shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to date a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I what to know what period is this piece? All I know it''s from Ireland 1carat European Cut H color SI1 diamond. I''m thinking maybe 1930''s???

digital pics 140.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you know it''s from Ireland?

Dating pieces is a guessing game. There is no scientific test for either the age of metal or stone. It''s a matter of collecting evidence and making an educated guess. Look at the techniques used in the manufacture. Look at the known ownership history. Look at the materials used. None of this can be done from a photo but a capable appraiser should be able to help you out.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) CGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

blitz

Rough_Rock
Are there any markings inside or around the shank or any part of the ring? Letters of numbers?

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I know it''s from Ireland because the Grand-daughter that we got the ring from, her grandmother, was from Ireland. The granddaughter was born in the 60''s, so my educated guess would be around 1930 because it''s the grandmother''s engagement ring. My Father acquired the ring when the granddaughter couldn''t pay her rent and my father was the landlord. We have tried to contact her, but since she has divorced her husband she doesn''t want to buy the ring back. It has been in the safe for the past 8 years and my father told me to sell it, but I kinda like period pieces so I think I''m going to keep it. :)

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
it has diamond shaped interwoven together on the inside the ring like

it either says "K" OR "R" can''t see

I''ll upload a pic if you like

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
inside ring

digital pics 203.jpg

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I know generally the standard in Ireland is 9k, and that might answer my question if it was really from Ireland or not, but it''s still fun and interesting

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! If it is a true OEC (as opposed to a transitional cut), I think that dates it at the latest the 1920's. I was told that they generally stopped cutting OECs in the 20's (of course, they could have set the diamond in the ring after that). Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in on whether or not that is true...

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a true European, my Dad had it verbally appraised. I work in a jewelry store and he said he''d give me $1,000 for it because it would have to be cut into a modern cut stone inorder for him to sell it, but forget that!! I like it the way it is!!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 12:25:20 PM
Author: MustangFan
I think it is a true European, my Dad had it verbally appraised. I work in a jewelry store and he said he''d give me $1,000 for it because it would have to be cut into a modern cut stone inorder for him to sell it, but forget that!! I like it the way it is!!!

That is not true at all! These days, OECs and OMCs are becoming more popular again and when my BF and I were looking for one, we had trouble finding a lot of them to compare because the jewelers were telling us how they are popular again.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

14k is generally an American thing and most vintage Irish pieces would have quite a few more markings than that. OEC’s and even rose and mine cuts are still manufactured today, it’s a matter of what the cutter feels will maximize their ability to sell the stone. They fell out of favor with the advent of the modern brilliant cuts but this is just guessing on the date of the cutting of the diamond. ‘Illusion’ type settings like you have were very popular in the 50’s and 60’s and I’m leaning towards that but I would never give a straight answer on a piece without looking at it. Are there stones on the shoulders? How are they set?

Who graded the weight, clarity and color? Did they have other comments about the piece?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) CGA(AGS) NAJA

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Facetfire, that is why i''M SO SICK of working at this jewelry store. I thought that I''d like it, but it''s just ruining my love for jewelry. He also told me that that the color isn''t good, but I didn''t listen to him, now I wear in when I go to work and he asked me about it, but I told him I wasn''t interested in selling it anymore. BTW, I love you grandmother''s ring you have as your pic.

My b/f just recently bought my sapphire for my engagement ring you can see it on the colored stones board.
Goodluck with finding your Old Miner, I think it''s a shame that he''s just wants to recut old miners and melt down antique setting like that.

blitz

Rough_Rock
From the region of the Republic of Ireland, the jewelry markings I studied this past spring at the two museums in Dublin, nothing comes close to what your photo shows. The illusion setting that appears in the photo would not be common for region and time.
Perhaps it was brought into the country.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

OK, I’m starting to get confused. Allow me to review some facts.

Your dad owns the ring. He received it as payment of a debt from some woman who not interested in buying it back. He would like to sell it and has asked for your assistance. You got an offer of $1000 from your employer, which you haven’t accepted. The grading was done by a potential buyer who would like to recut it. Is this all correct?

If you are interested in buying it or receiving it as a gift (assuming this has even been offered), you really should seek out an appraisal, in writing, from a qualified and uninvolved 3rd party so that your dad can make a reasonable decision about what to do with HIS ring. You are not a disinterested party and neither is your employer. This is a classic example of where a $100 appraisal can save you a fortune in grief between yourself, your father and your employer. Do make sure that your appraiser understands exactly what the question being asked is. This is not an insurance replacement type appraisal assignment.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) CGA(AGS) NAJA

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
14k is american. 9k and 18k is common in UK.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 12:47:36 PM
Author: MustangFan
Facetfire, that is why i''M SO SICK of working at this jewelry store. I thought that I''d like it, but it''s just ruining my love for jewelry. He also told me that that the color isn''t good, but I didn''t listen to him, now I wear in when I go to work and he asked me about it, but I told him I wasn''t interested in selling it anymore. BTW, I love you grandmother''s ring you have as your pic.

My b/f just recently bought my sapphire for my engagement ring you can see it on the colored stones board.

Goodluck with finding your Old Miner, I think it''s a shame that he''s just wants to recut old miners and melt down antique setting like that.

Thanks! My BF did end up finding a great OEC (I love them so much and really wanted one for my engagement ring before they became too rare), but I have yet to see it because he wants it to be a surprise. It''s off being set right now! I think it''s around 2 carats and an I or J, but that''s just based on rough info I''ve managed to figure out. LOL

Definitely don''t even think about selling that gorgeous ring until you at least get it appraised and can get a fair value for it. Personally, I think it''s especially hard to get a fair value for OECs in the current market, because there are still some jewelers like yours that believe the only worth in an OEC is the modern stone that can be cut from it. I forget where I read it, but apparently before they started becoming popular again, appraisers were determining their value based on that same idea...the size and quality of the modern brilliant "within."

Do you have any more pics that you could share with us? It''s such a beautiful ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results