shape
carat
color
clarity

Tux Question...

A

Anonymous

So, what's the general consensus on ties (bow tie vs regular)? FI would like to wear a bow tie, but we both think it makes him look like a waiter. :rolleyes:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
how formal is the wedding?

I think either bow tie or normal tie can look nice. Plus he will probably have a boutonniere and be standing next to the bride, so he would look like the groom!

I think FI is going to wear normal tie.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
FI is wearing a white bow tie. He doesnt look like a waiter in that!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
If he's wearing a tux, like with tails and the satin stripe down the pants, then bow tie and cumberbund.

If he's wearing a "tux", as in a really formal suit, I think you can get away with either.

My FI is wearing a black suit we bought him at Banana Republic with an ivory long tie for the ceremony and a purple and black striped tie for the reception.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Bow ties are cute! If he wants one, he should wear one.

My FI is wearing an ivory dinner jacket-- I'm sure some people will think it's weird, but I think he'll look soooo cute.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with VC. But yeah, if you two like bow ties, then go for it!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
If your wedding is a little less formal, you could also think about a fun bow tie, which would look NOTHING like a waiter's! The one ladypirate's husband wore comes to mind!!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't started much planning yet, but I have been researching tuxedos. This is my favorite site for information so far -- Link -- very good information with lots of details and pictures.

How formal is your wedding? If you are doing black-tie or white-tie, then a bow tie would be absolutely the right choice. In which case, you might even consider a traditional waist coat instead of the cumberbund.

One thing to remember is that as the bride and groom you can be dressed more formally than your guests and even your bp too so if you and FI wanted to wear black or white tie, that would not have to be required for anyone else. (my favorite combination is white-tie for the bride/groom, black tie for the bp, formal for guests)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
FI is the only one in white tie, our BP are in black tie, guests are black tie or formal at their discretion.

Our wedding is formal.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Great link TooPatient!

Im afraid Im not well versed in men's formal wear, but luckily FI has been wearing black tie since he was a teenager, so Im leaving it all up to him!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and all his groomsmen wore traditional tuxes with a black bow tie and cumber-bun. I am old fashioned and loved how classic it look. I can promise you no confused them with the wait staff.

A

Anonymous

Interesting! I fully expected the majority to be a regular tie. Our wedding is fairly formal, but not "stuffy". It's going to be outdoor at a yacht club with the reception inside. We have a very small BP! Just the best man, matron of honor and my girls as flower girl/jr. bridesmaids (they'll walk with me, then sit down for the bulk of the ceremony).

Is it bad that I have no idea if it's a formal tux or not? :oops: All I know is that it's black, with an ivory shirt, ivory vest and they're getting ivory pocket squares. The BM is going to wear the same, but with a black vest.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bow tie, definitely. If the jacket fits him well, he won't look like a waiter.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tammy77|1305760805|2925233 said:
Interesting! I fully expected the majority to be a regular tie. Our wedding is fairly formal, but not "stuffy". It's going to be outdoor at a yacht club with the reception inside. We have a very small BP! Just the best man, matron of honor and my girls as flower girl/jr. bridesmaids (they'll walk with me, then sit down for the bulk of the ceremony).

Is it bad that I have no idea if it's a formal tux or not? :oops: All I know is that it's black, with an ivory shirt, ivory vest and they're getting ivory pocket squares. The BM is going to wear the same, but with a black vest.

Take a look at the link I posted. It almost sounds like they're wearing white tie. If that is the case, the appropriate (traditionly with the white tie tux) would be a white bow tie.

A

Anonymous

Hmm well my dress is ivory and they lady at MW insisted that we HAD to go with ivory for the guys too. I'm so confused! :wacko:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
tammy77|1305820489|2925697 said:
Hmm well my dress is ivory and they lady at MW insisted that we HAD to go with ivory for the guys too. I'm so confused! :wacko:

I was wondering about this too...have read 'definitely ivory' or 'definitely white'.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
My dress was ivory so I thought that meant ivory shirt. I spoke to Mark Ingram who is a style guru apparently and he swore up and down that white shirt was still the right way to go, so that is what we did and it looked great.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
My dress is ivory. FI's shirt is white with an ivory tie. The slight contrast of color between his shirt and tie is really becoming, I think.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1305826302|2925778 said:
My dress is ivory. FI's shirt is white with an ivory tie. The slight contrast of color between his shirt and tie is really becoming, I think.

vc I have seen this and really like this look :) I am thinking of suggesting it to FI

A

Anonymous

FI wanted to go with a white shirt, so I'm really glad I asked these questions! I'll show him the thread tonight. :)

Thanks girls! :bigsmile:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1305804983|2925552 said:
tammy77|1305760805|2925233 said:

Take a look at the link I posted. It almost sounds like they're wearing white tie. If that is the case, the appropriate (traditionly with the white tie tux) would be a white bow tie.

I adore ivory waistcoats.

I'm going to gently disagree. A white tie tuxedo does not exist. White tie calls for tails. Wearing a white bow tie with a dinner jacket is normally quite a blunder, but if the groom wants to do it to designate him as the groom, fine. However, I think black bow tie looks better as it breaks up so much white. On the other hand, true white tie looks particularly good with royalty, what with their sashes and decorations.

This is how black tie is done, save for Prince William's shoes: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/cm/harpersbazaar/images/Bp/hbz-william-charles-de.jpg This is a good rundown in woman-friendly format: http://lilylemontree.blogspot.com/2010/10/cracking-code-blissful-guide-to-dress.html Note that Obama's dinner jacket is a glorified black suit jacket (or a modern interpretation depending on your POV) with it's notch lapel, two buttons fastening, and pocket flaps, and seeming lack of stripe down his trousers.

This is specifically on wedding attire: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6562

And this is just on black tie (dinner jacket, tuxedo): http://www.blacktieguide.com/

A

Anonymous

If FI went with a white shirt, he'd wear an ivory vest and ivory tie (bow or traditional, probably bow). He won't wear a cumber-bun, at least I don't think so!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
an illustration from 1934.

ivoryvest1gt.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results