shape
carat
color
clarity

Until now this luddite had pretty much ignored artificial intelligence

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But this weekend it became very interesting.
Our planet's epicenter of new-technology, Silicon Valley, was just suddenly struck by a tornado, an earthquake, a tsunami, a flood, and a volcano.

A year ago OpenAI, a global leader in AI development, released their ChatGPB to the public.
The NYT link below states, they're "already on track to post $1 billion in annual in (sic) revenue."
But last Friday the board stunned the tech world by firing OpenAI's CEO, Sam Altman.
Then OpenAI's co-founder and president Sam Brockton quickly resigned in protest.

Everything was going so well, so why was Sam fired?
It's a mystery I've been sussing out because the board's only clue was, “Put simply, Sam’s behavior and lack of transparency in his interactions with the board undermined the board’s ability to effectively supervise the company in the manner it was mandated to do,”

Sam has grown to become the darling of AI.
He's also the darling of not only his employees (take THAT Steve Jobs), but, get this, Washington D.C. :shock:
Sam is of different ilk than evil-doers like Facebook's Zuckerberg, Amazon's Jeff Bezos, et al.
Instead of hiding from Congress (by only testifying when subpoenaed) Sam enthusiastically volunteers to present and explain AI to congress as the next wonderful world-changing thing.

The evolution of human societies have long been facilitated by technological breakthroughs.
c. 1440 the Gutenberg press introduced mass produced books, instead of a very few expensive hand-written ones.
This spread literacy.
Then there was the Industrial Revolution, electricity, radio, TV, Internet, web browsers, then Facebook et al.
The buzz now is that AI IS the next thing, and may out-revolutionize all previous revolutions. The money and power to be made by starting and owning whichever AI technology to take hold first is beyond calculation.
Remember all those startups before Google won the browser race?

Naturally investors want in at the ground floor, including Microsoft to the tune of $13+ Billion.
Imagine if you could go back in time and buy Coke or apple stock at their start-up prices. :$$)::$$)::$$):
A few hours ago Microsoft offered jobs to Sam and Greg ...

NYT snip:
... in another head-spinning move, Microsoft said it was hiring Mr. Altman and Greg Brockman, OpenAI’s president and a company co-founder who quit in solidarity with Mr. Altman. The two men will lead an advanced research lab at Microsoft.

But AI comes with very serious potential dangers.
It's expected to make countless jobs obsolete.
Worse, if machines get smarter than humans they could literally take over.
AI may even beat climate change to making humans join the dinosaurs in extinction.

But how could this corporate kerfuffle even happen?
The structure of Open AI's corporate governance is unique.
A non-profit heads it all, with OpenAI as a subsidiary.
The board reports to the non-profit, not to OpenAI or to Sam.
None of the board members own stock in the company, so they apparently are not motivated by financial gain.
Fascinating!

We've see how social media has harmed society, politics, and democracy.
AI is like social media on steroids & crack.

My take:
The board is for proceeding slowly on AI and with caution.
Sam, Microsoft, and investors, are for grabbing the money before someone else does.

Classic good vs. evil.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's official.
Altman and Brockton were both just hired by Microsoft (MS).
MS will also offer positions to OpenAI's top brains.
If they care about money, they'll move to MS.
I'm sure Altman and Brockton knows who the keepers are.

I wonder whether OpenAL will just shrivel up now.
Their investors are probably stampeding out the door.

So, MS and their AI team will get rich and to hell with damage that AI does to the 8 billion losers who don't work for MS.
Once again the rich get even richer.
Evil wins. :nono:

I'm curious about who owns the knowhow Sam accumulated at OpenAI, OpenAI or Sam?
Don't companies require signed NDAs, ensuring personnel don't make off with the knowledge they helped developed during their employment?

If the info is owned by openAI then wouldn't Sam and Greg have to start from scratch to avoid lawsuits?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thesis for my undergrad (many moons ago) was AI. I wish I'd figured out how to monetise this fascination.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results