carat
color
clarity

United Airlines Employee Allegedly Steals $130K in Jewelry

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Fess up! :naughty: Was there a PSer on this flight? :wavey:

United Airlines Employee Allegedly Steals $130K in Jewelry From Passenger
http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-air...eals-130k-jewelry-passenger/story?id=41773004

A United Airlines employee allegedly stole $130,000 worth of jewelry from a passenger's bag earlier this month at Denver International Airport, according to the Denver District Attorney's office.

Rafael Magana, 42 of Commerce City, Colorado, has been charged with one count of felony theft.

The jewelry included a $35,000 pair of diamond earrings and a "pearl encrusted bracelet," also valued at $35,000, according to the Denver police search warrant.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: United Airlines Employee Allegedly Steals $130K in Jewel

That is terrible! I always wear or carry with me in my purse.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

redwood66|1472913818|4072884 said:

Thank goodness she noticed it right away. It's such a terrible feeling to lose jewelry!

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

redwood66 said:
Be careful with things in your purse.

I had a TSA agent look in my purse, reach in with both hands, and palm a ring he took out of my traveling jewelry case. I didn't realize he'd done it until later.

Fortunately it was not a very expensive ring. About $700. But it was one of my favorites, scattered diamonds in a multi Row design.

It was in Denver, too.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's sad that people can't be trusted. For peace of mind, it's better to leave the valuables in a safe deposit box and only travel with things that can be easily replaced.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

Madam Bijoux said:
It's sad that people can't be trusted. For peace of mind, it's better to leave the valuables in a safe deposit box and only travel with things that can be easily replaced.
True, but sometimes one must. E. G. I wouldn't go to a wedding without taking some nice jewelry.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I travel, I wear all my jewelry. I try to pick "mix and match" stuff, so when I wear it all at once, it looks OK.
Besides, multiple strands of pearls and stacked bracelets look great together.
I don't feel comfortable separated from my jewelry. I don't like it to be in my luggage, or even in my purse.
I have some cute travel jewelry cases, but I just cant bring myself to use them!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well I will not be going to Denver airport any time soon that is for sure.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't take my jewelry off when going through the X ray machine.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband didn't know you could wear metal jewelry through the detector. He took off his brand new wedding band and put it loose in the plastic tray for the conveyer belt scanner.

I could've killed him.

What is the best way to carry jewelry through if you aren't wearing it? Like if you only have two piercings but you're carrying 5 earring sets for whatever reason? Are you allowed to carry a small jewel pouch, and say, "I need to walk through with this, you may hand inspect it in my presence?"

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

madelise said:
What is the best way to carry jewelry through if you aren't wearing it? Like if you only have two piercings but you're carrying 5 earring sets for whatever reason? Are you allowed to carry a small jewel pouch, and say, "I need to walk through with this, you may hand inspect it in my presence?"

You can try that, but if they want to be jerks, they're allowed to be.

Best thing I've found is signing up for Pre Check or Global Entry. Haven't had a bag searched since.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

madelise|1472992496|4073132 said:
My husband didn't know you could wear metal jewelry through the detector. He took off his brand new wedding band and put it loose in the plastic tray for the conveyer belt scanner.

I could've killed him.

Put it into a jewelry case/pouch then into your carry on and let it run through the conveyer belt scanner. I would never put anything valuable in the plastic tray.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I do what DF suggests but go one step further. I put the jewellery I can't wear into a jewellery roll and then put it inside a small purse which I then put inside a zippered section of my carry on. The carry on goes through the x-ray conveyer. Only once did I get told to remove a bracelet, which I thought was strange considering they let me keep my watch on. I put the bracelet into a zippered pocket in my purse. The minute it came through the conveyer I checked to make sure it was still there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results