shape
carat
color
clarity

Unusual lady in waiting scenario

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lonny

Rough_Rock
Hi

Well I thought I would join the lovely ladies of this forum, as IRL there is no-one I can talk to about this. I am in Australia and upgrades are pretty much unheard - and to be honest, until I started to lurk on this forum it was a thought I would not have had nor understood either - but I have been converted (or corrupted
31.gif
).

My DH and I have been married for 15 years and the last two years have had huge issues we have overcome, it wasnt an easy two years, and I wasnt sure how we would turn out, but we are stronger for it. Anyway, DH knowing that I lurk on here and have related stories, pictures has decided that to celebrate our new beginning to upgrade my e-ring. We will keep the same setting to honour the past, but upgrade the stone to symbolise our new start and well, 15 years have passed - so we have grown iykwim.

It makes perfect sense to us, but I am a bit scared by friends and relatives reactions as to why we would suddenly get a noticably bigger (especialy for Australia e-ring), no-one knows what we have gone through, but at the same time, the old e-ring does not feel right anymore - we have grown and matured.

So....... I am 15 years married and slightly nervous and very exicted to plan my e-ring and wait patiently
23.gif
for my renewal proposal...
4.gif
, I just wish we were in the states where this wouldnt be seen so materialistically, but I love love sparkles and the symbolism is perfect for us, and it is all DH idea - so anyway, we are talking to a number of vendors and counting down until he gets the ring and then the wait begins..............

Thanks for letting me share.
Lonny

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!

I believe our lovely LaraOnline was in your position (and also in Oz), so you''re definitely not the only lady that''s waited for a gorgeous new upgrade. Congratulations on the new ring, and your lovely DH. 15 years is fantastic!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2009 8:55:49 AM
Author:Lonny
I just wish we were in the states where this wouldnt be seen so materialistically, but I love love sparkles and the symbolism is perfect for us, and it is all DH idea - so anyway, we are talking to a number of vendors and counting down until he gets the ring and then the wait begins..............

Thanks for letting me share.
Lonny
That's funny - so your saying that Amercan's are all materialistic and obsessed with big diamonds
9.gif

No seriously, I live in the UK where the average size engagement ring is 0.25 carat but mine is over a carat. My friends and family know I'm not materialistic and the reaction I get from strangers when they see it is always complementary - in fact I went to a bar in London last night and the barman was drooling over my ring (very strange)
33.gif

If I were you, I would just look forward to getting that new ring on my finger.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lonny! I''m in the same situation as LondonGirl, only in Ireland. The comments I get on my centre stone are funny
3.gif
but people will get used to it, don''t worry.

How exciting for you and your hubby, I can''t wait to see what your guys get!

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on 15 years!! And welcome to LIW
1.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t worry about what other people think, just ENJOY it!

KatM

Shiny_Rock
i think you should do what you want without saying too much about it and forget everyone else. maybe try to just talk about it with your husband, because talking about it with others really does invite their own opinions. i think also you would be surprised at how self absorbed many people are, and they might not even notice the increase (even it if is very dramatic).

and remember that you don''t have to explain or apologize to anyone. the ring, the money and the decision belong to you and your husband only.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just say its my 15 year anniversary present (to anyone who ask) and leave it at that...no further explanation is
required. If they push then I''d say something like "because I wanted it" in a tone that showed you were annoyed
with the conversation.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I think you would suprised to see how many Aussies have upgrades and nice diamonds. I, for one, am an Aussie, Have been engaged for 5 months, have a carat on my finger and i am already dreaming of the day that i can upgrade! lol.
3.gif

Seriously though, it''s no ones business, and i think you will be suprised with how many people don''t care what ring you have on your finger, and yes, i agree with tyty, if any one asks, it''s an anniversary present and if anyone asks how you paid for it tell them you have been saving since the day you got married!
9.gif

Have fun shopping for your new diamond!!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m a kiwi and totally relate- for a furture anniversary FF and I have talked about upgrading (my e-ring is beautiful and I LOVE it but it has a few ''issues''- it''s what we can afford) and I had never hurd of upgrading untill PS and I''m sure some people may not understand given that it is way more then the average size here too.

This is advice that I should also give myself: I think you should just try to care less about what other people think. Get it because you want it and it makes you happy. I don''t think you''ll get the kind of negitive reactions you''re expecting, we always hype these things up in our heads to be worse then they are.

(I also agree that in some areas of the US it is way more normal to have a massive rock then many other places in the world.)

Lonny

Rough_Rock
thanks for all your replies everyone

I swear I am as excited as a real LIW as DH intentds to do the whole proposal thing, he he
26.gif

We were young and not at all romantic the first time round, not that it really matters, as it is the love that counts, but it will be nice to have a re-confirmation of our love and what we have been through.
Well, I guess I am a bit shy in terms of not wanting to stand out, and in Oz 1 carat + definately stands out, but I dooo love love diamonds.

Well, off to get the quotes done and see the options.

The beauty and in some way the sadness is that the diamond outlives you, does anyone ever think that? I mean pretty much everything else starts to fall apart with age, but a diamond just keeps on going.

Lonny

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results