shape
carat
color
clarity

Uh oh - Proposal dilemma - ringless as of now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hawkwind

Rough_Rock
Here''s the dilemma... I planned to propose to my gf this weekend, but the ring isn''t finished yet. I am taking her to Disney for her Birthday, and made these plans over a month ago, before I ordered the ring. Since we made Disney plans, I thought it would be the perfect time to propose (she absolutely loves Disney).

I already have dinner reservations in Cinderella''s Castle with the whole glass slipper, engraved champagne glasses with minnie/mickey and our names/engagement date engaved on them, and people to get the glasses with bubbly to us in the rose garden (non-alcoholic disney
7.gif
) during the Wishes fireworks display right after I propose...

But - I have yet to receive the ring (I ordered it only 11 days ago). It is a possibility (if all goes perfect in the final steps) that I will have it before we leave.

But if I don''t have the ring, what should I do?

She has been active in the ring selection, and we looked at the center diamond a few weeks ago with rockdoc, so she is expecting that specific ring/diamond. She doesn''t think I am proposing until after Thanksgiving, so it will be a surprise. Should I go to the maul and get a CZ solitaire that could possibly be returned (maybe something with a similar look to the real ring)? Finances are tight due to the ring purchase, this trip, tickets to see our family over Thanksgiving, etc - so if I were to lose $ on a temporary solution, I''d like to keep under $300. My guess is that the worst case is that I have the real ring next week...

Any help?!?! Anyone have a similar problem or know anyone that did?

Thanks so much,
-Hawkwind

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you could propose, wait for an affirmative answer, then pull the ring out of your pocket, and explain it's just a placeholder until the real one is done.

Maybe you could get a fabulous fake done with an Interlap CZ and 14K gold with Wink. She might like having a duplicate for when she travels.

hawkwind

Rough_Rock
You think by Friday, and under $300?

-Hawkwind

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
No I dont think by friday...they say it takes two or so weeks on their web page, and the settings are more then that. I would say either buy her something sweet she can wear on her other hand, and remember and love. Or propose with out the ring. Maybe even buy her a cute silly one like they have for little girls at disney with a mickey mouse head or somethine.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I would just buy her a plain ring (it could be the same metal as her engagement ring or you could switch it up. My 2nd wedding ring is plain yellow gold- ering and normal w-ring are plat- b/c I think yellow gold looks better on me without diamonds) and propose with that. That way she does get a ring at proposal time, but also has a ring that she can travel with or just wear later. Or you could follow Matatora''s suggestion and get her a Disney ring!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
You have gone to a lot of trouble to ensure a special and memorable engagement. Please don''t change your plans. I like the suggestions about buying something cute from Disney as a placeholder, something she can wear on her right hand when the real thing arrives, or a plain band as the other posters suggested. Is there the possibility you could offer the wedding band as a temporary solution? It''s something you will be buying in any event. Have you asked your vendor when you can expect delivery?

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I may be off my rocker and quite silly, but what about getting her a Mickey Mouse ring before the actual ring is ready! It''d be cute since you''re going to Disney. Just tell her that you really wanted to propose in Disney and the ring wasn''t ready yet!

rae

Rough_Rock
Vuittongal - I thought the same thing!

Instead of tying to get a "proper" replacement for the ering, why not go the whole [Disney] hog and get some silly plastic Minnie Mouse ring or something?? She can keep that as a fond momento of the proposal, whereas the real ering can be presented (over a candlelight dinner or something) later on.... the sentiment is still there, and you haven''t tried to substitute the "unsubstitutable" (if that is a word....)
9.gif

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
how about a cz eternity band? That way, she can wear in on her right hand after she gets the real rock.

Good luck and congrats!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or buy a cheap mickey mouse ring when you get there and say the real ring is almost ready.

ETA: or ame could read the other posts first.

hawkwind

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Disney ring idea. I am crossing my fingers that I have the real one on Friday. *hoping*

I think going with a "substitute diamond ring" could be wierd, in that she would have two "engagement (diamond) rings" to choose from, and she may feel very sentimental about the one I used to propose to her, rather than the one that I spent countless hours on researching the best cut, etc. On a day-to-day basis, she may decide that she wants to wear the one I proposed with, because she feels more sentimental about it...

I think the Dinsey ring will have sentimental value as well, but in a different way. She''s not going to think about wearing the Disney ring day-to-day (at least not seriously), but it''ll be a keepsake that''ll mean alot to her.

Thanks again!
-Hawkwind

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait to hear what you end up doing! Keep us posted!

hawkwind

Rough_Rock
I just went to the local disney store for a ring. Guess what - they didn''t carry any rings!?!? This may be harder than when I was looking for the perfect setting for her diamond!

-Hawkwind

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock

hawkwind

Rough_Rock
Ok. The real ring is going to be at a FedEx branch in Orlando on Saturday. I am going to propose Saturday night, with the same plans that I had on Friday.

The last issue is - "how do I sneak out for a half hour during the day at Disney World to get the ring, w/o her suspecting anything?"

I thought of "getting lost" and finding her a half hour later, but I think that may create panic and stress for her. ugh

I know I am not be going to able to get any sleep tonight (our first night there), and have a hard time enjoying myself until I get the ring tomorrow. That is why my original plan was to do it tonight
26.gif

Anyone have any sneaky ideas? I am the director of software engineering for a software firm, so I was thinking of pulling something like having a co-worker call me... and for me to say to her, "we have an emergency in the office, and I have to go to Kinkos to use their internet to fix it", but she may see right through that....

-Hawkwind

hawkwind

Rough_Rock
I just booked an hour spa treatment. I hope it works
1.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
The spa idea is great. You may want to book more than an hour - by the time you get to your car, find the FedEx, park, blah, blah you may run out of time.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to wish you lucky and let you know she will love it!!!!

I am a HUGE Disney fan (although I am originially from CA , so Disneyland is my place) and that is the MOST beautiful proposal idea ever!!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so exciting! It sounds like things are working out. Let us know and post pics!!!

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
So how did it go?!?!? I can''t wait to hear the details!!

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
Awww! What a wonderful story and a beautiful ring!!! Congratulations and happy wedding planning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results