shape
carat
color
clarity

U.S. Customs question

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a Sri Lankan star sapphire off of ebay. According to the USPS tracking site, it's been sitting in customs in New York since Aug 13th, which seems like a really long time to me but I'm not sure what's normal. Who's the best person to contact to get some info? The ebay seller (who's in India)? My local post office? US Customs? Some one else?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1314107344|2997322 said:
I purchased a Sri Lankan star sapphire off of ebay. According to the USPS tracking site, it's been sitting in customs in New York since Aug 13th, which seems like a really long time to me but I'm not sure what's normal. Who's the best person to contact to get some info? The ebay seller (who's in India)? My local post office? US Customs? Some one else?

Here in the UK, it's the recipient's job to contact customs. I'd give them a call and find out what the hold up is.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
So I called the post office and they told me if the package was with customs then it was out of their hands and they couldn't help me. They then told me to give customs a call and they would be able to help. So I call customs and get an automated message that said if you're missing a package in customs and the post office told you to call us then they're full of sh!t because we don't track packages with us. If you imported something illegally, then we'll send you a letter which you'll get within 4-6 weeks. Oh and btw, piss off. (I'm paraphrasing a bit but that was the gist of the message.)

Fortunately, the next day the package appeared out of customs and is now at my local post office awaiting delivery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results