shape
carat
color
clarity

Update

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Many of you know that this spring I purchased a FABULOUS 4.3 ctw RB stone. :appl: I :love: :love: :love: the stone. Many thanks to those of you who encouraged me to buy it. :wavey: :wavey:

But sadly ;( ;( , I have not been able to commit to a specific setting so that I can wear it. I am AFRAID :-o of making a big mistake in my choice. I just don't know what I want, probably because I want to preserve all of my options for wearing it with my band collection. You all helped me in my decision to buy it; perhaps you can help me decide what to do with it? I am paralyzed by my indecisiveness!

(As an aside, one big positive resulting from my hesitance is that the cost of platinum is down substantially since I purchased the stone. :bigsmile:)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what type of bands do you have?

a solitaire would look great with a lot of different bands, and your stone is large...so that gets my vote :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would put it into a Solitaire-- something really gorgeous that allows for a flush fit setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I was honestly wondering what had happened with you and your beautiful stone! I was hoping we would get to see the setting!

Truly, with 4 cts., I think an elegant solitaire is always an excellent choice. Then wear it with your plain band and a diamond band.

This one is similar to the Cartier: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-trueste-solitaire.html

The Sophie from Jewels by Erica Grace is gorgeous for a large stone:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Sophie-Solitaire/12794511_dg9wL#801842638_PKNBi

I think I may recall you were considering side baguettes, also? I like this simple antique version a lot:

decoring.jpg

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
That antique deco setting is gorgeous! I love it! :appl:

Part of the problem is that I just don't know how I want to wear it. I have a reasonable collection of wedding bands that I wear regularly including a 2mm band (my original wedding ring!), one bar set half eternity and a 6mm plain band, all in yellow gold. I also wear the following all in platinum (and not all at the same time, though I do stack some of them!): :love:

an art noveau/deco engraved 2mm band,
a three stone ring
one shared prong eternity band (16 .20 pointers),
three channel set eternity bands--one with milgrain and engraved sides--,
a diamond sapphire half eternity band,
one antique round and baguette half eternity
and one more modern round and baguette half eternity.

I also have a wide art deco pierced diamond eternity band.

I would like to be able to "mix and match" so that I can have different looks, and am thinking that I can't go wrong with a simple solitaire setting, but I am afraid that the stone will look very stark on a simple 2mm platinum band with six prongs. It is just too "bouldery" if you know what I mean. I would like it to look elegant and tasteful, and I don't like "chunky" settings. I have a size six finger.

I initially was thinking of going to a simple Leon Mege solitaire setting (either single or double prong), perhaps even the one with tapered baguettes, but even though I think this is a timeless, elegant look, someone suggested to me that these are "dated" looking settings, so now I am not sure. I know that Leon wants his clients to know pretty much what they want when they go to him for consultation, but I am really having a difficult time with this decision, so I have just waited to try to figure out what I want, and consequently, have not made any appointments with designers to move forward. Meanwhile my lovely diamond is sitting in its box wondering when I am going to take it out and wear it. :rolleyes:

I just don't know how to proceed, especially since there is no way to "try on" different settings with my stone to see how I like it. So should I just take "the collection" with me to a couple of designers for consultations, and explain that I am trying to figure out what I want with the intention of moving forward quickly once I find a design I love? I don't want to waste the money on a temporary setting because with the size of the stone, it has to be semi-custom anyway which prevents me from getting a relatively inexpensive solitaire setting to wear in the interim...and hubby is getting anxious to see it on my hand! :D

HELP! All suggestions (including specific settings and ways to proceed) are welcome! (And I do recognize that in this economy, in this world as it is today, this is a very insignificant problem to be having. :oops: )

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DATED?

Are you kidding me? That's crap. TIMELESS is what a three stone with tapered baguettes is. I like straight baguettes too.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, that was my thought too. I think the tapered baguettes are elegant and soften the transition between the setting and the shank. But the feedback I got from a local vendor was that it is "dated." He probably wanted to sell me a halo setting! :lol:

Do you think it would look okay with my full eternity band?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Owies Nana|1319412584|3046152 said:
Gypsy, that was my thought too. I think the tapered baguettes are elegant and soften the transition between the setting and the shank. But the feedback I got from a local vendor was that it is "dated." He probably wanted to sell me a halo setting! :lol:

Do you think it would look okay with my full eternity band?

If it's made right, yeah. I would send your eternity band in with the stone and ask for them to be made compatible. Leon might give you grief for that (he thinks all rings should be stand alone), but another vendor like Steven (who worked with Leon before starting his own shop) or Victor won't.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I vote for plain solitaire too.... Miam.... would be gorgeous! :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You really have two lovely choices. I PERSONALLY prefer the Alessandra solitaire by Dimend Scassi for the simple solitaire option but don't know if you can have it for your stone size-- they will only set stones bought elsewhere for PSers so if you want a quote mention you are a PSer. And really... I think it would kick serious butt in a Sholdt Fremont or semi bezel.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that side baguettes are totally classic, never dated. But because you have an excellent collection of bands, I really think a plain, platinum classic solitaire with a basket and beautiful prongs is the way to go and can be worn with any combination of your bands. My only concern with Leon's solitaire is that a member here had a 3 ct. stone in one of his and it was just too delicate and the stone came loose in the setting. Actually I think the whole basket came loose. So I'd probably lean toward Victor Canera unless you want to go with the JBEG fleur-de-lis solitaire.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy,

Thanks for the suggestions. The Alessandra is interesting, and would probably be beautiful with a large stone. :)

But DH prefers either of the Leon choices; he does not like the Sophie by JBEG at all. :nono:

He also loves the classic Tiffany six prong setting, and I know that it would work well with my other bands because I tried on a two carat solitaire with my other bands at Tiffany's for kicks and giggles one evening when we were out for dinner. :lol: I loved the look of it too. :love: But I didn't love the knife edge shank against the eternity band, and since Tiffany doesn't sell settings, it doesn't matter that we liked it anyway.

The semi-bezel is too modern for my taste. I do prefer a classic look.

So I am wondering whether a large round set with tapered baguettes will look good with a rb eternity ring. I do have that art deco baguette and round ring I could wear it with which incorporates round stones set in prongs inset within a square box, so perhaps Leon could incorporate elements from that design into my setting so that it looks more unified, like my current favorite combination, in which I wear the art deco round/baguette band closest to my hand, with the three stone ring in the middle, and the eternity band closest to the end of my finger. I really like the combination of rounds and baguettes, but have not seen a large stone set that way in person to try on with it to be sure I like it.

And I guess I could get a thin plain platinum band to add to my collection that would match the shank of whichever solitaire
I chose so that I have a matching wedding band to wear with the new solitaire if I don't like the look of it with the eternity or the art deco band.

I just wish I could know for sure before I spend the time and money to take a shopping trip to NYC for a custom setting.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Slg (which happen also to be my initials!),

I just checked out your link to the Victor Canera. DH said, and I quote, "It is not as graceful as the Leons you showed me."

Diamondseeker, does anyone else do prongs as well as Leon? I believe that the three stone with tapered baguettes is more substantial than the solitaire I chose.

And how on earth did the whole basket come loose? Was it set on a 1mm band?

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
The picture of the solitaire on the SK website is not a great photo. Hopefully, he would have some more pictures for me to look at if I decided to go with him.

The BG solitaire is pretty. The prongs look standard, and not as attractive as LM or SK. The LM Tulip is more graceful, I think.

But I do want someone who is easy to work with.

And based on other PSers experiences, I know that working with LM can be a challenge (but isn't always), and I do have a mother who is an artist, so I understand the personality type.

I guess I just need to schedule the appointments, and make the trip to NYC to decide which vendor I am most comfortable with. The sooner I do it, the sooner I can start wearing my stone. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon probably wouldn't be a challenge to work with at all, especially for his classic solitaire. In fact, most of us did not go to any of these designers in person. We just talked to them on the phone and sent our stones. But I predict he will be very nice to someone with a 4 ct. stone to set, regardless. :)) I did meet him on a trip to NY after I had my ring for a couple of years, and he was very nice to me.

As to his prongs, you cannot expect a delicate little setting for a 4 ct. stone or it may not hold up. That was the problem with the one that had problems. Mine is substantial enough for my much smaller stone (1.63), but I would feel it would need to have bigger prongs (or double prongs) for a 4 ct. stone. I think Steven K did a great job on Gypsy's pave halo, but I just haven't seen his solitaire work. These men all just have workshops and not a showroom, so you may not even get to see examples of their solitaires if you go there. But I can understand why you might want to deliver your stone in person.

I see one 5 ct. plain solitaire on his site and he used double prongs which is probably a good idea for larger stones. You can't see the sides unfortunately. But if you do work with him, do emphasize that you don't want a ring that is too delicate. It needs to be substantial enough to be able to take the occasional bumps any ring will get.

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1195&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I really do think you'll have much more versatility in wearing bands if you go with a plain solitaire.

Newjewels

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't worry about Leon making a chunky solitaire. I just got one from him...my stone is not even 2 carats, and I think the setting is way too delicate even for it. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't see the additional image of the side view, but his rings are never heavy or clunky. The problem is that they can be too delicate. These magnified images are deceiving. My prongs are almost invisible with the naked eye because they are so tiny. You can't go with a super thin setting with a 4 ct.

I'll go look and see if I can find the thread about the one with problems. It is 3.6 cts.

Okay, here is a page with some pertinent posts. Read only the posts that have the pictures and posts by Michael E (current avatar picture is a gorgeous medium blue sapphire in pave setting). Michael E is a jeweler who critiques the weakness in this particular ring.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/head-s-up-on-mege-s-solitaires-t155744-30.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/head-s-up-on-mege-s-solitaires-t155744-30.html[/URL]

You'll be okay if you ask him to go with maybe a 2mm shank and a durable basket and prongs meant for a ring that will have daily wear.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, Diamondseeker.

I am petite and thin, but I am not a delicate type, so a delicate ring is definitely not suitable for me. :cheeky:

I just wish I could see exactly what I am getting in the setting because I don't really want any hassles associated with this ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, another option is to go with a designer like Vatche that sells rings through many jewelers. That way you might be able to try some on. They have some very nice solitaire settings. My daughter has the Vatche Caroline and it is beautiful and well made.

#U113 is a Tiffany reproduction with a rounded shank rather than knife edge

#187 is the Caroline with basket setting with tiny diamonds on the basket

There are other nice solitaires as well. If you click on the picture of a ring, a page with more views of the ring will pop up.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/SettingSearch/vatche_rings/

(The diamond is sent to Vatche to set by the jeweler selling the setting.)

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
The NY vendor who sold me the diamond recommended a d'Vatche setting. I should see which vendors in my area carry that brand of settings and check them out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results