carat
color
clarity

Update from WHO-asymptomatic carries NOT likely to transmit COVID

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHO guidance on mask wearing:

According to the current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people via respiratory droplets and contact routes. Droplet transmission occurs when a person is in close contact (within 1 metre) with an infected person and exposure to potentially infective respiratory droplets occurs, for example, through coughing, sneezing or very close personal contact resulting in the inoculation of entry portals such as the mouth, nose or conjunctivae (eyes)

Current evidence suggests that most transmission of COVID- 19 is occurring from symptomatic people to others in close contact, when not wearing appropriate PPE.

Results from cluster randomized controlled trials on the use of masks among young adults living in university residences in the United States of America indicate that face masks may reduce the rate of influenza-like illness, but showed no impact on risk of laboratory-confirmed influenza.(62, 63) At present, there is no direct evidence (from studies on COVID- 19 and in healthy people in the community) on the effectiveness of universal masking of healthy people in the community to prevent infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19.

Many countries have recommended the use of fabric masks/face coverings for the general public. At the present time, the widespread use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not yet supported by high quality or direct scientific evidence and there are potential benefits and harms to consider (see below).

Potential benefits/advantages

The likely advantages of the use of masks by healthy people in the general public include:

• reduced potential exposure risk from infected persons
before they develop symptoms;

reduced potential stigmatization of individuals wearing masks to prevent infecting others (source control) or of people caring for COVID-19 patients in non-clinical settings;(70)

making people feel they can play a role in contributing to stopping spread of the virus;

reminding people to be compliant with other measures (e.g., hand hygiene, not touching nose and mouth). However, this can also have the reverse effect (see below);

• potential social and economic benefits. Amidst the global shortage of surgical masks and PPE, encouraging the public to create their own fabric masks may promote individual enterprise and community integration. Moreover, the production of non-medical masks may offer a source of income for those able to manufacture masks within their communities. Fabric masks can also be a form of cultural expression, encouraging public acceptance of protection measures in general. The safe re-use of fabric masks will also reduce costs and waste and contribute to sustainability.

Potential harms/disadvantages

The likely disadvantages of the use of mask by healthy people in the general public include:

potential increased risk of self-contamination due to the manipulation of a face mask and subsequently touching eyes with contaminated hands; (48, 49)

potential self-contamination that can occur if non- medical masks are not changed when wet or soiled. This can create favourable conditions for microorganism to amplify;

potential headache and/or breathing difficulties, depending on type of mask used;

potential development of facial skin lesions, irritant dermatitis or worsening acne, when used frequently for long hours;(50)

difficulty with communicating clearly;

potential discomfort; (41, 51)

a false sense of security, leading to potentially lower
adherence to other critical preventive measures such as
physical distancing and hand hygiene;

• poor compliance with mask wearing, in particular by
young children;

waste management issues; improper mask disposal
leading to increased litter in public places, risk of
contamination to street cleaners and environment hazard
;

difficulty communicating for deaf persons who rely on
lip reading;

• disadvantages for or difficulty wearing them, especially
for children, developmentally challenged persons, those with mental illness, elderly persons with cognitive impairment, those with asthma or chronic respiratory or breathing problems, those who have had facial trauma or recent oral maxillofacial surgery, and those living in hot and humid environments.

So, by my reading:

- there is no direct or high-quality evidence that non-medical masks stop the spread of Covid-19

- the spread of the virus is mostly occurring when people are in close contact (<1m) and not wearing PPE

- WHO and governments recommending non-medical mask use by the non-symptomatic general public is to:
-- make people 'feel like they are making a difference';
-- to 'reduce stigmatisation' of those who already choose to wear them;
-- to 'encourage public acceptance of protection measures in general'

- the negative impacts include:
-- increased risk of self-contamination,
-- personal discomfort,
-- risk of headache and/or breathing difficulties,
-- difficulty communicating (especially for those with hearing difficulties),
-- risk of increased litter and contamination from discarded masks

The evidence against mask use by the general public therefore seems strong to me, whereas the evidence for seems to be weak and focused on trying to engender compliance, make others feel better and make us feel like we're 'making a difference' :rolleyes:

That does not seem to be a very scientific approach and rather more a societal engineering approach. :|

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
WTH....as much as we are all going through would it be too much to ask them to fact check themselves before they put the world into a tizzy....again.

They are making themselves a complete joke.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you were sitting next to me w/o a mask I'm ok with that. I'm not gonna insist that you should wear one.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
good articles from WaPo.

it's logical that a person who has Covid-19 but no symptoms can sneeze, cough, spit when speaking (you know normal stuff) and the symptom less person can spread the virus, we get by touching something and touching our face, by breathing it through our mouths or nose. So if a person is symptom less they still could spread it.

So we have WHO one one side backtracking, the CDC recommending wearing so what should we do, what we want I think.

I know I am symptom less but my husband is having eye surgery and I'm not even allowed into the hospital, not even with a mask.. it's all in the chances you want to take, the chances I want to take etc. I know I will wear a mask till there's good scientific backup or a vaccine. YMMV.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results