me if the points don’t sit flush....

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if I should start a new thread but I was hoping someone could speak to the Legato head.

Do the points on the swoop, curve, w etc. sit flush to the diamond? Or is there a gap between?
1D36115C-6453-41BF-A93B-090962B8717D.jpeg
I have looked at about every picture I can find and I think it does sit flush but I wanted to confirm. I love the look of the Legato but I’m not sure if it will bother me if the points don’t sit flush....

You don’t want it to actually be touching the diamond because dirt will collect there. I don’t know what it actually does, but it would be really hard to clean if that metal in the gallery is actually touching the diamond.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
@distracts I didn’t even think of that but it makes sense. Thank you for your reply.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way too high for my own preference, however, I am not the one who would be wearing it.

DK :))

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Way too high for my own preference, however, I am not the one who would be wearing it.

DK :))

I agree! I switched to the Legato head which I think is very pretty. I’m now just doubting if it’s too fancy for me? I’m very simple in my jewelry.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I agree! I switched to the Legato head which I think is very pretty. I’m now just doubting if it’s too fancy for me? I’m very simple in my jewelry.

I don’t think it’s too fancy at all...it just has a bit more detail than a plain head. I love it.

Is the picture of the Legato that you posted your ring or one you found online? I think it looks great!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

Hi @WDWDiamond - I have the legato setting. I switched to a six prong setting when I upgraded again. It’s just sitting in my jewelry box empty. The legato is simple and beautiful. It’s not “too fancy”. I honestly can’t remember though if the curved part was flushed against the Diamond but I remember no issues with keeping the diamond clean. Hope this helps. Congrats, btw.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
@Patty the picture I posted of the Legato is just the stock rendering on WF website. This is my ring prior to my diamond upgrade. C2830B1D-089C-4A75-A32A-66457CF0A11B.jpeg

Attachments

• E2C36E88-B93B-4D28-AD3A-C7D4CFCF3663.jpeg
    E2C36E88-B93B-4D28-AD3A-C7D4CFCF3663.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Hi @WDWDiamond - I have the legato setting. I switched to a six prong setting when I upgraded again. It’s just sitting in my jewelry box empty. The legato is simple and beautiful. It’s not “too fancy”. I honestly can’t remember though if the curved part was flushed against the Diamond but I remember no issues with keeping the diamond clean. Hope this helps. Congrats, btw.

I’m so glad you responded! I looked at the pictures you posted of your beautiful rings (both the Legato and six prong). That makes me feel much better to know what it looks like in person. It’s so hard to make these kind of decisions from just looking at pictures. =)2

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of this will depend on the actual pavilion angle of the stone in comparison to the angle which the head slopes down to meet the shank.

Below is a (very bad) sketch to help represent what I am talking about. In the far right is an extreme example where the head would sit at 90 degrees. Notice how the gap increases as you go further down the pavilion?

On the left is a purple example showing the promg/head following the exact contour of the stone. Yes I know it’s not accurate. But it shows the point that unless that is at the same angle then it won’t touch.

In reality, the actual head will likely fall between these two extremes.

Hope this chicken scratch helps.

D3CDFB7B-02E0-457F-8D3B-48275D9E6667.jpeg

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
@sledge yes, this does make a lot of sense. Thank you for sketching that up. I’m guessing that there will probably be a small gap but it sounds like that is actually beneficial.

Caglapek

Rough_Rock
@sledge yes, this does make a lot of sense. Thank you for sketching that up. I’m guessing that there will probably be a small gap but it sounds like that is actually beneficial.

Hi i’m in the process of changing my setting from Wf as well. Dis you just ask the head to be legato and they are building it custom for
you?

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
@Caglapek yes, I just asked if they could swap out the standard four prong to the Legato. It was a different price and added 6-7 business days to the turnaround time. I don’t think they have to do anything custom because the Legato is a head that they make in house.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
It’s me again! :wavey:

WF asked if we would like the diamond set in the Legato head as low as possible leaving little to no space between the diamond and the head. Is this what y’all would recommend? I literally have no idea.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s me again! :wavey:

WF asked if we would like the diamond set in the Legato head as low as possible leaving little to no space between the diamond and the head. Is this what y’all would recommend? I literally have no idea.

i'd think you'd want a touch of room for cleaning ...hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be around soon to advise. =)

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I think the picture of the Legato head you included in post #13 of this thread shows the diamond being set at an aesthetically pleasing as well as practical height. I would stick with that.

There is such a thing as a diamond being set too low in my opinion. I am waiting for my e-ring reset to be redone because the diamond was set too low. I wanted the culet of the diamond to only be a teeny bit below the top of the shank shoulders so that the diamond doesn't look "shoved" into the shank of the ring itself. Your diamond couldn't be set this low because your shank doesn't have the "thickened" shoulders.

DKPV2021___05__21____67249____MDR copy.jpg

Attachments

• DKPV2021___05__21____67249____MDR copy.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 9

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I think the picture of the Legato head you included in post #13 of this thread shows the diamond being set at an aesthetically pleasing as well as practical height. I would stick with that.

There is such a thing as a diamond being set too low in my opinion. I am waiting for my e-ring reset to be redone because the diamond was set too low. I wanted the culet of the diamond to only be a teeny bit below the top of the shank shoulders so that the diamond doesn't look "shoved" into the shank of the ring itself. Your diamond couldn't be set this low because your shank doesn't have the "thickened" shoulders.

Are these pictures your reset you are waiting on them to fix?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Are these pictures your reset you are waiting on them to fix?

Yes this is what they did initially which I didn't like so I am waiting for them to fix.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results