shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade price difference

Clugc

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I’m thinking of trading my Tiffany setting 1.39 e Vs2 diamond solitaire into a jewellers for a generic 2 carat e vs2 solitaire. What would you all expect the difference to be and be considered a fair trade? The stone I’m considering is retailing for 19k gbp... I know there is approximately 1/2 carat of difference versus the Tiffany brand.. how much would be a fair difference in price between them both. The 2 carat has also a gia certificate dated 1996 so the stone is vintage 30 yrs old. Was GIA as strict back then as they are now?I’ve attached a copy of both certs for comparison...

Attachments

• 6AD9100B-F51A-4634-8086-8A43FD990FC8.jpeg
    6AD9100B-F51A-4634-8086-8A43FD990FC8.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2B9F4279-15A1-42A4-8F16-FDB62A045526.jpeg
    2B9F4279-15A1-42A4-8F16-FDB62A045526.jpeg
    725.9 KB · Views: 33

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn’t buy that stone unless you get a fresh certificate to confirm its current grading. It’s ancient so could be graded differently + damage can happen to diamonds too. Have you seen it in person? Are you happy with it?

In terms of moving on your Tiffany ring, have you looked at or considered Christie’s or Bonhams? Branded jewellery does very well in their auctions and buyers will feel confident buying through them. Even if you’d rather not sell through them, browsing past auction can give you a good idea of prices achieved (bear in mind they include buyer’s premium so you’d get a bit less).

Another alternative would be to consider online retailers like Blue Nile, which is very straightforward to buy from in the UK. They also offer 30- day returns so you can check the diamond out in different lighting. There‘s also an upgrade programme if case you want to go up in size again (they’ll buy it back at what you paid less the VAT).

Clugc

Rough_Rock
Hi there Thankyou for the information no I have no idea how Christie’s or Bonhams work. I know i would rather a bigger stone than keep the branded piece but I’m afraid of selling it on places like eBay where there are lots of scammers. I will have a look into where you say and yes perhaps blue Nile or another vendor is the way to go! Like the sound of the upgrade programme too!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think you might upgrade in the future then I would look at whiteflash and HP diamonds. They have the best upgradd policies of any vendor (you only need to spend $1 more than your original stone to upgrade), whereas many vendors stipulate that an upgrade has to be at least 2x the cost of the original, etc.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
If you think you might upgrade in the future then I would look at whiteflash and HP diamonds. They have the best upgradd policies of any vendor (you only need to spend $1 more than your original stone to upgrade), whereas many vendors stipulate that an upgrade has to be at least 2x the cost of the original, etc.

Hi I’m in U.K. so I would have to pay vat and customs on top of this

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on this
I wouldn’t buy that stone unless you get a fresh certificate to confirm its current grading

there may be minute scratches or chips since 96 that aren't visible to the naked eye or even with a loupe. they should have it re -certified before you decide.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
If I did get it recertified and it indeed was what it says on the certificate.. would you guys be happy about trading in a Tiffany stone for this?

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
If I did get it recertified and it indeed was what it says on the certificate.. would you guys be happy about trading in a Tiffany stone for this?

It’s really down to how you feel about. I’ve got some high end branded jewellery and watches and will get more in the future. However, there’s a massive massive premium on larger diamonds from the brands so my personal preference is to get nice GIA diamonds online for plain things like a solitaire ring or diamond stud earrings. I’m just upgrading my e-ring and tried on a bunch of them. The prices seemed to be 2-3x higher at high end jewellers than equivalent diamonds online...

I also had a look on the Tiffany’s website and would guesstimate that your ring would retail for about 25k these days. The jeweller should be able to sell it for half that price or slightly over so they offer you maybe 8k ish to trade it in? I’m actually quite curious :D

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and if you’re sentimental about this ring, you could always get a different one. For example, a pear or an oval (they look huge for the carat weight) + a halo to make it very big and blingy.

Last edited:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Clugc the old GIA certificate does not include the pavilion or crown angles. It is impossible to tell the cut or value without recerting the stone.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
It’s really down to how you feel about. I’ve got some high end branded jewellery and watches and will get more in the future. However, there’s a massive massive premium on larger diamonds from the brands so my personal preference is to get nice GIA diamonds online for plain things like a solitaire ring or diamond stud earrings. I’m just upgrading my e-ring and tried on a bunch of them. The prices seemed to be 2-3x higher at high end jewellers than equivalent diamonds online...

I also had a look on the Tiffany’s website and would guesstimate that your ring would retail for about 25k these days. The jeweller should be able to sell it for half that price or slightly over so they offer you maybe 8k ish to trade it in? I’m actually quite curious :D

Yeah I wouldn’t be trading it in for 8k if I was selling to them maybe but def not trading it in. I would expect a much better deal or it would not be feesible.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Based on the table, depth, & mm... as well as the fact that the stone does not have excellent for polish nor symmetry I would not buy that stone. I don’t think it is cut well.
I would keep your Tiffany diamond which is much finer and there is an added value in that it is Tiffany. I fear you will greatly regret it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results