shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade policy???

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all know some vendors have better upgrade policies than others.... What were your reasons foe buying from a vendor that doesn't have a great upgrade policy????

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1308233841|2947440 said:
We all know some vendors have better upgrade policies than others.... What were your reasons foe buying from a vendor that doesn't have a great upgrade policy????

it doesn't matter to me ugrade policy or not b/c my diamonds haven't increased in value since purchase... ;(

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thoughts were this, if you are not upgrading or only to upgrade a small amount then what is the difference. I brought up this topic since there is a bit of price difference between the vendors with the lesser upgrade policies and those with great upgrade policies.

For example, if you are only buying a $1,000 stone then having to upgrade by spending double that isn't too bad. If you bought a $9,000 stone then having to double that to upgrade is a bit :errrr: . I am thinking that a one time upgrade with a vendor that makes you spend double is doable is your initial cost isn't high and you don't plan to upgrade any more.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm older and I take chances? :bigsmile: It wasn't an issue for me because I found 2 uncerted stones that were estate sales with no upgrade policies. I had them independently appraised and was comfortable that I was buying what was represented and that I could either keep the stone(s) or return them, and/or have them certed myself. If I were buying new, I suppose an upgrade policy would be great to have, but I wouldn't be likely to have used it given my age and circumstances. I was upgrading, not starting out.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1308233841|2947440 said:

Freedom from being stuck with one vendor in the future who may only have colorless diamonds when you are now into FCDs.
Not thinking you are getting a favor by giving back a stone you paid $26K for, and getting only $26K credit when they intend to re-list it for $45K.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought my e-ring from a vendor with no upgrade policy whatsoever, because his prices were better than those of the dealers who offer upgrades, and I couldn't imagine ever trading in my e-ring (still can't).

The stones I've bought since have the option ... but, frankly, it's probably my last priority, because I tend to do fancy custom pieces for the loose stones I buy. I'd have to find one heck of a deal that I couldn't swing otherwise to want to trade my stones in. The one exception is my studs, which I bought with the possible intention of upgrading, and proceeded to fall completely in love with. So ... yeah. At the end of the day, I'm a hoarder, not a swapper!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1308267601|2947832 said:
I bought my e-ring from a vendor with no upgrade policy whatsoever, because his prices were better than those of the dealers who offer upgrades, and I couldn't imagine ever trading in my e-ring (still can't).

The stones I've bought since have the option ... but, frankly, it's probably my last priority, because I tend to do fancy custom pieces for the loose stones I buy. I'd have to find one heck of a deal that I couldn't swing otherwise to want to trade my stones in. The one exception is my studs, which I bought with the possible intention of upgrading, and proceeded to fall completely in love with. So ... yeah. At the end of the day, I'm a hoarder, not a swapper!

I think I am also more of a hoarder myself- as I get attached to things and can always use more!

Kenny- also agree with your thoughts about not being stuck with one vendor.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly, when I first came to PS, I was obsessed with the trade in policy and only would wanted the work with vendors with trade in/up policy. Now not so much, actually I don't really care anymore because there is always a way to trade in/ sell to another vendor or privately to very close to your cost or more possibly. With WF they have this trade in policy on Premium selection that you only get 70% back on your diamond, heck you can possilby get more by selling it yourself /consigning especially with all the tools/images and certs you have. :wacko:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I just buy from Costco. If I want to return it, ever, I can. Get my money back, and buy something else.

I did that with an aquamarine ring from them; bought one, liked it, but a few months later they had a better one on their website, so I returned the first one to the store, and bought the second one with the return money and some extra cash.

Instant upgrade. :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1308271925|2947915 said:
I just buy from Costco. If I want to return it, ever, I can. Get my money back, and buy something else.

I did that with an aquamarine ring from them; bought one, liked it, but a few months later they had a better one on their website, so I returned the first one to the store, and bought the second one with the return money and some extra cash.

interesting

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

buy a 5ct from Costco then after the wedding return it for a refund .. :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1308275015|2947961 said:

buy a 5ct from Costco then after the wedding return it for a refund .. :naughty:

hahah! wait, I can buy it on my CC then return it! so money out of pocket!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
We purchased a diamond from JbEG knowing we can't upgrade because it was a consignment. DH-to-be told me no upgrades so pick something I'll love now and forever (RHRs are another subject altogether!) so I had no issue with not being able to upgrade my engagement ring diamond.
Now, I do want a AVC from GOG for a RHR and I want to start around the 1ct mark and upgrade as funds allow, so I'm relying on their upgrade policy to allow me this little venture.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not bought such a stone to date because I like to have the option upgrade my diamonds. I don't collect diamonds and would rather get credit for what I paid then keep the stone and shell out for a new one. I guess if prices got so mental I could make more on the secondary market I would go that route, but the hassel involved in that is off putting to me.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I would rather buy a stone on the secondary market close to the price that I think I could sell it for than seek out any sort of policy. I have more faith in the market being around in a few years than any one broker. Also, I don't find myself letting go of things often.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so interesting to see everyone's views especially since the advice typically given on RT is to go with a vendor with a good upgrade policy.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've only worked with one vendor and that was for my engagement ring and wedding band. I loved learning about various vendors' upgrade policies back then. I thought at the time (and still do) that they're helpful if someone wants to turn in her stone and trade it for something else. Then, when I asked my husband how he'd feel about upgrading the stones on my ring, he said "you can't upgrade the perfect ring. Why would you want to do that?" So clearly, he's not a fan, and he's much more sentimental than I am.

I'm now considering buying bezeled studs. It might not happen soon, but I'd like to decide which ones to get when the time is right. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards buying preset studs because they're less expensive than putting together loose stones and the setting. I wouldn't be able to upgrade them but I think I'd be okay with that. If I can get what I want from a great vendor and save some money, I'm fine not being to upgrade in the future if I go this route.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results