shape
carat
color
clarity

Underlying UTI??

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had UTI''s in the past, but not recently. Lately, I''ve had to "go" a bit more than usual, can''t tell that I''m emptying my bladder. And usually feel like I still have to go after I''ve gone. However, usually when I''ve had a UTI, it''s been PAINFUL. I''ve felt rundown and tired lately- can you have a painless UTI?

i''d rather treat it naturally on my own first if it might be one. i just hate going on an antibiotic for EVERYTHING. i''ve heard of cranberry- any recommendations or other tips?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
charbie i don''t share this with that many people (HELLO INTERNET) but i have a somewhat overactive bladder, i''ve been on meds for it in the past, but basically it feels like you have to go but you don''t--however you don''t have the pain associated with a UTI.

i used to go and get urinte tests done all the time thinking i had a UTI and then it would be no bacteria present. eventually i was diagnosed.

also, if my memory is not total crap, i think you might have had a pregnancy loss recently? i wonder if the hormones could somehow be messing with you a little bit.... hormones have something to do with the bladder, because when i was preggo my symptoms COMPLETELY went away which was ironic since you should pee/feel like you have to pee MORE when preggo. my OB said that was not uncommon at all and said it was hormone related.

anyway, maybe see your OB and/or ask for a urine test to be done for UTI. that will at least give you more info re: if there is no bacteria then it might be something else. and i also would hate to go on antibiotics if it wasn''t a UTI because it''ll just mess with your flora anyway.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
mara: sorry you''ve got the overactive bladder! my husband has it as well...and was on meds for it. we would joke because the commercials for the meds they put him on advertised it for females.

since i work in the health field, i asked one of my nurses what she thought, and right behind us was our nurse practioner. she suggested they just test my urine there (convenient! didn''t even know they could!) so they are testing it now. i almost hope it does come back that its just a simple UTI and i can take care of it (the NP will just either make a suggestion for me or write a script while she''s here). otherwise, i''ll take your suggestion and go to the doctor.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Yes you can totally have a painless UTI. I had an asymptomatic UTI for over a year.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Awww, Charbie. I hope you feel better. Get some cranberry juice if you can - it''s supposed to help!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Lately whenever I have had UTI''s they have been extremely painful. However, apparently I had one once and didn''t even know it - and it ended up spreading up to the kidney and gave me a kidney infection. Now THAT is painful. It caused a whole list of health problems after that, one bad thing leading to another thing that''s even worse.

My suggestion would be to drink cranberry juice, but get it checked out anyway. They won''t give you antibiotics if the tests show it''s not a UTI. And from what I''ve been told multiple times by doctors, cranberry juice can help *prevent* a UTI but it cannot treat or get rid of an *already existing* UTI.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be unduly scary and all, but as one who beat the odds GETTING, and maybe beat some odds at catching early and thus surviving bladder cancer intact, and who has a friend who just had a 14mm(!) kidney stone removed (that she didn''t know she had), I would skip the cranberry juice, skip the phone call for reassurance, skip the GP (like the one who told my poor run-down friend for years that she was just prone to UTIs and kidney infections) skip the gyno too, and head straight for a urologist. Get one who takes women seriously. If I had treated MY symptom with any less seriousness, I would either be missing a very important body part, or be dead right now. Do yourself a favor and take this seriously.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow, ksinger. This is why I feel like we have to be our own health advocates. Thanks for sharing & I'm glad you are OK now.

Charbie, I'd definitely get it checked out as soon as you can. In the meantime, cranberry juice can't hurt - but it's not meant to be a substitute for the Dr! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep i used to see a urologist...it''s so fun to be the only woman in a room of older men.
3.gif
they would all stare at me like ''what is SHE doing here''...

charb...kind of the reverse of what you and your hub were saying about all the overactive bladder commercials only showing women!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I was given a referral to a urogynecologist - basically a urologist who specilizes in women''s urinary issues. I never ended up going because I was too scared, but maybe that could be a good option for you. One day I''m sure I''ll end up going (my UTI issues are still recurring and not totally resolved) but I would much prefer to see a doctor who specializes in female bladder and urinary issues rather than a urologist who mainly sees males.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Charbie
If you''ll be TTCing again, then definitely go get it checked out because I am convinced that the asymptomatic UTI is the reason it took us over a year to conceive our first child. I got pregnant the cycle after I cleared the UTI with antibiotics.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you are checking it out. I am pretty freaked out by UTIs/bladder issues since I had a very serious one after I delivered my daughter. I believe it moved to my kidneys. I was REALLY, really sick. Better to find out sooner than later if you need some intervention.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 6:56:55 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Charbie
If you''ll be TTCing again, then definitely go get it checked out because I am convinced that the asymptomatic UTI is the reason it took us over a year to conceive our first child. I got pregnant the cycle after I cleared the UTI with antibiotics.
Good point - I''ve heard/read that untreated UTIs can cause problems when trying to conceive. Truthfully, now that qtiekiki pointed this out, I''m realizing that I should probably get over my fear and just go see that urogynecologist to make sure I don''t have anything that will make conceiving harder when DH and I decide we''re ready.

I really think it''s worth it to just talk to your doctor about this. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 12:25:20 PM
Author:charbie
I've had UTI's in the past, but not recently. Lately, I've had to 'go' a bit more than usual, can't tell that I'm emptying my bladder. And usually feel like I still have to go after I've gone. However, usually when I've had a UTI, it's been PAINFUL. I've felt rundown and tired lately- can you have a painless UTI?

i'd rather treat it naturally on my own first if it might be one. i just hate going on an antibiotic for EVERYTHING. i've heard of cranberry- any recommendations or other tips?
YES! My very first symptom is the feeling of incomplete voiding.

I have been getting UTIs since I was 7 or so. I haven't had one in years now because I proactively prevent (drinking water and peeing, both before and after sex. If I miss even one, I feel the first symptoms of a UTI the very next day) as well as curb it from turning into a full infection as soon as I notice the first sign. I haven't needed antibiotics in 3-4 years now.

Cranberry juice, not concentrate but the real deal. Drink one sip every 5 minutes for 2 days. Lots of water - a glass an hour. Hope your UTI goes away within the next few days with just doing this!

The urine test is really quick. Takes two minutes to do a culture.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that it''s causing you troubles. It''s never a good idea to ignore what seem like ''harmless symptoms'', it''s usually the bodies way of telling you there is something not quite right. I would second the suggestion to see a urogyne and see what could be the problem, especially if you are ttc.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
ok, so i just looked back into this thread bc i had posted a response but apparently it disappeared...

ksinger- i am so sorry for what you went through, but glad to know someone who is a survivor and advocate! this prompts me to make sure i am checked out properly!

i appreciate all the advice from everyone. the "dipstick" was expired, so i don''t have a reading from my quick culture here at work. i''m feeling better today, but still planning on making an appointment to see my doctor and get a check done. if she doesn''t find anything wrong, i''ll ask for another opinion at a urologist. i grew up having chronic UTI''s that i grew out of, and haven''t had another one in a number of years (i was on acne medications that wiped out my system and gave them to me) but i really do appreciate everyone''s concern! and sorry for all who have had UTI''s...they blow.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Charbie - I''d recommend cranberry and a ton of water. You might have one that is in early stages and just is taking longer to develop. I have had a virtually painless one, didn''t realize what it was, and two weeks later BAM. I''ve learned if I feel any kind of symptoms, and I do the cranberry thing, it tends to go away. I''m rather prone to UTI (if TMI well too bad) since a couple of years ago, and again , the cranberry seems to help. I also eat yogurt when I feel it, juuuuust to make sure I don''t end up with a yeast infection (also prone). Part of it is allergy to any kind of scented ... ahem.... lady products... but I think it is partially genetic as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results