shape
carat
color
clarity

Unity Candles for Garden/Outside Ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
My FI and I were thinking of having Unity candles as part of the ceremony. The only problem is that we are having an garden ceremony in the open, no gazebo or tents or anything (in Barbados). I'm thinking that the Unity candles might blow out, especially since the islands tends to be fairly breezy. Has anyone ever done/seen Unity candles at an outside wedding? Did it work?

I also heard of an alternative called the Unity sand ceremony, where two different colours/types of sand is poured into vases, to symbolize oneness. You can then keep the jar with the blended sand as a decorative item for your home. That might be a good idea too.

Can Unity Candles be done at the reception instead of the ceremony?
33.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did it at an outdoor ceremony. Two words for ya.....hurricane glass.

Otherwise, you will be battling the breezes and it ain''t pretty.
2.gif
Particularly if your candle symbolizing your new union keeps blowing OUT.
40.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Good idea! I can just imagine how embarrasing it would be if the candles kept going out!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I love Barbados! What a beautiful setting!

We''re having a beach wedding and doing a water ceremony. My FI wanted a unity ceremony, but we knew candles wouldn''t be a very logical option considering the breeze on the beach. We had an option of sand and water and FI chose water, so water it is!

I think you can also use colored sand or colored water, so when they are combined they turn a different color (yellow + blue = green), but we''re not using any color.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve also heard of this being done with wine. You start with one white and one red, and end up with a blush mixture. Not sure what the etiquette is on drinking it afterwards....
2.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Hmm.. I didn''t know there were so many options besides the unity candles. Never heard of those before tonight. I''m leaning towards the sand, since there''s plenty of it where I come from, and the fact that we can keep it as decoration after the wedding.

Thanks!

Aim_Turbo

Rough_Rock
We''re doing a sand ceremony for our wedding and actually including the mothers in it (they both have their own jar of sand which they pour into one signifying the joining of two families). our wedding is an outdoor garden party affair as well. I also love the idea of the mothers being involved as they usually are a little left out for the ceremony and speeches part.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2007 10:05:53 AM
Author: Aim_Turbo
We''re doing a sand ceremony for our wedding and actually including the mothers in it (they both have their own jar of sand which they pour into one signifying the joining of two families). our wedding is an outdoor garden party affair as well. I also love the idea of the mothers being involved as they usually are a little left out for the ceremony and speeches part.
That''s a great idea Aim!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s an interesting addition. I like the symbolism of it - joining two families as one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results