carat
color
clarity

Trump fired acting AG Yates

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1485888430|4122385 said:
I just found out that my neighbor -- a green card holder married to an American citizen -- is stuck in Australia and can't get back home.

She and her husband went to Australia to visit with her siblings, and her parents (Iranian) also went there so the whole family was together. Her husband came home a week ago due to work but she stayed to visit with her family because she just learned that her father has cancer. So now she gets to make this choice: come back to the US not knowing if she will be able to visit her father in Iran before he dies, if she should stay in Australia, or go to Iran with her parents (not knowing if she'll EVER be able to come back here to her husband.

Good job Pvss Grab.

ARRGGGGGGGGG :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaaron|1485884626|4122352 said:
I don't imagine she thought for a second that she would keep her job. I would imagine that she decided law and conscience transcended personal gain.

And if her "honorable" conscience felt that way, she should have followed the protocol - address the matter impartially with the WH or resign.

AGBF said:
smitcompton|1485881696|4122319 said:
IMO ,the high road and protocol is that she resign.

The important words here are "in my opinion". I certainly do not agree with you.

She didn't "give up her job"; she was fired for not doing her job. There is a difference; resigning on her principles would have been the respectable "high road" thing to do if she wanted to:
Rep. Elijah Cummings said:
stand upon their principles, so at the end of the day they can look them selves in the mirror and say 'I synchronized my conduct with my conscience'.

Dee*Jay: I certainly feel for your neighbor being caught up in this mess, but moreso that her father is ill. That would be my primary concern (getting there) above all else. This "ban" IS temporary, if it even remains in place. That said, I hope you have their permission to post their photo online. I get your point of the "this is the face of..." comment, but they do deserve a level of privacy as well, especially in light of the situation. A "literal" take on that by someone vetting mpacted travelers could mistake your verbiage intent, resulting in additional, unnecessary problems.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1485839509|4122179 said:
JoCoJenn|1485835330|4122162 said:
She was a political appointee who refused to do her job.

It's no different than the woman who refused to marry gay couples. When you work as a government employee, you enforce the law.

The Acting AG had a lawful order, she refused to defend it; she deserved to be fired - period.

The difference is that Kim Davis was trying to uphold a distinction that the Supreme Court had already found to be unconstitutional.

At least four federal courts have found at least part of the order to be either unlawful or potentially unlawful and needing further review. Separation of powers and all that. The prez issuing an Executive Order doesn't necessarily mean that it is legal under the constitution.

An Attorney General serves at the will or the president and prezT is within his rights to fire Acting AG Gates. That doesn't mean his EO is legal or constitutional - that remains to be seen.

I agree with this.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1485893612|4122432 said:
Dee*Jay: I certainly feel for your neighbor being caught up in this mess, but moreso that her father is ill. That would be my primary concern (getting there) above all else. This "ban" IS temporary, if it even remains in place. That said, I hope you have their permission to post their photo online. I get your point of the "this is the face of..." comment, but they do deserve a level of privacy as well, especially in light of the situation. A "literal" take on that by someone vetting mpacted travelers could mistake your verbiage intent, resulting in additional, unnecessary problems.

Thank you for your concern about posting their photos -- I appreciate that and I'm sure they would too. The picture was included in a newspaper article so I felt it was sufficiently public (the pic I posted was actually one I took with my phone of the photo in the published article).

And yes, the whole thing is bad enough but the situation with her father is just so so so sad...

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1485893972|4122440 said:
Thank you for your concern about posting their photos -- I appreciate that and I'm sure they would too. The picture was included in a newspaper article so I felt it was sufficiently public (the pic I posted was actually one I took with my phone of the photo in the published article).

And yes, the whole thing is bad enough but the situation with her father is just so so so sad...

Gotcha! I'd just hate to see an already crappy situation made even crappier due to a bureaucratic misinterpretation. ;-)

I hope she gets to her father, that he is able to recover from his illness, and she is able to return home - HERE - safely. :pray:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results