shape
carat
color
clarity

Unplated 14k WG/no halo for warm diamond?

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
@sledge Oh man, thank you so much for posting links to your story! I've only made it through the first 2, and started on the one where you mentioned the Jared custom engagement ring setting. We are in a VERY similar situation! (Except I'm not trying to marry her, but I would get down on one knee and ask if she will be my SIL :kiss2: )

So looking at the settings you were first cruising through, I find myself in a similar situation. Except instead of one of the twists metal and one with pave, she only likes both twist bands to have diamonds. I'm finding this style, with or without a halo, is much more pricey than a more standard setting. I guess twisting the bands takes more craftsmanship than a standard split shank?

So I agree with trying to save $$ with a stock setting, I'm just having a hard time finding a balance of quality with being affordable. She found 2 settings at Spence she liked, I think they were $1300 and $930 for 18k WG. But I'm concerned about their sturdiness (especially the one with the wedding band in the photo), and I wonder if they're even worth that price. I don't want to break their budget on settings, and WHOA MAN I had no idea settings could get so expensive so quick! BGD settings don't really fit the budget or have the right style, and I think what's the point of getting an ideally cut diamond if it'll be in a poorly constructed setting? Arg :wall: My SIL is like your wife, they make it seem like they don't care but when you observe them you're thinking "........Yes, you do care!"

Going through you links, I found this setting from "With Clarity". Has anyone ever heard of them? They had a different company name in your previous threads.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 12.09.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 12.09.18 PM.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 133

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge Oh man, thank you so much for posting links to your story! I've only made it through the first 2, and started on the one where you mentioned the Jared custom engagement ring setting. We are in a VERY similar situation! (Except I'm not trying to marry her, but I would get down on one knee and ask if she will be my SIL :kiss2: )

So looking at the settings you were first cruising through, I find myself in a similar situation. Except instead of one of the twists metal and one with pave, she only likes both twist bands to have diamonds. I'm finding this style, with or without a halo, is much more pricey than a more standard setting. I guess twisting the bands takes more craftsmanship than a standard split shank?

So I agree with trying to save $$ with a stock setting, I'm just having a hard time finding a balance of quality with being affordable. She found 2 settings at Spence she liked, I think they were $1300 and $930 for 18k WG. But I'm concerned about their sturdiness (especially the one with the wedding band in the photo), and I wonder if they're even worth that price. I don't want to break their budget on settings, and WHOA MAN I had no idea settings could get so expensive so quick! BGD settings don't really fit the budget or have the right style, and I think what's the point of getting an ideally cut diamond if it'll be in a poorly constructed setting? Arg :wall: My SIL is like your wife, they make it seem like they don't care but when you observe them you're thinking "........Yes, you do care!"

Going through you links, I found this setting from "With Clarity". Has anyone ever heard of them? They had a different company name in your previous threads.

Thanks @sledge .

I think that is actually a Gabriel and Co. Setting or they have something simlar.

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
If melee will be of interest again, I'd say single cut works with anything - all there is to see from those stones is flickering brighteness with little sense of their colour, the smaller, the better (up to 1pt).

YES for HPD!
Ok, so is single cut different than traditional melee? I guess I have some more research to do :read:

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
With this budget, I think I'd focus on keeping the setting price down. @sledge can you post your thread with all the twisty turny settings? I can't pull it up in the search.

This may be work for her, but she might look at a straight shank on the engagement ring and the twisted eternity on the wedding band. Once married, many women have occasions where they only wear a wedding band...dirt, diapers, work, etc. A stand-along twisted/eternity type band has more presence and looks great along. It would also make finding an affordable setting easier. If she sticks with a simple solitaire and a more detailed band, she may be able to keep her setting if she upgrades the diamond (or lost little if it needs to be replaced).

1570998395074.png

I think this puts more emphasis on the diamond and provides more flexibility with bands and adding anniversary or fun bands.

1570998539641.png
1570998607333.png

EDITED TO ADD Another way to give the eternity/twisty feeling is to have a wedding band with marquise diamonds end to end. You get a lot of bling and they look great with rounds.

1570999120602.png

I'd add a little bezel
1570999325713.png
I agree with this, she seemed initially set on the engagement ring being a "one-stop-shop", but with their budget I'm thinking no. Also, she's pretty young and I don't think she realizes her tastes can/probably will change. She has this sentiment now that it's a ring she'll wear her whole life, and this might be true. Or it might not! I may need to take her to more shops...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That first one should be the Daffodil

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really the curvy/twisty stuff she wants, but it has some movement that I think is very nice and she may also appreciate. With the the way it thins and thickens at the right spots, it also makes the diamond look a little bigger.

1571074987439.png

1571075014706.png

@Trasid1 posted this a week or so ago, and I thought it looked very romantic and upscale for a stock Stueller setting. Might help maximize the dollar if she likes it too. Also, helps maximize finger coverage, which most you girls seem to appreciate. ;)2

Capture999.PNG

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander You're like my fairy godmother! :kiss2: How do you find all of these awesome websites!

So I've heard of James Allen, I know they're one of the big online vendors. It's been a long time since I've cruised their site though, they have SOOOOO many settings. Have you ever purchased a setting from them? Or do you use their designs as inspiration? And I really liked the Ritani setting, she really doesn't like a high profile or a head that just sticks out of the setting. The twisting sides tapering up toward the prongs is a nice look!

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Not really the curvy/twisty stuff she wants, but it has some movement that I think is very nice and she may also appreciate. With the the way it thins and thickens at the right spots, it also makes the diamond look a little bigger.

1571074987439.png

1571075014706.png

@Trasid1 posted this a week or so ago, and I thought it looked very romantic and upscale for a stock Stueller setting. Might help maximize the dollar if she likes it too. Also, helps maximize finger coverage, which most you girls seem to appreciate. ;)2
@sledge I love that Stuller setting you posted, I actually saved it for myself as an idea for a RHR in the future! I showed her vintage-y halos like that, she always went "it's ok....." So in engagement ring speak, that's a definite no.

That tapering solitaire setting is so cool, I've never seen one like that before. She refused all solitaires she was offered, but your pictures inspired me in another way..... the wedding ring! The engravings on it are so pretty, and catch the light like little diamonds. I wonder if instead of melee diamonds, she would enjoy a split shank or twist with that type of metal work?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander You're like my fairy godmother! :kiss2: How do you find all of these awesome websites!

So I've heard of James Allen, I know they're one of the big online vendors. It's been a long time since I've cruised their site though, they have SOOOOO many settings. Have you ever purchased a setting from them? Or do you use their designs as inspiration? And I really liked the Ritani setting, she really doesn't like a high profile or a head that just sticks out of the setting. The twisting sides tapering up toward the prongs is a nice look!
You are a wonderful {future} SIL to help like this.

I think during @sledge journey I looked at every twisty turny ring on the web! Many of us PSers were on a mission to help find "the one."

JA settings are a step above anything like a big-box jeweler, but certainly, not custom. I think they benefit from a higher polish and finish than they apply, but I'm kinda spoiled and will just run gold down to my own polishing wheel. Platinum I have to send out as I don't have duplicate systems. If you could get her to live with a JA setting and an HPD/WF/BGD diamond -- that is a great way to find some balance in this budget. You'd send the JA setting to the diamond seller. The diamond sellers always do the setting, unless it is a custom ring IMHO. Also, before you commit to a JA setting, send your inspiration to the diamond seller and see if they can match the style and price. Again, I'd make your wedding gift the upgraded finishing that HPD offers if you go with them.

So, another way to approach this is about the diamond. You specified super-ideals and I love them for all that they offer. I personally would choose a superideal if I was looking for a modern round. But, another way to balance the budget, given her setting choices and if she won't budge, is to approach ID jewelry in NYC or DBL. They are exceptional at finding unicorns and working on tight budget. They and DBL have found amazing SI2 that are a huge discount. By buying both a setting and diamond from them, you might see some cost savings.

For IDJ -- I can't recall the details of their upgrade program, but think they have to spend double -- but your brother/sister will have to decide if that is critical on a $2-3k diamond. She could always keep her first diamond as a pendant.

For DBL -- You'll have to ask them about any upgrade/trade-up. I can't recall.

A story...
I recently helped a new couple find a diamond and ring. She, like your future SIL, only wanted a fancy, twisty pave engagement ring. After a bit of education, I showed her that she had more flexibility with a well-crafted solitaire that allowed a straight band to fit against it. That included getting it a jacket or a matching wedding band to sandwich the ering when they had more money. They bought a setting very similar to the JA Petite Flower (locally crafted with a few tweaks I suggested) and added an OEC that we found for them at a seller in Northampton, Massachusetts. The OEC had a little flea bite, but it was able to be placed under a prong. She added marquise band, 3/4 around, like I suggested above. She is already plotting for a full diamond jacket for their 5th anniversary. I'll probably sent them to DK for that. She'll move her marquise band to her right hand when she wears the fancy jacket. But, in the end, you gottta go in the direction your brother/sister and future SIL send you...

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander Thanks for your kind words, I care for her very much. She's a good person and works hard, and even though they don't have 10-15k to drop on this project..... I'd still like her to have something nice.

How lucky for me you recently went on the hunt for @sledge! I thought affordable, quality twist rings would be easier to find than this. That's good to know the diamond seller is the one who should set the stone, I'm sure the people at JA are honest but..... Yeah I'd trust BGD/WF/HPD for something like that too. I think she would live with a less expensive setting, after she was presented with $3500-$4500 settings at the first 2 stores, she settled (in my mind) for two inexpensive settings at Spence. I'd like to find a balance in between.

I've kicked these ideas around in my head but you articulated it well. I told her when the time came, I had a list of 3 vendors I prefer to use for the MRB (we're lucky to have WF and BGD just 4 hours away in Houston). BUT...... everything you said is correct. Perhaps I'm falsely assuming she would want (or even be able to perceive) the high performance I expect out of a center diamond. I know very little about IDJ, but I follow DBL on IG and love his posts here on the forum. He tends to love the obscure and unusual, which I appreciate as much as the super ideals.

When my SIL saw some "GIA EX" with K and M color (I thought they were average, not impressed but not repulsed) SHE seemed to like both of them well enough. Perhaps a flawless ASET is not critical for her to be pleased overall with her ring. You've given me much to consider :think:

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Again, I'd make your wedding gift the upgraded finishing that HPD offers if you go with them.

I've considered helping her get a custom setting, and putting a little extra touch as my gift to them (since they will probably let me orchestrate this). So you mentioning HPD, probably a self-evident question but..... are they really that good? Dumb question right:lol:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI I thought DK was pretty reasonable. The price I mentioned earlier was for both rings. The e-ring was a little cheaper than Jared's but the wedding band was a few hundred more. In both cases the quality was 10x better and was able to improve on some of the design flaws of the original inspiration.

As far as the diamond goes....a premium or expert select from WF is screaming to me. Near miss ACA with reduced pricing and the same great upgrade policies. You have to examine, but most are very minimal issues and would have no effect on real world viewing.

Also, you may look at BGD Blue stones. The medium+ fluor helps lower pricing and can be a perk in lower colored stones.

I don't think I've seen a CBI I didn't like but sometimes they can be a little more expensive. On a tight budget that may be tough to swallow.

And every once in awhile VC will have a great price as well.

Work has me going 100mph but I will try to do some searches later.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also check upgrade policies. She's young and the likelihood she will upgrade will change over the years. Especially if she ever visits the diamond drug house, errrr.....PS.

WF and HPD is simple. Spend the same or more money and get full credit of the original purchase. I think VC is the same. BGD doesn't restrict dollars but requires you to upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: clarity, color or carat weight.

Guys like JA and many locals require 2x the initial value.

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
FYI I thought DK was pretty reasonable. The price I mentioned earlier was for both rings. The e-ring was a little cheaper than Jared's but the wedding band was a few hundred more. In both cases the quality was 10x better and was able to improve on some of the design flaws of the original inspiration.

As far as the diamond goes....a premium or expert select from WF is screaming to me. Near miss ACA with reduced pricing and the same great upgrade policies. You have to examine, but most are very minimal issues and would have no effect on real world viewing.

Also, you may look at BGD Blue stones. The medium+ fluor helps lower pricing and can be a perk in lower colored stones.

I don't think I've seen a CBI I didn't like but sometimes they can be a little more expensive. On a tight budget that may be tough to swallow.

And every once in awhile VC will have a great price as well.

Work has me going 100mph but I will try to do some searches later.
Thank you for your help, I know we all have busy lives so I'm grateful for anyone's time! I recently learned about "Expert Select" from WF. I've seen some with a small amount of light leakage near the periphery, which could probably be covered by prongs. I'm all about saving a little money here and there, especially if the stone turns out to be eye-clean anyway.

For settings, that's exactly what I wanted to hear about DK. I know you get what you pay for, and want a reasonable price for very good quality. Everything I've seen in B&M stores were either cheap-looking and overpriced, or decent looking and VERY expensive!

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
WF and HPD is simple. Spend the same or more money and get full credit of the original purchase. I think VC is the same. BGD doesn't restrict dollars but requires you to upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: clarity, color or carat weight.
You're so right, she's very young. While the thinks she will have this ring "forever," well......you know how us women get! For some reason, BGD speaks to me more with their stones. I think its their Cape diamonds that pull me in, but I would never upgrade color! WF might be a better fit for her upgrade needs in the future. Didn't you get a BGD for your ring?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Ignore the stone but I saw this setting and thought of this thread. The inside of the twist has some cool texturing. Just an example of a band without diamonds holding its own.

From Alternative Lapidaries

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191016-092107_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20191016-092107_Instagram.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 34

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Ignore the stone but I saw this setting and thought of this thread. The inside of the twist has some cool texturing. Just an example of a band without diamonds holding its own.

From Alternative Lapidaries
Cool ring, looks like the medical caduceus symbol. I think life would be easier if she did a solid metal band for the engagement ring, then stacked wedding rings as she saw fit. Time will tell!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 8.25.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 8.25.33 PM.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 117

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
not exactly what you’re looking for, but thought I’d throw it out for consideration. Setting is Gabriel & Co purchased last year (along with the center diamond) from IDJ. I think the setting was around $1600, and it’s nice quality for the price. 14k Rose gold and a whopping 12mm across. Center diamond is 1.2 ct, K with SBF

73D12674-960E-40F1-A101-8622297ED1D0.jpeg

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
A
not exactly what you’re looking for, but thought I’d throw it out for consideration. Setting is Gabriel & Co purchased last year (along with the center diamond) from IDJ. I think the setting was around $1600, and it’s nice quality for the price. 14k Rose gold and a whopping 12mm across. Center diamond is 1.2 ct, K with SBF

73D12674-960E-40F1-A101-8622297ED1D0.jpeg
@Miss Marple That ring is LOVELY :kiss2: Is this yours?? Wow I would have guessed the setting to cost more than $1600!

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Ring is my mom’s. Being modeled by my DD. btw, my impression is that, if you work directly with somebody at IDJ, their quoted prices on stock settings are about 20-25% lower than the list price on their website. Would highly recommend IDJ. They were very easy to work with and they have earned their reputation for finding nice diamonds on a budget.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
A few more photos camera tends to pick up more yellow in certain lighting than I typically see in person . From the top, the K colored stone looks fairly white—especially against the rose gold C9F8C5C9-F6E8-4E7F-B550-B734E8FA5201.jpeg 3CC5633D-5573-47F9-A25B-08B256D2EF51.jpeg 174385F3-83D2-434F-94DE-BD20CFE5ADCA.jpeg A117D659-7007-4487-897D-BC5AFA20AFC7.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think old cuts look best in lower colors, so I would recommend sticking with no lower than K if she really wants a modern round. I personally would be hesitant to go with any white gold alloy that wasn't pure white, because all her other jewelry will show a contrast whether white or yellow gold if you go with an unplated slightly yellow metal. I'd either go with yellow gold or platinum (if she doesn't like rg).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results