shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite ring help

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Hi! I've been lurking for a bit, and this is my first post. My 50th birthday is coming up in January which means garnet is my birthstone, and since Tsavorites were discovered in 1967, we're both turning 50, so it really seems like the perfect present. Even DH, who really isn't a jewelry guy, agreed!

I pulled the trigger and bought this stone from Paraiba International:

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=3729

Any thoughts on this stone? It's very pretty in real life.

I'd also love some input on how it should be set. I'm kind of thinking a three stone ring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it's very beautiful. Lucky you. Great hubby! I think a 3 stone ring would be lovely. I'd set the gem east/ west. Now for the side stones. Round Diamonds would look lovely, say 20 points each, but most expensive. Colour ideas depend on your colour preferences. I'd consider deep purple amythest, red Garnet or orange Garnet/ sapphire. I'd stick with round side stones for contrast and around 4 mm so as not to overwhelm the "prize" centre gem. That said, there are so many artistic and knowledge PSers who hopefully will make lots of excellent suggestions.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! I love three-stone rings so I am all for that option. I'd set the tsavorite with double claw prongs and then do either smaller cushions or half-moons.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Bron357 - Thank you! I'm torn on the east west. I very much want a ring set that way, but I have an aquamarine waiting in the wings that I'm considering setting that way. I think I want diamonds as the side stones. I'll have to investigate how much that will cost.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
distracts - Thank you! I was thinking half moons, but I hadn't considered cushions as side stones. I'll have to look into cushions!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan of baugettes with green stones!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I think diamonds will be great given the center stone is a nice size. I also was thinking half moons...or trilliants or trapezoids if you decide to go with an east-west 3 stone setting.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone, thanks for sharing! :love:

I would opt for chubby diamond pears in N-S orientation myself.

Good luck with your project and I look forward to the finished ring.

DK :))

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you don't mind colour consider a pair of purple pear shaped Sapphires with the main stone running down the finger and then accent with diamond melee.
Maybe Art Deco style if thats your thing, the antique cushion cut suits that style.
Baguette Diamonds with small diamond melee also works.
Classic three stone will work if you just want to show off the stone.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Chroman- I really like baguettes too. My mother has a beautiful emerald ring with baguettes that I will likely inherit, so I want this ring to be different.

lilmosun - Thank you! My stepmother's emerald has trillions, so I think I'll probably go with trapezoids or half moons.

dk168 - Thank you! I hadn't considered pear shapes, so I will look into that.

DDOC - I think I want the green to be star, so I will likely go with diamonds.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just chiming in to say you have chosen an amazing stone.
I love the option with pear sides as dk mentioned.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Acinom - Thank you! I feel like I looked at every Tsavorite available online. My search was hindered by the fact that I didn't want a round, pear or oval. (There seem to be a lot of ovals out there!) I'd been looking at this stone for a couple of days, and when I looked on Wednesday of last week, the price had dropped by over $700! I just had to buy it! I was going to buy two and compare, but after talking to Adam, I knew this was my stone. I'm so glad that all of you seem to like it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring has half-moon sides, so I am definitely biased toward those. I'd also consider whether you want any diamond melee - like if you want just a plain three-stone or something a little fancier, with a fancy basket with diamond melee, or milgraining or engraving on the shank or anything.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
I don't know whose rings they are, but here are some that inspired me. Not even sure if they are tsavs. or emeralds

file-6.jpg

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
This one might be from DBL

tsavorite-garnet-diamond-ring.jpg

porkandham

Rough_Rock
LawmaLama - Thank you for the pictures! I love your ring; it's an image I had already saved! If my stone was an emerald cut, I think I would have an easier time because I'd go with side stones that have straight lines. The curves of the cushion are making it harder for me to make a decision.

distracts- Is that your engagement ring in your avatar? It's beautiful! I think half moons would really compliment the shape of my stone. I'm leaning towards a plainer band, but I'll probably have a few different options mocked up.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Yep, I was just planting the seed for diamonds, rather than colored side stones.

I love the half moon or pear sides ideas.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
How large should the diamond side stones be? The tsavorite is 8.7mm x 7.3mm.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Depends what proportions you like. Have you decided on shape? Do you want finger coverage? Figure out the mm of your finger edge to edge and what is taken up by the center stone. The see what is left on either side. And also, consider your budget too.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
I tend to be a bigger is better person. It isn't a huge stone, so I'm going to need to bulk it up. My hands are pretty big. Size 8.5. I'll try to figure out an exact measurement. I don't want it to look dainty, but I don't want it to look so cocktail-y that I can't wear it every day. My budget is pretty flexible. My DH keeps saying, "You only turn 50 once!" In my head $5000 seems like a reasonable budget, but that's totally arbitrary, and I really have no idea what that will buy me. Let's say I have $3000 for side stones and setting.

I sort of sound like a clueless Goldilocks here. "I don't know what I want but - Not too big! Not too small!"

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
White or yellow gold, or platinum?
Stock setting with diamonds included? Stuller or another caster?
Or custom setting?
If custom, the cost will likely be more than 3k total.
Local jeweler or PS vendor?

porkandham

Rough_Rock
White gold or platinum. Probably white gold due to budget.
I could go with a stock setting. It would be be better for the budget. I just had a custom ring made for a stone that was too large for a stock setting, so I know it's expensive.I think at this juncture, I'd rather put the money towards better stones. Budget is flexible, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable.
I have local jeweler that I like, but I'm open on that front.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
porkandham|1479135159|4098175 said:
How large should the diamond side stones be? The tsavorite is 8.7mm x 7.3mm.

I think this may depend on how much money you want to spend! There are all sorts of different proportions you can go for- maybe some appeal to you more than others? There are also step cuts and more traditional cuts.

You can do bigger halfmoons that are nearly as long as the stone (given the size of your stone, obviously a more expensive option):

half_moons2.jpg
dkcsringsdt_001.jpg
half_moons.jpg
img-20140601-wa002.jpg
screen_shot_2016-02-09_at_3.png
img_20150620_100803.jpg

Medium halfmoons:

sapphire_half_moon.jpg
_2228.jpg
_2230.jpg
0_rsp_by_sk_06.jpg

Halfmoons WITH a halo:

_14209.jpg
sapphire_hands_sm.jpg
file.jpg

Um, I know there have been some posted with smaller proportions of halfmoons to main stone but I can't seem to find them.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
distracts - Thank you for the pictures. They're very helpful, except I like them all! How will I ever decide?!

Any idea what the price difference is between a medium and a large pair of half moons? I realize there are many factors, but all things being equal...

Should I have my jeweler source the side stones, or would I be better off finding them on my own? If I decide to go with a stock setting, are there options regarding the side stones?

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Your stone measures 8.7x7.3x4.6. The stuller settings are in square measurements for cushions. If possible and you want to keep the budget low, ask your trusted bench jeweler if a stuller setting can accommodate the center stone. Some benches can modify/customize the stock setting to work for an additional fee that won't be nearly as much as custom.

Here's one for pear sides in 9x9 with 4x3 pears. Item 122924.

And they have one with half moons item #122104

Sorry I couldn't post the links, couldn't get them to paste.

In either instance you could have the jeweler get diamond pairs for the sides for you to choose from within your budget, or you could get them yourself online since the sides are calibrated baskets.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Thank you for posting those settings. I like the one with half moons better than the pears. Any idea (ballpark) how much that setting would be? Also, any vendor recommendations for the diamonds?

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Stuller pricing is through the retail vendor, so I really cant estimate. But stuller is typically very reasonable. It will depend on whether your jeweler can fit your stone in it or not. If not, you'll have to go custom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results