shape
carat
color
clarity

Unexpected job opportunity, I like current one but....

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So exciting! Wishing you all the best!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah - I hate new jobs. It's exhausting having to make a good first impression all the time :lol: I find that after about a month it feels like I've been there forever though, in a good way, so I just tell myself the first month is just about survival and it will be OK.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contemplating leaving where I am at when I am perfectly happy there seems strange

Are you still perfectly happy knowing you will get paid more, better benefits, a retirement match, and double vacation time at another company that appears to REALLY want you? And, if you plan to retire in about 20 years do the math on the raise and retirement match and see how much you are leaving on the table if you stay.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent points @kgizo. It isn't all about the money, but considering that they are offering so much more in addition to what is (by reputation on multiple accounts ranging from former employees to clients) an equally good work environment... no, no I would not be as happy where I am at.

Ignornace is bliss! Sadly, the ignorance is gone. It feels strange to be transitioning again, but dare I say that a small bud of excitement is creeping in?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would share an update for those who were so kind to offer their thoughts, advice, and encouragement!

My two working interviews went well, and I have accepted the new position. We have had several frank discussions on multiple fronts and are both confident we have a solid understanding of one another and how my role ties in to the overall practice. There will always be a learning curve, but this will hopefully be the easiest to manage as we share the same communication style and understanding in regards to feedback. I thrive best with exceptionally clear expectations and the ability to measure progress while meeting those.

As for submitting my resignation, it went over about as well as I expected. There was a small amount of guilt tripping, along with a complete lack of understanding as to how anyone could possibly want to leave if there wasn't a problem. The exit interview took less than 5 minutes, I explained that I was recruited, I had not been seeking employment elsewhere, and I was only leaving due to better pay and benefits. I was asked to elaborate on what those benefits were, and after I did the repsonse was along the lines of "Well, I have no idea how they afford to offer that".

There is a small part of me that is sad no counter offer was made, but at the same time I knew there would not be, and even if there was, it would not have been enough to get me to stay. Once I make up my mind, it's done.

I did supply the contact information for a potential replacement, and one of my coworkers knows someone in the field that is moving back to our area who is well qualified. Finding my replacement will not be too terribly difficult, and I offered to speak with anyone interviewing to give positive feedback about the office and position.

Thank you again to all who have come along this journey with me.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would share an update for those who were so kind to offer their thoughts, advice, and encouragement!

My two working interviews went well, and I have accepted the new position. We have had several frank discussions on multiple fronts and are both confident we have a solid understanding of one another and how my role ties in to the overall practice. There will always be a learning curve, but this will hopefully be the easiest to manage as we share the same communication style and understanding in regards to feedback. I thrive best with exceptionally clear expectations and the ability to measure progress while meeting those.

As for submitting my resignation, it went over about as well as I expected. There was a small amount of guilt tripping, along with a complete lack of understanding as to how anyone could possibly want to leave if there wasn't a problem. The exit interview took less than 5 minutes, I explained that I was recruited, I had not been seeking employment elsewhere, and I was only leaving due to better pay and benefits. I was asked to elaborate on what those benefits were, and after I did the repsonse was along the lines of "Well, I have no idea how they afford to offer that".

There is a small part of me that is sad no counter offer was made, but at the same time I knew there would not be, and even if there was, it would not have been enough to get me to stay. Once I make up my mind, it's done.

I did supply the contact information for a potential replacement, and one of my coworkers knows someone in the field that is moving back to our area who is well qualified. Finding my replacement will not be too terribly difficult, and I offered to speak with anyone interviewing to give positive feedback about the office and position.

So happy for you! Do you feel like you made the right choice? It sounds like you did. That must make you feel sad that they didn't counter offer... but even better reason you're moving on to other things :)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
So happy for you! Do you feel like you made the right choice? It sounds like you did. That must make you feel sad that they didn't counter offer... but even better reason you're moving on to other things :)

I did make the right choice. Yes, I am sad about the lack of counter offer. Not because it would have given me a reason to stay, but because it would have made me feel like they do value me as much as they claim to.

I did have to bite my tongue a little at the "not sure how they afford to offer those benefits" bit, as I have a rough idea of how much take home pay the owner gets and similar benefits could easily be offered if they were willing to take home 10-15% less.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did make the right choice. Yes, I am sad about the lack of counter offer. Not because it would have given me a reason to stay, but because it would have made me feel like they do value me as much as they claim to..

I'm sure they do value you but realized that they couldn't match the offer you have.

I never try to talk anyone out of leaving a job unless I truly think they are leaving for the wrong reasons and/or I can do something to that would make a difference. On a similar note, I've been asked if there was anything that they could do to get me to stay and while it was tempting to see what they would offer, I told them "no". I wasn't going to stay and it's better to leave on good terms.

Congratulations and best of luck on your new adventure!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was given good advice by a senior colleague when I was a junior employee, with naive ideas about loyalty:

They would drop you in a hot second if you didn't fit into their plans any more. Always put yourself first in your career, because your employer isn't going to.

He said it's often women who stay out of loyalty and then feel betrayed when their employer screws them over (often around pay and career progression).

Also, a workplace culture and team can change faster than you think. It only takes one or two people to leave / join. Don't stay in a job purely because you like your colleagues. That's a bonus, but look at the hard facts like pay, benefits, commuting time, job security etc.

You're doing nothing wrong. I venture to guess this wouldn't even be a dilemma for a man. Re-read your OP - you've given ten good reasons to leave and zero to stay :devil:

Also: read Nice Girls Don't Get The Corner Office.

(Saddly) post of the week for me

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is great news
Good luck and remember to tell us a month into your new job how much you are enjoying it =)2

BrayLenki

Rough_Rock
Trade
Your story reminds me of a similar experience I had a while back. I was content in my job, but then this unexpected opportunity came knocking. It was like the universe was saying, "Hey, here's something even better!"I think it's totally normal to feel torn in situations like this. Change can be scary, even when it's exciting. But from what you've shared, it sounds like this new job really aligns with what you value, like those retirement benefits and the supportive culture. Plus, the fact that they're eager to invest in your growth and value your input speaks volumes about the kind of environment they offer.Ultimately, only you can decide what's best for you and your career. But it sounds like this new opportunity could be a fantastic next step. Sometimes, taking a leap of faith leads to the most rewarding experiences. Trust your instincts, weigh your options, and remember that recruiting services can often bring hidden gems like this one into our lives.

Last edited:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I did make the right choice. Yes, I am sad about the lack of counter offer. Not because it would have given me a reason to stay, but because it would have made me feel like they do value me as much as they claim to.

If they valued you as much as they claim, they would have been rewarding you long before your resignation. Since you have a pretty good idea of what the higher ups make, you know that they were paying you as little as you would put up with.

Congratulations on your new opportunity and putting your financial advancement first!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Everybody, this is a years-old post that someone revived to advertise with a link purportedly to their recruitment agency. (Maybe a bot? Sounds like AI writing to me.) @vintageinjune made up her mind long, long ago. I suggest everybody ignore that post and refrain from clicking.

VintageinJune, how do you feel about the job now? Did it live up to expectations?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results