shape
carat
color
clarity

Unmarked Sapphire Ring From Sri Lanka

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows about sapphires bought abroad. I am watching a gold & sapphire ring online. The information was very basic so emailed the seller, asking what the gold carat and markings were. She emailed back saying that there are no hallmarks and the ring was bought in Sri Lanka.

But surely Sri Lanka has a proper hallmarking system in place? The sapphires very blue (almost royal blue) and the ring has a pleasant shape so am tempted by it anyway. Is there any chance that it could be good quality? My usual jeweller, who gives me advice, is closed, so I won't be able to have it checked out if I buy it.

Seller doesn't have much feedback, but all positive, and has a history of selling gold and silver rings at affordable prices - the kind of 9ct gold rings that go for £30 - they all look horrid. So this sapphire ring would be the only nice exception in her stock. Probably not a good sign!

Thank you!

Sapphire.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s not too expensive, I’d take a chance on it.
Like if it’s $200 or under.
I would ask the seller if all the sapphires are tight in their setting and if any sapphires have any chips on them.
Is there a return policy?
It could be base metal, most sellers would at least acid test their pieces because if they can say it’s gold they can ask more. If it’s on eBay and a private seller they aren’t likely to test for gold content.
The ring may well have been resized, losing the hallmark.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Bron!
Yes, the ring is well under $200. So do you think it would be worth far more than that, if it turns out to be real gold and sapphire, or would it just be worth what I paid for it?

I prefer buying higher quality pieces that retain their value, and usually go for antique/vintage pieces, but found this browsing the net while bored and love the colour.

Thanks again,

L

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t hold out huge hope at this thing being worth a ton more than what you purchase it for. I suspect it’ll be worth about what you pay for it.

The main questions I’d want to know is why the seller thinks it’s gold and why the seller thinks it’s sapphire, and if they can stand by those identifications. If they don’t really know, can’t guarantee it, and can’t accept returns, then I’d only move forward if I’d be comfortable never seeing the money I put into it.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Jack. Decided not to buy it. I prefer buying really nice jewellery that's more expensive, but in between good purchases I get tempted by cheaper stuff like this - often I end up reselling it as I'm disappointed!
Would love a sapphire as most of my jewellery has green, purple or red stones, but will save up for something I really like.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, good to know. I used to have a Sri Lankan colleague who said the same, that the gold is sometimes not hallmarked. So glad I didn't buy this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results