shape
carat
color
clarity

Turn the tables on telemarketers with Jolly Roger!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this!

NY times article by Nick Bilton, Feb. 24, 2016

A Robot That Has Fun at Telemarketers’ Expense

Roger Anderson may not seem like a superhero. But to many, he has become one.

By day, Mr. Anderson is a consultant who works on phone systems, setting up phone lines for companies and the kind of networks that ask you to press 1 for this, 2 for that. He loves telephones. When he’s on vacation, he visits places like the Museum of Communications in Seattle, where he takes selfies next to old telephones wires. (His wife even made him a little hat embroidered with telephones.)

But by night, he wages battles against evil telemarketers, tweaking and honing a robot that can talk endlessly to telemarketers, wasting their time so they don’t have to waste yours.

It all started a few years ago, when a telemarketer called Mr. Anderson with a pitch, and rather than talk to the sales guy, he handed the phone to his young son. The telemarketer cursed at the little boy. Enough was enough.

Average people harassed by telemarketers do not have many options. They may try to block callers by painstakingly entering each number into their smartphone’s block list, signing up for VoIP phone services that offer spam call filters, or downloading apps like Truecaller. There is also a national Do Not Call Registry, but many calls still get through.

Mr. Anderson, however, is no ordinary telephone user, so he decided to take a crack at solving the problem in a new way.
Enter the Jolly Roger Telephone Company. Whenever Mr. Anderson hears from a telemarketer, he patches the caller through to his robot, puts his phone on mute and lets his bot do the talking.

While the simple robot does not possess anything near artificial intelligence, it does understand speech patterns and inflections, so it can monitor what the telemarketer is saying, and then do its best to try to keep the person on the end of the line engaged.
Often the robot just has a little fun. Using recorded lines spoken by Mr. Anderson, it may say the following to the telemarketer: “I just woke up from a nap, I took some medicine and I’m really groggy. Can you go a little slower?” Sometimes it interrupts the telemarketer to ask questions. “Do you drink coffee?” or “You sound like someone I went to high school with.”

The idea is to keep the telemarketer on the call for as long as possible. The longer the conversation goes on, the more eccentric the robot becomes. In one sequence, the robot tells the telemarketer that a bee landed on his arm, and asks the telemarketer to keep talking as he focuses on the bee.

After seeing that the service worked, Mr. Anderson made it freely available to anyone; it works with landlines (with conference call or three-way calling service) and cellphones. To send telemarketing calls to the robot, add the phone number 214-666-4321 to your address book. Then, the next time you get a call from a telemarketer, patch the number in, merge the calls and put your phone on mute while the robot does the talking.

For Mr. Anderson, this service isn’t just about wasting the time of people who want to waste our time. He sees his service as a way to help ordinary people, especially older Americans, from being defrauded.

According to reports from industry groups and companies trying to thwart telemarketers, the telemarketing industry wastes tens of billions of dollars a year in time. The Federal Trade Commission said that in 2015 it received 3.6 million complaints about unwanted telemarketer calls. And the National Association of Attorneys General says that millions of Americans are defrauded by illicit telemarketers every year.

“It’s really scary to hear how these telemarketers are trying to scam people,” Mr. Anderson said. “There really is no way to protect yourself. You can not answer the phone, but they’re going to call you again tomorrow and the day after that.”

And people are eager to use the robot. This month, after Gizmodo, the technology blog, wrote about the Jolly Roger Telephone Company, the robot’s number has been ringing off the hook. There have been over 70,000 calls to the bot, Mr. Anderson said, most lasting for three or four minutes.

But recently, one of the calls went for 22 minutes. It was from a cable company that called to try to get a customer to sign up for bigger, better, faster cable.

“Whenever you ask the robot a question, it always replies ‘yes,’” Mr. Anderson said. “So it kept signing it up for all the sports packages and high-speed services that the cable telemarketer offered.”

Mr. Anderson feels as if he’s truly helping people with his robot. He’s spending nights and weekends perfecting it. (His young son is even helping to monitor the calls that come into the phone line.) And he recently started a Kickstarter campaign with the hope of perfecting the bot. He’s also trying the cover the cost of all those incoming calls.

But his ultimate goal is bigger.

“My dream is to disrupt the autodialers,” he said. These are the robocallers that can dial 10,000 phone numbers a day and are able to detect if an answering service or human being answers the call.

In other words, Mr. Anderson wants his robot to do battle against other robots. That sounds like a superhero to me.

A version of this article appears in print on February 25, 2016, on page D8 of the New York edition with the headline: Waging War With Telemarketers.

And here's a transcript from a recent NPR interview (http://www.npr.org/2016/02/25/468149405/jolly-roger-telephone-company-uses-software-to-entrap-telemarketers)

ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST: Meet a man on a mission, a mission to stop telemarketers. It all started with a passion for phones.

ROGER ANDERSON: I just love telephones and telecom in general. And it really, really offended me that all these unsolicited telemarketers are clogging up the system and causing people to drop their landlines. And that offended me so much that I wanted to create something that would at least cause them some pain as well.

SIEGEL: So that's what Roger Anderson did. He created the Jolly Roger Telephone Company, a computer program to entrap telemarketers.

AUDIE CORNISH, HOST: For example...

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

ERICA: Hi, good evening, Joseph?

ANDERSON: Yes.

ERICA: Hi, Joseph. My name is Erica (ph).

ANDERSON: Hello, are you are a real person?

ERICA: Yes, I am. Are you? (Laughter) That's the oddest question. I've never had that asked of me before.

CORNISH: Actually, Joseph is not a real person. It's a recording of Roger Anderson's voice. His program is able to sense a caller's inflections and pauses, effectively getting telemarketers to talk in circles to a robot. Anderson says he's not doing it to be funny or cruel. He wants to help protect people.

ANDERSON: You can at least get a little bit of, you know, a feeling of empowerment over these telemarketers when you think about them wasting 3 to 5 minutes of their time talking to a robot instead

UNIDENTIFIED MAN: The reason I'm calling, my company's having a promotion - clean out your entire ventilation system. I want to know if you want to take advantage of what we're offering.

ANDERSON: OK, so I just woke up from a nap. I'm still kind of groggy. And I took some medicine that doesn't help, so you know that feeling when you just wake up and need a couple minutes to think and figure out what's going on, maybe get some coffee? Do you drink coffee?

UNIDENTIFIED MAN: I don't drink coffee. That's...

ANDERSON: So hang on. I haven't had a chance to really wake up all the way. So can you just go a little slower? Who's this?

SIEGEL: As of last month, Roger Anderson made the Jolly Roger Telephone system available for free to anyone. And like many things these days, there is now a Kickstarter campaign to take it further.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: You are the homeowner, correct?

ANDERSON: Oh, gee, hang on. There's a bee on me. There's a bee on my arm. You know what? You keep talking. I'm not going to talk though, but go ahead a keep talking. Say that part again. And I'm just going to stay quiet 'cause of this bee.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: What we do is that every year annually, I sent you a mailer about two weeks ago. And they had a picture...

ANDERSON: Look, I know I'm kind of out of it, but that was way too much information all at once.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: OK, OK.

ANDERSON: Could you slow down and start over?

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: Sure, not a problem. Here we go.

SIEGEL: Nobel Prize contender?

ANDERSON: (Laughter) I don't know about that, but that's very flattering. Thank you.

CORNISH: Roger Anderson, creator of the Jolly Roger Telephone Company.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost posted this link here a few days ago, Dee*Jay. (I was very taken with this robot!) Thank you for doing it.

Deb :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay that's wonderful ... and hilarious. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this! Thank you for sharing DeeJay!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just tested it.

Hilarious.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just tested it.

Hilarious.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results