shape
carat
color
clarity

Unsolicited e-mails from vendors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

Testing the water on this one....

I bought a pair of diamond studs from one of the popular vendors on PS in April 2006.

This was the third time I purchased something from this vendor. Everytime I have been extremely happy with the customer service and the quality of the product. I will definitely buy from them again and plan to upgrade the diamond studs to something bigger in the near future.

Recently however, I have received the same sales e-mail twice from two different "Diamond Consultants" from this vendor. Both encouraged me to compliment my diamond earrings with a new product they have. They also encouraged me to browse their website and to e-mail them personally or call the toll-free number if there is anything I am interested in.

I guess I wouldn''t have minded if I received the e-mail once from the diamond consultant I had bought the diamond studs from. Or if I had signed up to receive sales e-mails from them.

How do you feel about this? Would you mind it or not?

Thanks
Maya

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Maya...I see from your previous posts that you bought your studs from WF. hehee sorry, i was curious.

anyway, i didn't know they were sending out emails like that since i never get anything, hehee, but if it bothers you, i would just email back and say 'please remove me from your email list...i'll call you when i need something'. i typically don't mind sales types of emails, but if i don't like them, i tell the vendor so. and i ask to not be bothered again. oh and i would also say in my email WHY i was opting out from getting future ones. as someone who used to do email marketing...it always helps to know why clients don't want to hear from you...
5.gif

if you don't want to get the emails, just ask them to stop.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara

I think you are missing the point.

I did not name the vendor since I did not want it to be a vendor-specific issue/question.

E-mail addresses are a very valuable resource these days. But I don''t think that just because you bought something from a vendor means they can send you e-mails with regards to their products without giving you the option to opt out, or unsubscribe when you buy from them. Furthermore two different consultants send the EXACT SAME e-mail to me about two months apart. I wonder if they have control over their e-mail database then?

Whenever I buy something from an online store, I have the option to opt in / out from their mailing list. And if I opt in but are no longer interested, I do not need to e-mail each person who send me a sales pitch personally or phone them, I just unsubscribe from their database with a click of a button.

Maya

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So do you want off the list, or are you upset that they have you on there in the first place or are you upset that they don't have a better system in place to have you opt-out or opt-in? I'm confused as to what the point is I guess.

Not everyone has a sophisticated system in place to do email marketing. I don't know if WF is heading there or what...but in leiu of having an option to just opt out online, emailing back one person and saying 'please remove me from Whiteflash's email list' should do the trick.

Email marketing is tricky because some consumers feel like they should be asked to opt-in or out even if that's not required by law. But not every company has that policy. I personally don't mind getting emails from vendors when I am the customer because it's really easy to just send an email saying take me off the list. As long as they listen, I'm happy.

Is there something else I am missing? Oh and again I think you should share your thoughts with WF/the vendor...because your input as a customer is valuable to any company who wants to know how to better market to you in the future.
2.gif
If you feel like it should always be opt-in vs opt-out, then tell them.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
ditto to Mara''s posting, but also wanted to add that since you have an existing business relationship with the company, they are legally allowed to send you email if you previously provided your email address. They should give you the option to opt out, but since their system may not be the best, you shouldn''t take it personally. Simply email them and tell them to remove you. As to why you got the same email from two different people, I''m guessing it was probably a template marketing email and there''s a good chance your name ended up in more than one list. I do database work for a living and our marketing department sometimes requests lists that overlap. It happens.

If you''re unhappy about it, email them, but don''t let it upset you too much.
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I think if it was a company you had no previous relationship sending the emails it would be reasonable to be irritated but you have already bought things from them. Just ask them to stop and take you off the list if it bothers you. It is kind of like a store sending you their catalog for a while after you bought something from them. I really don''t get mad when I get the SI catalog and I wouldn''t care if WF emailed me like that, although we bought our e-ring from them and all they sent us was a congratulations and a starbucks gift card
1.gif

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to those who seem to think I am bashing Whiteflash. Please read my first post - I did not name them and I said I was very happy with their product and customer service. There is really no need to rush to their defense and attack me in the proses.

I guess in a round about way, my original questions have been answered

It seems that based on those who have responded: They feel pretty strong about it, that they don''t mind.

I don''t mind getting recommendation e-mails from the person from whom I have bought stuff in the past either and for whom I will ask when I want to buy again. (Don''t we all have our favorite Diamond Consultant at our favorite vendor?) I consider it as building a relationship with someone from whom you buy relatively pricey stuff.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 10:27:43 PM
Author: Maya Moonstone
Sorry to those who seem to think I am bashing Whiteflash. Please read my first post - I did not name them and I said I was very happy with their product and customer service. There is really no need to rush to their defense and attack me in the proses.
I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Who attacked you? Who thought you were bashing WF? Who was defending THEM?
33.gif

All I see here is some valid information here re: people's thoughts in general about customer marketing, and email marketing specifics...To me this wasn't even about the vendor...but they WERE referenced because they are the vendor. However, it doesn't matter who the vendor is, the jist remains the same.

I'm just surprised at your comments above re: being attacked. Am I on some alternate universe here?!
40.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maya:

I do not like solicitation of any sort that I have not subscribed to, so I would not like it. I would send an email requesting removal of my email address from their list. Perhaps on the email they sent you, there might be a link to take you off the list.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I probably wouldn''t mind and would just email back to remove me from the list. you could always bounce the email
11.gif
2.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock

I guess in a round about way, my original questions have been answered

It seems that based on those who have responded: They feel pretty strong about it, that they don''t mind.

I don''t mind getting recommendation e-mails from the person from whom I have bought stuff in the past either and for whom I will ask when I want to buy again. (Don''t we all have our favorite Diamond Consultant at our favorite vendor?) I consider it as building a relationship with someone from whom you buy relatively pricey stuff.
I think it would be ENTIRELY reasonable to recieve emails from a company I have done extensive business with - regardless of which ''diamond representative'' was sending the email. Since you obviously provided your address to them previously, I think it is just fine to send you things this way. I mean really, are you getting this upset about Amazon sending you emails, or Zappos, or some other online company? I''m guessing here about random other internet companies, but really, what''s the problem?

Do you feel pressured by the emails to buy something? If that''s the case, just ask them to stop. The only problem I could understand getting REMOTELY upset about is if you ASKED them to stop and they DIDN''T. You can''t expect them to read your mind if you don''t tell them!

Also, honestly, with email, how hard is it to simply DELETE something you don''t want, or didn''t solicit? I mean SPAM is rampant in this day and age... and this ISN''T really spam, since you LIKE this company, have PURCHASED from them previously, and VOLUNTEERED your e-mail address.

I think you''re being a little unreasonable here. Chill out. Call and ask someone to remove your name if you''re so upset about it.
I''m laughing a little, wondering what your reaction would be to some slightly-less-classy spam... like an offer for penis enlargement. I mean really, aren''t THOSE emails the ones you should get all up in arms about?

Aussiegirl : p

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 8:19:42 PM
Author:Maya Moonstone
Hi

Testing the water on this one....

I bought a pair of diamond studs from one of the popular vendors on PS in April 2006.

This was the third time I purchased something from this vendor. Everytime I have been extremely happy with the customer service and the quality of the product. I will definitely buy from them again and plan to upgrade the diamond studs to something bigger in the near future.

Recently however, I have received the same sales e-mail twice from two different 'Diamond Consultants' from this vendor. Both encouraged me to compliment my diamond earrings with a new product they have. They also encouraged me to browse their website and to e-mail them personally or call the toll-free number if there is anything I am interested in.

I guess I wouldn't have minded if I received the e-mail once from the diamond consultant I had bought the diamond studs from. Or if I had signed up to receive sales e-mails from them.

Thanks
Maya
I wouldn't like to receive the same email twice, and yes, I could certainly delete it without expending too much energy, but I wouldn't really like it either. I would ask for my email address to be removed, and move on with life. No need for anyone to get too personal or critical.

As for more profane email solicitations....well, I really wouldn't expect them to care whether I liked getting their spam or not, whereas I am sure any vendor who has done business with someone multiple times will care very much.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 8:19:42 PM
Author:Maya Moonstone
I don''t think I would mind ... but I might feel a little uncomfortable at the thought that one sales rep was moving in on another sales reps "territory" .. but probably just assume it was a misunderstanding ... unless it continued over time.

Ever since I went "freelance" in my career -- I''ve had a LOT more patience for service and sales professionals of ALL sorts. It''s a hard thing to wake up every morning and know that you depend on other people buying in order to bring home YOUR bacon. Repeat business is sometimes the best source of future profits. You''ve got pre-qualified people who are known to you, ESPECIALLY "happy" customers! I always look forward to talking to or contacting people who''ve liked my work in the past ...

HOWEVER ... if I felt unduly "pressured" or targeted or pursued by a sales professional ... I''d be honest about it. When we were car shopping, one sales person KEPT calling, day in day out, week in week out. I was polite for a while, because we were really thinking of purchasing from them - but the minute we decided on another brand ... I told her ... and she stopped calling. My rights to "not be annoyed" don''t really trump another person''s right to try to feed their family. At least that''s how I try to behave.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Maya, I have recently received these emails as well. I don''t mind it. If it doesn''t interest me I just delete it. As long as it''s not a constant email I get every day (or week or month etc.) then I''m fine with it.

Also, I don''t feel like anyone here is trying to attack you or defend them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few personal emails from a vendor I delt with before wouldnt bug me.
But a form letter would.
But 2 emails over an extended period of time wouldnt get me too upset even if they were form letters.
I would likely either ignore it or send them an email saying hey I dont want ads but if ya want to chat drop me a line.

That's where my line is if its blatant marketing and I didn't sign up for it then there is a problem if its a "chat" from someone iv dealt with then its kewl in moderation.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Maya, I don''t like those emails either, but if I received only two, I would just delete them as well. No sense getting worked up over something that''s rather trivial. Of course, after I deleted them, I would email the company requesting that no more solicitations be sent. That really is the best way to deal with it; it just isn''t worth getting aggravated over.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all the responses.

I guess we all have our own comfort level with regards to the use of our e-mail addresses, marketing and our relationships with those we deal with. And we are certainly all entitled to have an opinion and a comfort level.

BTW, I did delete the e-mails since I do not really care for the product they wanted to sell to me. I just wanted to get a feeling of other''s opinion on the issue. Phew...I really did get a reaction, and then some. I only received two e-mails (maybe not enough to post about on here?)

This form of marketing may however be something vendors will consider expanding in the future. If a vendor do decide to use this way of marketing, I would expect them to do it with the necesarry research and ensure that they have a system in place that won''t lead to customer fatique and wariness.

Maya

PS: Contrary to popular believe I am not upset about it, irritated by it, annoyed or offended. And I definitely do not classify the e-mails I received in the same light as slightly-less-classy e-mails. I have received THOSE e-mails occasionaly, but since I am very carefull in the use of the different e-mail address I use for business transactions, the one I use for friends and family and the one I use for subscriptions to public forums, I don''t get too many of THOSE e-mails.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Agree with storm. I don''t like unsolicited emails at all but considering amount of spam I''m getting a couple of emails is below my tolerance threshold.

My real-estate agent sends me a few formal emails a year although I haven''t asked him. He''s a nice guy and we''d work with him next time but I see that it is mass-mail
20.gif
. Not impressed but not angry either.

What really annoys me if you try to unsubscribe but still receive the mass-mail
emotion-41.gif
29.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 12:41:52 AM
Thanks to all the responses.

I guess we all have our own comfort level with regards to the use of our e-mail addresses, marketing and our relationships with those we deal with. And we are certainly all entitled to have an opinion and a comfort level.

BTW, I did delete the e-mails since I do not really care for the product they wanted to sell to me. I just wanted to get a feeling of other's opinion on the issue. Phew...I really did get a reaction, and then some. I only received two e-mails (maybe not enough to post about on here?)

This form of marketing may however be something vendors will consider expanding in the future. If a vendor do decide to use this way of marketing, I would expect them to do it with the necesarry research and ensure that they have a system in place that won't lead to customer fatique and wariness.

Maya

PS: Contrary to popular believe I am not upset about it, irritated by it, annoyed or offended. And I definitely do not classify the e-mails I received in the same light as slightly-less-classy e-mails. I have received THOSE e-mails occasionaly, but since I am very carefull in the use of the different e-mail address I use for business transactions, the one I use for friends and family and the one I use for subscriptions to public forums, I don't get too many of THOSE e-mails.
Since these e-mails clearly had no emotional effect on you at all, dare I ask what the problem is?

I'm not trying to be rude, really, but I'm missing how these emails are really affecting you.

By the way, have you called the vendor yet?

Aussiegirl

ETA: All I'm saying is that you could have FIXED the problem already if you deal with the vendor directly. You can 'test the waters' all you want with us. But does it really matter what we think? Clearly your opinions on this are strong. Take control of the situation and deal with it.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Since I'm one of the 3 people that responded to you before you posted this, I'm assuming I'm included in the people you felt were attacking you and defending WF, which completely boggles my mind. I read all the postings and still can't figure out what upset you. All I did, and the other posters too, was to explain how the process works because you did ask if it was legal in your second posting. Do you honestly construe that as a defense? I have never done any business with WF and have no desire to lambast or defend them. I was merely explaining how affinity marketing and email marketing work based on my own extensive experience.

Since you asked if I would care, I wouldn't. I actually enjoy receiving targeted emails from companies I have done business with. I do mind spam, and am currently waging a war on it as someone named Marlene used my email address for a survey site and I am now getting 30 emails a day for Christian dating sites. I'm neither Single nor Christian. THAT bothers me. This wouldn't.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi my name is Irina and i LIKE receiving "enlargement spam". Do you want to now why? Because compare to this:

" If you do not ban everyone from "... debt" thread I''ll shoot myself immediately!" - "enlargement" is my tiniest
9.gif
problem.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, Irina, I get those, too!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy the Nigerian money laundering ones myself. Of course, every time I meet someone from Nigeria (happens occasionally because I work in DC) I find myself smirking and wondering "maybe he sends those emails!"

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Good morning everyone

My favorite diamond consultant from Whiteflash contacted me, apologized and explained the situation. She is a very classy lady and I will definitely buy from Whiteflash in the future.

I strongly feel that it never was about Whiteflash. Maybe if I never mentioned that it was a popular online diamond vendor and never mentioned the product I bought from them this thread wouldn''t have turned the direction it did. In hindsight I wish I did not even start this thread.

I am obviously not as eloquent as I thought I was.
7.gif
My apologies to Whiteflash for unintentionally bringing their name into this.

Maya

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 11:03:37 AM

Good morning everyone

My favorite diamond consultant from Whiteflash contacted me, apologized and explained the situation. She is a very classy lady and I will definitely buy from Whiteflash in the future.

I strongly feel that it never was about Whiteflash. Maybe if I never mentioned that it was a popular online diamond vendor and never mentioned the product I bought from them this thread wouldn''t have turned the direction it did. In hindsight I wish I did not even start this thread.

7.gif

Maya
See this is a great example of PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE behavior. You had an issue. You wanted something done about it. But instead of going and dealing with it directly, you come here and start a thread to ''test the waters.'' You don''t directly mention the vendor by name, but by your previous posts, it''s obvious who it is. So you post your complaint and wait. Then an employee from this vendor is forced to contact to because you''ve brought your personal business with that vendor onto a public forum.

Since I do not even pretend to be eloquent, I''ll here reference an encyclopedia to emphasize my point. An excerpt from a definition of "passive agressive"...

"Someone who is passive-aggressive will typically not confront others directly about problems, but instead will attempt to undermine their confidence or their success through comments and actions which, if challenged, can be explained away innocently so as not to place blame on the passive-aggressive person.... Often passive-aggressive behavior manifests itself in individuals who view themselves as "peaceful." These individuals feel that expressing their anger through passive-aggressive behavior is morally favorable to direct confrontation."

Grow up, and learn to confront those you have issue with directly.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 11:12:10 AM
Author: aussiegirl23

Date: 7/27/2006 11:03:37 AM

Good morning everyone

7.gif

Maya

See this is a great example of PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE behavior. You had an issue. You wanted something done about it. But instead of going and dealing with it directly, you come here and start a thread to ''test the waters.'' You don''t directly mention the vendor by name, but by your previous posts, it''s obvious who it is. So you post your complaint and wait. Then an employee from this vendor is forced to contact to because you''ve brought your personal business with that vendor onto a public forum.

Since I do not even pretend to be eloquent, I''ll here reference an encyclopedia to emphasize my point. An excerpt from a definition of ''passive agressive''...

''Someone who is passive-aggressive will typically not confront others directly about problems, but instead will attempt to undermine their confidence or their success through comments and actions which, if challenged, can be explained away innocently so as not to place blame on the passive-aggressive person.... Often passive-aggressive behavior manifests itself in individuals who view themselves as ''peaceful.'' These individuals feel that expressing their anger through passive-aggressive behavior is morally favorable to direct confrontation.''

Grow up, and learn to confront those you have issue with directly.

So you can diagnose and label Maya as a passive-aggressive personality after reading one thread?!
20.gif
38.gif

I hardly think Maya is a child in need of being told to grow up and learn a lesson. Perhaps she didn''t go about it the way you would have, but the situation has been resolved. Maya explained her train of thought on this matter, and apologized for any inconvenience she caused to Whiteflash.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
We are closing this thread as it gets personal, those who think it's because we are protecting WF please take a hike.
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results