shape
carat
color
clarity

Uneven Band Please Help!

takingbackallie

Rough_Rock
I don't know a THING about jewelry so please correct me if I am wrong, but there is something about the back of my ring that drives me crazy. It seems uneven and there is almost a slight bump in the band. I had it resized and asked the jeweler to remove some bumpiness in the shank but it still doesn't look right to me. Am I being obsessive or does anyone else notice these imperfections? It's really hard to get a good picture but I tried! Any input would be so greatly appreciated.
Ring 3.jpg Ring 2.jpg Ring 1.jpg

gerryb92

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to understand the issue - if you're looking at photo 2 are you saying that the left and right hand side of the lower half of the band are uneven? Or that the bottom half and top half are uneven?

It's hard to tell where the bump is you refer to as well - have you had the ring resized? If so, likely it could be from that in my opinion? I'm not very knowledgeable in this area either just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I can see the uneveness.. It will bother me like crazy!

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I can see the bottom shank is thinner. It should not be like that especially since that is one of the part that gets wear by touching on doors, counters etc.

Edit: I don’t see a bump per se but definitely see it is misshapen.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
like the others, I don't see any bump. The second photo does make the bottom of the shank look uneven, but I don't see that as much in the other photos. The second photo seems to have some reflection on the bottom and that makes it difficult for me to tell if it is lighting or that the bottom is really of uneven size.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re-sizing is done poorly.

DeeDee Gemologist

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi there,
Honestly, the shape should not matter too much. The most important thing is how well it fits and if everything is secure. Like some of the other comments highlighted, the bottom of the shank is the place most likely to wear down naturally over the years with normal wear. So you dont want a situation where that is super thin because it means the ring could break and fall off your finger. This doesnt appear to be dangerously thin so that is super important.

Then the question is one of comfort. Our fingers are not always perfectly round so it could be that your finger has formed the ring this way over the years to naturally fit the contour of your finger. Is it still comfy for you? Or is it sliding around and ending up on its side during the course of the day? If that is the case then the jeweler should resize it and possibly put a couple sizing balls in there as well.

Hope this helps with the issue. Please give us an update when you can.
DeeDee Diamonds Gemologist
:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results