shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on Cousin''''s Jewels for my Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
So, I posted a while back about the possibility of asking my grammy''''s cous (who''''s 87, same as grammy) if she might loan me a sparkly ''''something borrowed'''' for my wedding, since she''''s my only relative that''''s REALLY into jewelry like I am (the one that corrupted me by taking me to Graff). I mentioned how she''''s pretty much alone in the world, and we''''re each others'''' only blood relatives in this city. We share a lot of interests and have grown to really love each other since I moved here. She''''s not at ALL sentimental, or prone to talking about feelings, but while I was at my father''''s abroad, she actually called and said ''''I miss you. When will you be home?'''' I was so touched.

Anyway. You all advised being VERY careful lest she get the wrong idea about why I was asking or feel uncomfortable about me taking the jewelry out of the country. So I decided not to ask, because this relationship is too precious to take any kind of risk, particularly because she really doesn''''t have anyone else. So it would be tragic if she mis-read my motives.

Anyway, we had breakfast today at our usual spot and she was ga-ga-ing over my ring, and we were talking about jewels as we often do, and she said ''''Whatever should I do with my mother''''s wedding ring? It''''s sad that it just sits in its box. It''''s not like I can wear it.'''' I said ''''Does it have stones in it? Could you wear it as a necklace or re-set them?'''' and she said no & no. SO, having determined that it''''s not valuable (except sentimentally) I said: "Well, one thing you could do with it, if you felt comfortable, would be to lend it to me as a charm attached to my bouquet - as part of my ''''something borrowed'''' it would mean a lot to me to have your family symbolically with me as I get married!" She was absolutely DELIGHTED with the idea. And so am I! I''''m also attaching my grammy''''s wedding ring and, as my ''''something old,'''' a silver filigree bracelet from my late maternal grandmother.

Her mother (my grammy''''s aunt) always treated my grammy with special love and is grammy''''s dearest late relative. So that will be a special thing for me too.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, that sounds *wonderful*. I bet she''s happy to be honoured like that too. I''m totally new to this "charm" thing. I guess I''ll have to look through some bridal threads. Not for myself, but I have 2 daughters. It sounds like a lovely tradition.
26.gif

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Awwww...what a wonderful outcome! It sounds like she''s a lovely person, and it''ll be so nice to have her represented there with you! :)

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Rats, Indy, I can''t see the picture! Can you post it again?

A lovely sentiment, and I am so glad it worked out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results