shape
carat
color
clarity

Truvia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone else tried it? Is it considered to be safe?

I hate hate hate Splenda (weird aftertaste, weird texture), so I was interested to try this..It seems pretty good. I usually use sugar to mix in with plain yogurt or oatmeal, in my tea, and sometimes to mix in with berries if they are a little tart. I was kind of expecting this to taste weird because I''m pretty sensitive to artificial sugar tastes, but I think it''s the best one so far that I''ve tried for raw sugar applications.

I know it''s supposed to be made from a plant and therefore "Natural", but I don''t know how well it''s been studied (studies are funded by Cargill and Coca Cola), how it is processed (obviously something goes on between the leaves and the white powder in the packets) and the ethics and environmental impact of farming Stevia vs. sugar.

What do you think?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i am extremely sensitive to aspartame and have no desire to use splenda or any other artificial sweetener. i have been using stevia for several years now. i have had no problems.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just heard of Stevia for the first time this weekend, when I met up with a friend of mine who has lost 55 lbs in the last six months.
23.gif
Then I saw Truvia in the store but wasn''t aware it was made from Stevia ... now I''m intrigued!

I''d mostly use it in oatmeal & w/fruit & yogurt & in iced tea/coffee. Though it looks like Truvia will *eventually* be offered in baking bulk quantities like regular sugar. It only comes in single serving packets now I hear.

Anyone else heard of it, or using it?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Hubby is very health conscious (I''m a lost cause
9.gif
) and he spotted Stevia in our local *health food* store, read the hype and bought a large! box of the small packets.

Yesterday at noon he tried it in his decaf, but said he didn''t like the taste. Now we have an entire boxful and I''ve never used sweetener
17.gif

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I bought the box with single-serving packets about a month ago. I''ve been using it in my tea, and on grapefruit. I think it is great! To me, it''s a little sweeter than sugar and has a bit different texture, but it''s a good alternative to using sugar to sweeten things up bit

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Hubby gave up after having part of the single serving of Stevia in his coffee. He said he could taste the preservatives...
5.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m interested in this stuff as well. I have always loved Splenda. To me it doesn''t taste as nasty as Sweet n'' Low and Equal. I like that I can use it while baking but someone mentioned to me this weekend that they are beginning to discover some serious long term health issues with it. I have yet to look into it. Has anyone else heard of this stuff?

I''m glad to hear that some of you like the Truvia. I''ll have to get some from the store next time I see it. Has anyone else tried Agave based sweetener? I''ve seen it in Trader Joe''s before.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
The other day, my husband bought one of those flavored water drinks, and we were both surprised to see that it didn''t have any calories because it didn''t have the weird aftertaste that comes with artificial sweeteners. It turns out that it had Purevia (like Truvia, made from stevia).

I haven''t bought any yet, but based on that experience, I may pick some up. I don''t uses sweeteners often, but every now and then I put a little in my tea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results