shape
carat
color
clarity

two options. . . (sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m still obsessing with what to do with my nonexistant money
3.gif
lol My husband has agreed to an upgrade of a specified amount of money and this will happen probably for our next anniversary in June (or abouts then. . . hopefully sooner
9.gif
).

I have a couple of options and have been toying with them for a while. . .

Choices would the following:

H&A .80-.85 G, H or I color, SI clarity diamond
an anniversary band F color, .6 carats TW from signed peices
new setting for .80 ish diamond (plain, simple, in platinum)
setting for current .42 round brilliant

OR

H&A .80-.85 H or I color, SI clarity
new setting (plain, simple white gold rather than platinum)
anniversary band (same as above)
and upgrade earrings to .85-.95 TCW (would be H/I color, SI clarity) [current pair are .5 TCW]

Basically the first choice would give me a platinum wedding set and a new white gold setting for my current stone.
The second choice would give me a WG wedding set and a new bigger pair of earrings BUT no setting for my current stone.

I''ve been debating over the choices and really want to have a clear idea of what I want BEFORE the time comes so I don''t make the wrong decision.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Unless you are really dieing for bigger earrings, I''d go with choice #1. I like the size earrings you have, and bet that lots of people wouldn''t notice that you had bigger ones. And...you get a platinum wedding setting and another ring!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, vote for option number one. I think that you''ll be happier with a stellar wedding set.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, another question. . .do you think it would look weird to wear an eng. ring on the right hand? The ring I'm considering is the X Prong Vatche setting in WG for my current .42 RB. (this ring isn't set in stone, but the price is at $550ish. . .I'm also considering another ring around the same price - I posted about the latter setting before and am still thinking about it). . .

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/X-Prong-in-18k-White-Gold-by-Vatch%c3%a9_767.htm#

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=99646

For the second setting, the prongs are a bit thick around the top of the diamond and this the ONLY thing that bothers me about this ring. If the prongs somehow could look thinner, I'd be going with this ring.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I''m going with choice #2.

Bigger ering stone,
Diamond Band (please post the example!!!)
Bigger earrings.

Your current ering stone already has a home- leave it alone until you''re absolutely sure you want to change it.

Given the option, I always choose bigger stones! (but that''s just me)

Personally I think you should sink that ering stone the .42 into a wide band. I think that would look cool on the right hand.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
1964.jpg

That''s a pretty one. Good choice.
Sorry about not being able to go with the majority here.
I just like diamonds, diamonds, diamonds. You can "dress" them up later.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Have to disagree here Nan! The way I read it the new e-ring stone is the same, as is the band, either way. She is just deciding between a plat setting for the new stone and a new setting for the original stone, or bigger earrings. I still vote for the settings since they are part of the whole ring upgrade, and are something you probably don''t change out just for a metal change in the future. Let the upgraded earrings be a b-day gift or something!

On the RHR ring being an e-ring, I think it''s all about what you want. I saw a woman with a beautiful pear e-ring-like solitare on her right hand yesterday. It looked great!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2004 2
6.gif
7:14 PM
Author:MichelleCarmen
Okay, I''m still obsessing with what to do with my nonexistant money
3.gif
lol My husband has agreed to an upgrade of a specified amount of money and this will happen probably for our next anniversary in June (or abouts then. . . hopefully sooner
9.gif
).

I have a couple of options and have been toying with them for a while. . .

Choices would the following:

H&A .80-.85 G, H or I color, SI clarity diamond
an anniversary band F color, .6 carats TW from signed peices
new setting for .80 ish diamond (plain, simple, in platinum)
setting for current .42 round brilliant

OR

H&A .80-.85 H or I color, SI clarity
new setting (plain, simple white gold rather than platinum)
anniversary band (same as above)
and upgrade earrings to .85-.95 TCW (would be H/I color, SI clarity) [current pair are .5 TCW]

Basically the first choice would give me a platinum wedding set and a new white gold setting for my current stone.
The second choice would give me a WG wedding set and a new bigger pair of earrings BUT no setting for my current stone.

I''ve been debating over the choices and really want to have a clear idea of what I want BEFORE the time comes so I don''t make the wrong decision.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Michelle
No, no, no
Option #1:
Upgrade center stone from .42 to .85 - .95
New setting for this Plus
New Diamond Band
New Setting for .42 center stone

OR
Option #2
Upgrade center stone
New Setting for this Plus
New Diamond Band
Upgrade Earrings.

That''s how I understood it (and I''m sticking with it!
31.gif
)

But in the end, Michelle, What do YOU want to do?
Are upgrading earrings important to you right now or the setting for the .42 ?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I would go with option #1.

.5ctw to .9ctw isn''t that different visually, and I think .5ctw is a really nice size for everyday earrings. But you didn''t mention if you were getting a brand new pair of earrings or are you trading them in? If you''re getting a brand new pair then perhaps you can use the current pair as sidestones for your current ering?

As for your current e-ring... would you mind wearing gold with your new platinum set? I personally don''t like to mix colors, so I would change the setting to match the new wedding set.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
; Let the upgraded earrings be a b-day gift or something!

On the RHR ring being an e-ring, I think it''s all about what you want. I saw a woman with a beautiful pear e-ring-like solitare on her right hand yesterday. It looked great!
hahaha - there''s no way in h*ll my husband will even consider diamonds for a b-day present after I get all this stuff. . .lol All he''ll be giving me for the next ten years are caseloads of bath and body works creams and body washes & the occasional VS "outfit."
9.gif

Okay, the math made sense last night but I placed my calculations and info up in the other room to hide it and can''t seek it at the moment as my cat''s on my lap purring. lol But, okay, the difference regarding the main eng. diamond options are minimal, but with the first choice, I will have a bit more $ to put into the main diamond, so thus possibly getting a G rather than an H or I as in the second choice. I may also be able to get a slightly larger stone w/#1 (as in .05). Based on the info above, the second choice will cost about $300-400 more. So, with #1, I may also be able to squeeze in a Roberto Coin necklace to even things out.

Okay, is all this just bad of me??? Too much? lol My husband is under the impression that I''m just buying A one carat diamond, but I find if I just go down 10 points and a bit in color, I can get all this additional "stuff we don''t need," as my husband describes just about everything I buy, including jewelry, so this makes more sense since I need stuff I don''t need.

Fortekitty, I''m keeping the original of EVERYTHING as I''m rather sentimental. Also, I don''t mind mixing white gold and platinum. Not too picky about this.

Oh, and I''m starting the early stages of decorating our new house (looking for curtains & picture frames - easy stuff
2.gif
) and my son in middle of playing tossed my plant stand and broke it. Soooo, screw the furniture. More clothes and jewelry! lol We can eat on cardboard boxes crossed legged on the floor.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would go with option number one.

I think that you will love that eternity band from Signed pieces. How about getting a custom made platinum solitaire ring for your new H&A? I would contact Mark Morrell about it now, that way, there will be plenty of time for him to make it with no rush, and maybe you can even do a payment plan with him since it is 6 months away.

The earrings you can always do at a later time and since you are planning on keeping your original studs, you may not even wear them as much anyway.

I couldn''t decide either when I was deciding on getting my new settings. I wanted diamond stud earrings and my Ritani set or an upgrade of the diamond, or something like that.

Now look, I have no Ritani set, new diamond hoop earrings and two Roberto Coin pendants.
32.gif

What the hel*????
31.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 12:24:36 PM
Author: kayla17
I personally would go with option number one.

I think that you will love that eternity band from Signed pieces. How about getting a custom made platinum solitaire ring for your new H&A? I would contact Mark Morrell about it now, that way, there will be plenty of time for him to make it with no rush, and maybe you can even do a payment plan with him since it is 6 months away.

The earrings you can always do at a later time and since you are planning on keeping your original studs, you may not even wear them as much anyway.

I couldn''t decide either when I was deciding on getting my new settings. I wanted diamond stud earrings and my Ritani set or an upgrade of the diamond, or something like that.

Now look, I have no Ritani set, new diamond hoop earrings and two Roberto Coin pendants.
32.gif

What the hel*????
31.gif
lol soooo spoiled. hahaha!!! All your new pieces are so cute. I''m still hoping to buy a Roberto Coin necklace too! Can''t wait till my birthday on Dec. 18th so I can drag my husband to BBB
9.gif
. . .but I''d love to find a deal on eBay so I may keep an eye on the stuff there as well.

It''s really confusing figuring out what to get, isn''t it? The ritani set you have is so pretty that I''m considering this too, but will look at MM''s stuff too just to see. It also depends upon how much $ I end up saving up on the side (in addition to what my husband has budgeted. lol!)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am leaning towards option number one too! It''s a tough call but I agree with Kayla that you might enjoy the wedding set more.
1.gif

Regardless, pictures are mandatory when the new bauble(s) arrive!
1.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2004 11:16:41 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
I am leaning towards option number one too! It''s a tough call but I agree with Kayla that you might enjoy the wedding set more.
1.gif

1.gif

Ahhh hmmm, it''s KLo for now on..................please don''t forget!
2.gif

And it''s Janet, if your nasty...
31.gif
13.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 11:29:44 PM
Author: kayla17

Date: 11/30/2004 11:16:41 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
1.gif

1.gif

Ahhh hmmm, it''s KLo for now on..................please don''t forget!
2.gif

And it''s Janet, if your nasty...
31.gif
13.gif
To "K.Lo"

OK--now I am having severe flashbacks to my junior year in HS when our pom pon routine was set to "Control." THANKS.
37.gif
2.gif

From "J.Flo"
2.gif
1.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
michelle,
I just wanted to add something about the Ritani set I am getting and why I chose it.
I have another wedding set that has a lot of bling on the band, over two carats on both the wedding band and e-ring, so I didn''t want something that was the same as what I already have.

I wanted just a hint of sparkle, so that when you look at the ring from a distance, you see a shimmer, but you have to really look closely to see where it''s coming from. The ACA centerstone has so much bling anyway, I didn''t need that much more in the band.
When I saw the Ritani set, I absolutely loved it. I thought it was perfect, from a distance it looks like a solitaire, but with added sparkle.
I thought about a three stone, but I would eventually like to get a three stone with a sapphire center, so why have two three stone rings?
So, that was why I chose the Ritani. There was no other company that I could find that had something similar.
Here are the things I like about the setting, it has a basket head with a solid cathedral shank. The basket is set fairly low and the gallery attaches to the solid shank, I think this makes the setting much more durable and stable. The diamonds on the shank don''t protrude out of the sides, they are surrounded by a thin layer of metal, this is good b/c you don''t have to worry about the diamonds causing friction against other diamonds or the metal on the other bands. There is almost no doughnut, so a low set wedding band can sit flush with the e-ring. Also, because of the way they made the basket, the diamond sits fairly low. Lastly, I liked the diamonds that they added to the basket.
Among the companies that I looked into were Memoire, Precision Set and Michael B. Michael B was out of the question because price wise, the Ritani was less for about the same carat weight, and I didn''t like the way the head sat on the shank. It had a peg head rather than a basket head. I think that it looks nicer when the head is built into the shank rather than just laying on top of it. Memoire was nice, but again, I didn''t like the peg head, I felt that it could just get knocked off one day.
The thing I did like about the Memoire setting is that if you look really closely, the metal surrounds each diamond just a tiny bit, so you don''t have to worry about the diamonds causing friction against the other bands. I thougt that was very clever of them to do. Also, memoire bands are extremely low set, which I like.
Also, if I picked something with larger diamonds, which the memoire band has, it would be similar to the other set I already had, and I really wanted to have a different look. I didn''t want all bling, I wanted my ACA to be the centerpiece.
So, that''s why I chose the Ritani set. I really thought a lot about it before I picked the setting. Hopefully, I made the right choice!!!
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer, You'll be seeing photos, trust me!!! This website will probably crash due to the overflow of photos being uploaded. lol
2.gif

Kayla, Thanks for your comments on the Ritani. Do you think the diamond head/basket would be too overpowering for a smaller stone, such as a .8-.90? Also, do you think that this eng. ring would look good with a plain wedding band that's thin (same mm) as the eng. band? I guess probably not??? hmmmm. . .I love the ring you have, but cannot afford the matching band and a new diamond too so I'd just buy the eng ring (that is unless you want to bestow your extra band onto me. . .lol)
9.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Why not get a "Plain" setting for the ering and a nice diamond band from signed pieces (like you wanted)
I''d direct the budget towards the best stone and diamond band. Don''t take away from the stone budget with a setting.
It''s nice to have both but if I were to choose I''d go with stone, plain setting and diamond band.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2004 12:20:32 PM
Author: sevens one
It''s nice to have both but if I were to choose I''d go with stone, plain setting and diamond band.

Yes, I definitely agree with this. I would rather go with a bigger/better stone, plain solitaire setting and the eternity band.

It''s always easy to change the setting, but if you spend a lot on a setting and then change your mind later, you are out of that money.

I would definitely get the diamond and then take my time deciding on a setting. You may just love the look of a solitaire anyway.

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/29/2004 3:54:22 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen
Okay, another question. . .do you think it would look weird to wear an eng. ring on the right hand? The ring I''m considering is the X Prong Vatche setting in WG for my current .42 RB. (this ring isn''t set in stone, but the price is at $550ish. . .I''m also considering another ring around the same price - I posted about the latter setting before and am still thinking about it). . .

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/X-Prong-in-18k-White-Gold-by-Vatch%c3%a9_767.htm#

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=99646

For the second setting, the prongs are a bit thick around the top of the diamond and this the ONLY thing that bothers me about this ring. If the prongs somehow could look thinner, I''d be going with this ring.
I wear my engagement ring alone on my left hand and another solitaire alone on my right hand. I don''t think it looks strange at all!

I agree with you about the prongs- my right hand ring is a smaller stone, and I was very specific when I was having it mounted. I didn''t want lots of metal overwhelming the diamond.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d do option #1 and save the bigger earrings for the next purchase.
9.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 12:20:32 PM
Why not get a ''Plain'' setting for the ering and a nice diamond band from signed pieces (like you wanted)
I''d direct the budget towards the best stone and diamond band. Don''t take away from the stone budget with a setting.
I agree, but if you really want platinum, I would get it now. I know I would never spend the $$ to swap out my plain white gold setting for a similar looking platinum setting. If you were going to go fancier or different in the future, then I would go with the WG now, but in my mind, it is hard to swap something out that is prefectly fine without a good difference/reason for the new one. (Especially when you ahve to convince DH that it makes sense!
2.gif
)

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Ok MC- WE''VE decided for you!!!
31.gif

The decision:

A) bigger center stone w/ new platinum solitaire setting
B) diamond band to accompany A
C) Leave current .42 as is
D) enough money left for some Robert Coin Fun
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
16.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 7:10:53 PM
Ok MC- WE''VE decided for you!!!
31.gif

The decision:

A) bigger center stone w/ new platinum solitaire setting
B) diamond band to accompany A
C) Leave current .42 as is
D) enough money left for some Robert Coin Fun
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
16.gif
Thanks! Now, let''s start a diamond dollar donation fund for me too! lol

Okay, I do love the look of a simple solitaire, so I''m going to do this: Mount new diamond in plat. tiffany style solitaire (possibly a more meaty weight one than the standard), purchase the new diamond, then see how much money I have left and decide from there about the new setting for my .42. If I have enough left over I''ll get the eternity ring and if not, will just wear the solitaire alone and save for the eternity ring. lol

Thanks so much again for helping me. I think my husband would rescind his offer if he had to listen to my indecisiveness over this. Truthfully, I''ve spent hours looking at drapperies in all those company catalogues you all recommended and he''s had to hear all my various plans change so frequently that he finally hid the tape measure from me so I couldn''t come up with any new ideas! lol

(oh and I''m going to cross my fingers my husband takes me shopping for my b-day and gets me a roberto necklace.
9.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results