carat
color
clarity

"Unorthodox" is an excellent miniseries, now streaming on Netflix

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Wiki:

Unorthodox is a German-American dramaweb television miniseries that debuted on Netflix on 26 March 2020. The first Netflix series to be primarily in Yiddish, it is inspired by Deborah Feldman's 2012 autobiography, Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots. The series garnered eight Primetime Emmy Award nominations, including Outstanding Limited Series, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series(Shira Haas), and Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series (Anna Winger), winning for Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series(Maria Schrader).

Esty, a 19-year-old Jewish woman, is living unhappily in an arranged marriage among an ultra-Orthodox community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York City.[1] She runs away to Berlin, where her estranged mother lives, and tries to navigate a secular life, discovering life outside her community and rejecting all of the beliefs she grew up with.[2] Her husband, who learns that she is pregnant, travels to Berlin with his cousin, by order of their rabbi, to try to find her.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a great series. The actress who plays Esty is terrific. I loved it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only slightly off on a tangent but on the news did you see the New York city wedding with 7000 people crammed in with no masks?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only slightly off on a tangent but on the news did you see the New York city wedding with 7000 people crammed in with no masks?

Back in the early stages of the pandemic I recall something about that.
IIRC it was in Williamsburg, a neighborhood with a large Utra-Orthodox-Jewish community.
Williamsburg is part of the Brooklyn, which is part of NYC.
This is where the woman in this film lived, and from where she escaped.

10+ yrs ago I spent two weeks visiting a dear friend in Williamsburg.
On the sidewalks were many men wearing those strikingly beautiful $4,000 shtreimel hats - very wide cylinders covered with the most precious hairs on earth, mink, or hairs from the tips of the tails of sables/martins from Norther Russia.
Incidentally they're the same precious hairs that the English company Winsor & Newton use to make the highest quality Series 7 watercolor brushes.
I have 14 of them (the brushes not the hats) and understand a bout the quality of these hairs.

This is an extremely insular group.
They pay little attention to those outside their 'world', the term Esty's husband used in the film.
No newspapers/TV/radio/Internet connections - especially for the women.
Hence, Covid 19 ran rampant in their community, I suspect they were a big reason C19 exploded in NYC more quickly than in other major American cities.

In their world women are seen as baby machines.:nono:
Men have all the power.

Thank glob this strong intelligent woman, and her mother, escaped.
And thank glob the daughter became a writer and wrote the book that told their story, which is what this miniseries is based on.

Anyone who gives a crap about the oppression of woman should see this.
It's even more important that those who don't give a crap, about the oppression of woman, see it too.

BTW, this thread is dedicated to that PS member who accused me of "mansplaining".

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a great series. The actress who plays Esty is terrific. I loved it.

Agreed, Shira Haas is an exceptional talent.
I just started my second viewing of the miniseries.

I don't think I'm stupid, but I am very bad at catching and absorbing details in films and weaving them together - especially subtitled films.
It's very frustrating that so much just goes over my head.
I often rewind to hear the dialog 2 or 3 times, or pause the film and open a new window to look up an unfamiliar word, person, idea, or location.

When I care enough about the material, I'll watch the whole thing a second time.
Upon the second viewing frustration is replaced with understanding and satisfaction.
I envy those who pick up everything on their first and only viewing.

I'm sure I'll watch this a few more times before I croak.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I saw this series a few months ago and we enjoyed it. They are Hasidic Jews which are very different than all the other Jewish denominations.

I learned a lot. It opened my eyes to the Ultra Orthodox community. I don't know any Hasidic people IRL. I have friends who are Orthodox but not to the extent this community is. Modern Orthodox vs. Ultra Orthodox (Hasidic). There are so many different groups of Judaism and all of them completely different.

The Ultra Orthodox are extreme in their religious beliefs and practice extreme seclusion from those who are not ultra orthodox. They are not open to the outside community - anyone who doesn't belong to Hasidism.

FYI:

"
Jews vary dramatically in their approach to Jewish traditions, laws and ritual observance. In the United States, the major religious streams of Judaism are Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Reconstructionist. The Orthodox population is itself quite diverse, with numerous subgroups, such as ultra-Orthodox or haredi Orthodox (a group that includes Hasidic Jews), centrist Orthodox and Modern Orthodox. Many Jews do not identify with any one denomination, instead describing themselves as “nondenominational,” “transdenominational,” “post-denominational” or “just Jewish.”
"

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We enjoyed this series as well. Very interesting story and lives indeed.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
I watched this and couldn’t get through all the parts, because of the intense pain I felt for Esty. The series is well executed and really pulled at my heartstrings. I literally sobbed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched this and couldn’t get through all the parts, because of the intense pain I felt for Esty. The series is well executed and really pulled at my heartstrings. I literally sobbed.

Me too! I mean I cried as well. I did watch the whole series but it was hard at times. I won’t give anything away for those who haven’t yet watched it. I’d love a follow up to see how she is doing now.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
My DH and I saw this series a few months ago and we enjoyed it. They are Hasidic Jews which are very different than all the other Jewish denominations.

I learned a lot. It opened my eyes to the Ultra Orthodox community. I don't know any Hasidic people IRL. I have friends who are Orthodox but not to the extent this community is. Modern Orthodox vs. Ultra Orthodox (Hasidic). There are so many different groups of Judaism and all of them completely different.

The Ultra Orthodox are extreme in their religious beliefs and practice extreme seclusion from those who are not ultra orthodox. They are not open to the outside community - anyone who doesn't belong to Hasidism.

FYI:

"
Jews vary dramatically in their approach to Jewish traditions, laws and ritual observance. In the United States, the major religious streams of Judaism are Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Reconstructionist. The Orthodox population is itself quite diverse, with numerous subgroups, such as ultra-Orthodox or haredi Orthodox (a group that includes Hasidic Jews), centrist Orthodox and Modern Orthodox. Many Jews do not identify with any one denomination, instead describing themselves as “nondenominational,” “transdenominational,” “post-denominational” or “just Jewish.”
"

Well put. One comment, I feel like the series title ‘unorthodox’ does not represent well because very many orthodox people are not part of these hassidic groups. I know some religious orthodox people who actually openly identify as anti hasidic.
They directed me to this article because I expressed interest in finding out more.

Also, here is a link to an article about the woman the series is based on. I feel so bad for her :( I feel like crying just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Kya

Shiny_Rock
Back in the early stages of the pandemic I recall something about that.
IIRC it was in Williamsburg, a neighborhood with a large Utra-Orthodox-Jewish community.
Williamsburg is part of the Brooklyn, which is part of NYC.
This is where the woman in this film lived, and from where she escaped.

10+ yrs ago I spent two weeks visiting a dear friend in Williamsburg.
On the sidewalks were many men wearing those strikingly beautiful $4,000 shtreimel hats - very wide cylinders covered with the most precious hairs on earth, mink, or hairs from the tips of the tails of sables/martins from Norther Russia.
Incidentally they're the same precious hairs that the English company Winsor & Newton use to make the highest quality Series 7 watercolor brushes.
I have 14 of them (the brushes not the hats) and understand a bout the quality of these hairs.

This is an extremely insular group.
They pay little attention to those outside their 'world', the term Esty's husband used in the film.
No newspapers/TV/radio/Internet connections - especially for the women.
Hence, Covid 19 ran rampant in their community, I suspect they were a big reason C19 exploded in NYC more quickly than in other major American cities.

In their world women are seen as baby machines.:nono:
Men have all the power.

Thank glob this strong intelligent woman, and her mother, escaped.
And thank glob the daughter became a writer and wrote the book that told their story, which is what this miniseries is based on.

Anyone who gives a crap about the oppression of woman should see this.
It's even more important that those who don't give a crap, about the oppression of woman, see it too.

BTW, this thread is dedicated to that PS member who accused me of "mansplaining".

On a tangent, can I ask you if those paintbrushes are worth the money?

(you had me laughing with that tidbit of info . But actually I paint and never heard of those brushes)

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Completely agree that the leading actress was phenomenal.

For anyone interested in similar material, this is a great podcast about the friendship between a punk musician and a Hasidic man in Williamsburg.

filigreenyc

Rough_Rock
It's a wonderful series - I read the book it is based on after watching the show, and enjoyed noticing how the show writers altered the real life events to be more cinematic and thrilling. Deborah Feldman is so inspiring, relatable, and brave.

I lived in Williamsburg for the first few years I was in NYC, and despite seeing Hasidic people every day, the show and the book taught me so much more about this unique culture.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

FYI:

"
"

Well said description Missy. As someone who is Jewish myself but I consider myself non-religious but still very much identify as Jewish, there are so many variations within Judaism. My mother grew up closer to Orthodox in NYC and raised my siblings and me to be reform. My mother had close contact with the Hasidic community but was not part of it. I know she and my grandmother described them as almost cult like. They were disdainful of them because they said that they raised women to simply be baby makers and not use their brains. My grandmother was adamant that my mother go to college (and she did, first generation) So watching this series with what my grandmother and mother told me growing up was really interesting. And a lot of what they told me turned out from the series to be spot on actually.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a tangent, can I ask you if those paintbrushes are worth the money?

(you had me laughing with that tidbit of info . But actually I paint and never heard of those brushes)

Yes, to me.

Transparent watercolor is a very difficult medium, especially if you paint photo-realistically as I do.
Controlling exactly how the water and paint get onto the paper is essential.
W&N Series 7 does that best.

Reactions: Kya

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well put. One comment, I feel like the series title ‘unorthodox’ does not represent well because very many orthodox people are not part of these hassidic groups. I know some religious orthodox people who actually openly identify as anti hasidic.

I respect your opinion, but don't share it.

If this was a documentary on Judaism itslef I might agree.
But it's not; it's a drama based on a true story.

If viewers paint with an unfairly wide brush that's on them.

So likewise, every drama about a white individual, an Asian person, gay person, christian, atheist, an old person a woman, or a man needs a disclaimer stating this doesn't apply to every white individual, an Asian person, gay person, christian, atheist, an old person a woman, or a man?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I watched it this summer (as well as a few other shows that were recommended because of this film) and it was very good.

Reactions: Kya

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw this over the summer and it is one of the best shows ever on television! The actress who played Etsy is phenomenal. When I lived in NJ my neighbors were like this. It’s been 34 years but it all came back to me.

Reactions: caf
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results