shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on composting human remains

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now old, my thoughts turn to this topic.

I really like the idea of composting and returning my body to the earth's biosphere, from whence it came.
This strikes me as reasonable, and right.
Since my earliest memories I have embraced rebelling from garbage ideas invented by humans to make us believe we are more than we are, and matter more than we do.

It makes sense to me that when we die the rest of us (that which is not physical) just goes back to being whatever we were (rather, whatever it was) before birth ... which perhaps is just nothing beyond various forms of carbon-based life forms.
It seems to me that anything more is just narcissism, arrogance.

Unfortunately a life, a mind, and a person, while precious, is a temporary thing.
When the brain stops getting oxygen it dies.
It follows that the mind dies.
Then it follows that the person dies.

It also makes sense to me that if you want the closest thing to eternal life, have a kid.
To raise the odds of eternal life have as many kids as possible.
How so?
A sperm and an egg are not dead.
They are alive.
They are 100% you, just like cells of your heart, and those of your brain.
Each of us is a physical continuation of the lives of our parents.

But I digress.
After reading this NPR article, please post your thoughts about composting human remains.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no objection to composting or disposing of human remains by more environmentally responsible methods than traditional burial or cremation. We've opted for a natural burial here https://theforestconservationburial.org/.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your body, your choice.

While I prefer cremation, I completely understand why one would want to be composted. It just sounds nasty to me, not that burning up and then having my bones thrown in a food processor sounds awesome....

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think we have aquamation in CT yet, but I'd like to see it be available here.

Bianca201

Rough_Rock
The husband and I have been doing some research around human composting, being people of a certain age plus recently married plus getting all our documents in order (yay for responsible adulting!). We are in WA state, and have at least two local companies that do it.

The husband kept hearing ads on NPR for Recompose, so he was a fan before I really even knew such a thing existed. I made fun of it for months, especially after hearing an ad - it sounded like a SNL skit. So cheesy and dumb. And then, somehow, while drafting our wills, it become a conversational topic.

What we have learned so far is fascinating and - to me - feels emotionally better than being buried in a steel box or getting cremated. I've not read about water cremation before, so thank you to the person who posted that link, super interesting!

Our next step will be to stop in at either Recompose or Earth Funeral (the two local companies I know of) to see what it's like at their facility and to finalize all the things.

The PBS video that helped me decide it's not terrible:

From a local news station:

So yes, pro human composting, as creepy as that sentence sounds.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Composting etc. just makes sense. I'd like to be useful.

When I saw the aquamation my brain, of course, went straight to aquarium and I thought, 'You know, I'd make a fine decoration in a shark tank somewhere. They could set me up to give facts or be doing something weird'.
There must be treasure nearby, of course.
I'd be happy entertaining the kids.

d96646d7aa32590c7ee565fc7546b9e7.jpg

Rebel Rebel

Rough_Rock
To clarify, I only learned about aquamation after I had to suddenly cremate a loved one.

I have no investment in this other than information.

On a personal note, I feel it's very valuable to have some important conversations with your loved ones in advance regarding these issues.

I have a discrete urn that brings me comfort every day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results