shape
carat
color
clarity

UK Psers need help with jeweller reference for a loose diamond to be fit in a setting.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Hi UK Psers...
I have a certified loose diamond that I have acquired sometime back... And I have finally decided on the setting which I would like to fit it in. I plan to get the setting from Ivy and Rose Chicago. I would want to find out a jeweller reference in the UK whom I can send the stone and setting and who can fit it well. I am based near London if that helps. Has anyone done this kind of project before? Would love to hear some inputs, any dos and don'ts etc.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are looking to buy a setting and then take it and your stone to a local jeweller to make them into a ring?

You would need to ask about whether the stone and the setting are fully insured while in the care of the jeweller you choose, as you wouldn't want either of them to be damaged and you to have to pay for it.

Is Ivy and Rose Chicago in Chicago, USA? Could you send the stone to them and have them set it?

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Answered in bold
So you are looking to buy a setting and then take it and your stone to a local jeweller to make them into a ring?
Yes

You would need to ask about whether the stone and the setting are fully insured while in the care of the jeweller you choose, as you wouldn't want either of them to be damaged and you to have to pay for it.

Is Ivy and Rose Chicago in Chicago, USA? Could you send the stone to them and have them set it?
Yeah they are in Chicago. Sending the stone back and forth internationally seems too much a hassle. That's why I think this would be simpler. Looking for answers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rpb,

I haven't actually done this sort of project before, but you could maybe ask in a Mappin and Webb store to see if they'd do it for you, as you are probably aware, they sell many high end brands, so I would expect whoever does their repairs and own brand jewellery should be pretty good.

There's also www.jessicapoole.co.uk who might be well worth a try, looks like she's in London.

Also https://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/diamond-setting-service Harriet Kelsall's in Primrose Hill.

Both design their own pieces but might set yours for you on request.

Also, Tobigem offer stone setting services, they're in Hatton Garden. http://www.tobigem.co.uk/other-services

Another thing you'd need to check is, if whoever sets your stone didn't sell it to you, they might not cover it in case of loss or damage, same with the setting. It didn't use to be possible to insure against that, I'm not sure if that's still the case as things might have changed.

Last edited:

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Thanks a lot Lorelei, this information is really helpful. I will do my due diligence with the jeweller and then decide what would make sense. These options are very helpful. Maybe I will also check locally for the prices of the settings as I intend to get a halo setting done and the ones I have seen here in UK are far more expensive. It would make sense for me to order from US and after all import duties and taxes it would still work out more efficient. Thanks for your inputs.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks a lot Lorelei, this information is really helpful. I will do my due diligence with the jeweller and then decide what would make sense. These options are very helpful. Maybe I will also check locally for the prices of the settings as I intend to get a halo setting done and the ones I have seen here in UK are far more expensive. It would make sense for me to order from US and after all import duties and taxes it would still work out more efficient. Thanks for your inputs.

You're welcome and yes, that's the trouble here for prices.:| One other place you could try is www.bestdiamonds.co.uk I used to know the lady there but she's no longer in the diamond business, however, no harm in asking if they can help you out. They're in the Royal Exchange and it's a lady called Celine who's there now.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Sure will do. Woohoo now I have hope :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Awww thanks Lorelei:wavey:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder why it is that we don’t have more information about good jewellers/designers the likes of David Klass or Victor Canera here in the U.K., is it because the market is so much smaller or maybe people don’t have custom jewellery pieces made? I’d love to have someone reliable, and sensibly priced to do some things for me!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder why it is that we don’t have more information about good jewellers/designers the likes of David Klass or Victor Canera here in the U.K., is it because the market is so much smaller or maybe people don’t have custom jewellery pieces made? I’d love to have someone reliable, and sensibly priced to do some things for me!

I think we're often behind the curve here with jewellery and few even think of custom work or if they do, think it's out of their reach financially, but maybe things are slowly changing.:think:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we're often behind the curve here with jewellery and few even think of custom work or if they do, think it's out of their reach financially, but maybe things are slowly changing.:think:
Hope so!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Me too! Our prices seem to be insanely high comparatively and the flexibility much lower. Whether that’s a function of the low number of people doing custom here and will hopefully reduce over time, who knows.

I went to a couple of places in London a few years ago to get quotes for a custom ring and in one jeweller was offered only 2 centre stone choices, both extremely high colour and clarity, at extremely high prices. No option to call in stones. Needless to say I didn’t go ahead.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! Our prices seem to be insanely high comparatively and the flexibility much lower. Whether that’s a function of the low number of people doing custom here and will hopefully reduce over time, who knows.

I went to a couple of places in London a few years ago to get quotes for a custom ring and in one jeweller was offered only 2 centre stone choices, both extremely high colour and clarity, at extremely high prices. No option to call in stones. Needless to say I didn’t go ahead.

I hear this time and time again, same old high colour and clarity touted as being the only thing to buy, cut refers to shape and that's the end of it.

A friend bought an incredible AVR from Jon, absolutely stunning stone. She wanted an eternity band made, decided to have it done here and all that jeweller could do was pick holes in her beautiful diamond, tried to make her doubt its quality because it was AGS graded and not GIA and he was generally quite unpleasant from what I understand. The thing is, he couldn't have offered her near the size and beauty for the price she paid anyway!

It goes on everywhere of course but it's so unnecessary.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
I guess it's partly due to the added VAT and duties that the prices do get inflated...but unavoidable. Also the real estate prices are so inflated in case of showroom costs etc....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it's partly due to the added VAT and duties that the prices do get inflated...but unavoidable. Also the real estate prices are so inflated in case of showroom costs etc....

Very true and especially in the London area, space is astronomically expensive.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say it's best to get the stone and setting from the same vendor, because in that situation they will usually not charge for setting, and also provide some insurance on the stone (or at least recourse). 2nd best is have the person who you are buying the setting from do the setting work. They may not cover it in case of damage, but at least you have recourse if they do not do a good job setting it or the setting does not fit. Having a jeweler that you neither bought the stone from nor purchased a setting from is the least desirable situation, because, well they may do it, but you are not purchasing anything from them, yet are doing work and have to work with what you are giving them. It's the situation most likely to have problems. I sympathize with the high cost of settings. Are there any esty jewelers who are located in Britain who do good work? They may be more reasonable in cost than a brick and mortar store.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Well I know that it's the least desirable situation but unfortunately there isn't much I can do now. I did try Etsy and all the good ones are in US actually, nothing decent turned up for UK search. It's so limiting. Worst cast I might sell off the diamond and add the funds to save for a super ideal....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My EC reset project involved having a setting custom made by an eBay vendor based in China, using stone measurements from the certificate.

I then took the original ring and with the EC and the new setting and asked a local jeweller with a bench to reset it for me.

It cost me 100 GBP for the reset, and I did not ask about insurance! :roll2:

All turned out fine. I knew the bench beforehand as they fixed a ring that had one of its side stones fallen out and lost. They found another stone that was well-matched and I was pleased with the result and service.

DK :))

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I am hoping to do the same here. I will try asking the jewellers recommended in this thread before buying the setting and see the comfort feel I get. If not, then sell the diamond and save for my dream piece. Some risks are fine in life....

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the setting for my pear solitaire custom made here, sitting with a designer & thrashing ideas out etc, and my friends were literally gob smacked that it even crossed my mind to do this rather than pick something off the peg, as it were. And I still don't know another person here who has ever done anything other than buy a ready made ring from a window. The UK is definitely behind the US in that regard.

Good luck with your setting journey - looking forward to seeing it when it's eventually done!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the setting for my pear solitaire custom made here, sitting with a designer & thrashing ideas out etc, and my friends were literally gob smacked that it even crossed my mind to do this rather than pick something off the peg, as it were. And I still don't know another person here who has ever done anything other than buy a ready made ring from a window. The UK is definitely behind the US in that regard.

Good luck with your setting journey - looking forward to seeing it when it's eventually done!
I'm in the UK and went custom setting, as I wanted a super-low-set diamond solitaire :)

There are various places offering CAD services now, so it does seem to be picking up a bit, but I don't know why one wouldn't want to tailor something so it's personal and one-off!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I was in the Jewellery Quarter we asked at 2 places for custom designs. One place could do semi custom by altering something they already had. They charged as custom which would involve cad (even if it meant swapping the head of a square setting to an EC but keeping the same shoulders. They would not set a stone that wasn't purchased from them.
In the 2nd place that showed me the beautiful spinel, the lady was sketching me some designs on a pad and I think they calso used CAD.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my list gathered over the years from PS members and UK friends. Only 3 :cry2:

Hatton Garden Bespoke Diamond Workshop {excellent bench work, not much input on cost}; https://www.facebook.com/HattonGardenBespokeDiamondJewelleryWorkshop/

Isabella George Jewels. Good bench work. No website as works mostly on referral/recommendation which seems to be the way it works in the uk. Can source OEC diamonds. But can be contacted through [email protected]

Durrants in Hatton Garden. 15 Greville St. Good bench work,.

d89s46

Rough_Rock
Hello following this as I’m trying to find a uk (I’m in manchester) jeweller who can reset my ring. I love the quality of the likes of Cvb and Love Diamonds and Ring Concierge but I can’t find anyone here that is recommends of similar quality. Sending back and forth to US seems risky. (And a faff). Did you manage to find someone @Rpb ? I’ve messaged the three above but they’re at other end of country!

Last edited:

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Hi @d89s46 yes I did manage to find someone but I haven't started on that project yet, he seems reliable and trustworthy and I
Plan to start the project with him once I am ready. His name is Simon and his website is given below...
https://jewelleryrepairworkshop.co.uk

I got my setting from ivy rose in Chicago and they also have an Etsy shop

d89s46

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much! I’ll check him out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results