shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique: compliment or slight?

Unique: compliment or slight?

• I don''t know/care, show me the friggin results!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Slight/Insult

• I could never answer, it depends entirely on the context, who it''s coming from and the way they say

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:42:16 PM
Author: ladypirate
As an aside, my favorite compliment/insult is definitely ''Hey, nice face!'' Cracks me up every time.
3.gif
I''ve never heard that before, I like it!!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unique =
14.gif
innocentwhistle.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:51:21 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
unique =
14.gif
innocentwhistle.gif
Well then, DFire, it''s certainly good to know where you stand
2.gif
3.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
unique =
14.gif
innocentwhistle.gif
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:17:27 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 7:03:41 PM
Author: musey
unique =
14.gif
innocentwhistle.gif
Well then, DFire, it''s certainly good to know where you stand
2.gif
3.gif
why lie ?
16.gif

here are some ''very unique'' rings.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unique-and-unusual-post-them-here.18524/
To be fair, that thread used to be titled "The Good, the Bad and the UGLY... Post the UGLY here!" and they changed it to "unique and unusual" to give the thread a more positive connotation...
2.gif

I agree, why lie? Why post and say something is "unique" when you really mean "ugly?" Because it really hurts the poor word''s reputation when many of us thought it was a GOOD thing!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I said I don't care/just show results, but I meant to say the one about context! On Pricescope it's great that we have the option of not commenting on a ring that we think is ugly (lol), so when I do say unique, it's because the ring truely is a new design and worth noting its character and beauty.

When I say it to people in real life, I mean it's very cool and different. Who knows what other people read that as. Surely, I've unintentionally offended people!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Tee hee... I just saw this thread!

I turned to my fiance and said, "Sweetie, you''re so unique!" And he replied, "Are you calling me fat?"

And then he thought about it for another minute and said, "You mean I''m ''unique'' in a cute way, right?" I guess it was something in my tone that made him wonder!
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:32:42 PM
Author: TheBigT
Tee hee... I just saw this thread!

I turned to my fiance and said, ''Sweetie, you''re so unique!'' And he replied, ''Are you calling me fat?''

And then he thought about it for another minute and said, ''You mean I''m ''unique'' in a cute way, right?'' I guess it was something in my tone that made him wonder!
9.gif
Hahahahahaha!!!! You''re full of fun stuff today TheBigT!!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I voted depends on the context, I mean it as a compliment for instance I saw a beautiful antique diamond ring today that was unique and OMG I wanted it
30.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s hard to judge by context alone. This is a situation where actions speak louder than words (on AND offline). If someone is a snarky, kind of obnoxious person on a regular basis and they use a term like "unique", then I would assume they''re being snarky and obnoxious and it''s a passive aggressive insult. If the person is happy go-lucky and I''m friends with them, then I would take unique to be a true (positive) comment.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I think if I hear...hmm that''s interesting then I know it''s not good. Unique (depending on the tone and context) would be good (to me)

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Unique = different but probably good

Quirky = different and a diplomatic way of avoiding "dude, you''re weird"

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never used the word unique to describe anything in a derogatory manner. I use it when someone has a ''different than usual'' setting or stone, causing their piece of jewelry to be one-of-a-kind. More or less.

I have used the word to describe rings that I might not personally want; however that doesn''t mean I cannot appreciate someone else''s tastes just because they don''t match my own.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In real life, it depends on context and tone.

On the internet I only write it if I mean it as a compliment.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:58:34 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Unique = different but probably good
Quirky = different and a diplomatic way of avoiding ''dude, you''re weird''

This gave me a SERIOUS giggle. Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results