shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade Old Euro for new diamond or new setting?

Cma04

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about asking my husband for an upgrade, but before doing so I want to have an idea of what I want. My diamond is an Old Euro, .75 carat, color J, SI2. It is a really pretty diamond, but I have giant hands (I wear an 11 shoe) and for 10 years now, I have wanted more finger coverage. We are also in a very different place financially than we were when we got engaged, so I don’t think he will be opposed. I just need to figure out what it is I want. A new setting that will make the diamond look bigger, or a new diamond altogether? And then what to do with the old diamond? Any and all ideas are welcome. A9C47CBE-C28D-4E1A-AB60-B937807139FE.jpeg D91630AC-F299-45DE-9E98-208168ADA63F.jpeg 91499208-E23C-454B-B89C-AE7DB8C204E6.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like your set! Suggest you go to a jewelry store to try on some halo, cluster, etc to see if changing the setting will satisfy your need for more finger coverage cause that is likely the most cost effective way to go. If you decide to get a new diamond your current one is a great size for a pendant if you decide to keep it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you are not happy with the size, a new setting rarely fixes that in my view, unless you were to do a halo or three stone.

You could use your current stone as a side stone and get a new center and a matching side. Or, a halo can give more coverage but it's still the same size stone.

However, it sounds like you want appreciably larger coverage. A halo probably won't do that. A three stone night.

I would go try on various sizes and styles to see what you would like.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider a three stone with your beautiful stone as part of it.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Agree with all of the above posters regarding trying on a three-stone! A three-stone could be nice for increasing finger coverage without greatly increasing the height profile of the ring. That may or may not matter for your preferences/lifestyle, but larger carat stones would also be taller stones and thus sit higher off the finger. One thing to keep in mind: a potential challenge for creating a three-stone might be finding a good match for your current Old Euro if you intend to use it as a side stone rather than a center stone.

in any case, your hands look beautifully proportioned and elegant to me!

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful and looks so nice on your slender finger!

Is it an option to keep this ring as is and get a new ring? I’m all for incorporating your current diamond into something new if that’s your preference and there are so many examples on PS of that done beautifully! I also feel like this ring has a character all it’s own. If it were me, and it were doable financially, I’d keep this as is and get a new ring as the upgrade.

Happy bling planning!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BespokeMinestones - please read the PS forum policy page; you'll see that Trade members should not be promoting their business via forum posts:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i love the stack that you have.
I am thinking:

1) My preferred option would be a bigger solitaire diamond: 1.5ct (about 7.3mm) to about 2ct (8mm). Try a few sizes in a store, or cut out a round circle with those measurements. you have to get creative to get a visual :) ...if the bigger diamond is the one you go with, so what to do with the original ring - i would convert to
a) by pass ring/ moi et toi ring
b) 3 stone for a right hand ring
c) pendant, or
d) match it as close as you can, i am unsure that you will get a perfect match to make a set of earrings.

2) a bypass ring/ moi et toi ring. the second stone can be whatever you choose: another diamond, another diamond shape, another gemstone but not sure if it could be a bigger dimension wise to fit it all in the stack. I think it would compliment the stack, as that cross over band works well with the bypass design.

3) if you are going to convert to 3 stone ring to wear in your current stack, I think that the balance would be thrown out. The stack that you have shown in the picutres, i believe are worn in a way that it accentuates the the solitaire. I would try a few 3 stone rings to see how it all sits with your stack. if the 3 stone ring works for your eye, it may or may not mean that you crossover ring may not be part of the stack.

When you are at the jewelers, take a lot of pictures. take your time to decide, cos once it is made, it will cost more to change the setting. PS can help with your design and look that you are after, but you have to with what you are feeling with each design. yes, being honest mean - listening to your gut.. your instincts are never wrong. Advice is advice, take it all onboard, or not.

For me when i try certain things, i know it is right straigth away, and that is what i go with.

Hope that helps.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I upgraded my OEC .66 to a bigger one. I was able to find a match for my original diamond, and made studs with my ering and new stone my jeweler sourced. I love having OECs for studs—much livelier than modern brilliants to my eye.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It depends on how many projects you want to take on? If you like your stack, then I recommend finding a new omc solitaire and putting that one on a vintage chain. Or you could do earrings, or turn it into a pendant. Or just keep it in tact to pass down. Beautiful stone. Can’t wait to see what you do

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results