shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on my dog with cancer...

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I posted a week and a half ago asking for advice for my 13 year old lab with a cancerous tumor growing in her foot. While we were trying to make a decision as to what to do, a horrible infection rapidly set into her foot and we were forced to make a decision last Tuesday. We decided to go ahead and have part of her foot amputated, and she has done pretty well. The operation was on Friday, and to be honest, Friday night DH and I were up ALL night with her vomiting, whimpering, crying...we really thought we had made the wrong choice. However, she has improved dramatically and is getting back to her old self. She is still on pain medication and antibiotics. Of the 3 types of cancer that normally grow there, 2 are completely cured with amputation and the 3rd has a chance of recurrance usually in another toe.

We made the decision as a family with my kids involved. I would have rather DH and I could have made the decision alone, but after the first vet announced that the dog had cancer in front of my kids, we decided to involve them in the process. They were wise beyond their years in their opinions. We all decided together that we would only do this surgery, no chemo, no additional treatment, etc. If the cancer returns in another toe, if she doesn't recover to a "happy quality of life" after the surgery, we would have her put to sleep. We stressed with the kids that this is not going to buy us years of time with her, that she probably has at most another year left with us.

We are at peace with our decision and we are busy spoiling her and nursing her back to health.

Thanks for all of your support and personal stories.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am so glad that things are going well!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking about you, Girlrocks, I'm so glad you came back with an update. I'm also very glad that things are going well so far and that your girl is starting to feel better! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cancer does not return!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy she's feeling better.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I'm happy she's doing better after her surgery. I had to get one of my dog's toes amputated, they recover quickly with lots of rest.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that is the end of the cancer! I have seen several happy 3-legged dogs and cats. Hope she continues to improve.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how you and your dog have been doing. Glad to hear she is doing better. :appl: :appl: :appl:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Girlrocks - Thank you for the update! I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy that you gave us an update, and I'm glad that she's doing better. I hope she continues to improve!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I glad to hear she is doing well :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think you made the best decision you could given the circumstances. Fingers crossed for a good recovery and no recurrence!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear she's doing better - thanks for the update!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results