carat
color
clarity

Trump Defends Confederate Flag

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Trump Defends Confederate Flag in Latest Race-Based Appeal to White Voters"

President Trump implied that NASCAR’s decision to prohibit Confederate flags at its races was a mistake while also falsely asserting that a top Black driver, Bubba Wallace, had engaged in a hoax involving a noose found in his stall."

July 6, 2020Updated 1:44 p.m. ET

"President Trump mounted an explicit defense of the Confederate flag on Monday, suggesting that NASCAR had made a mistake in banning it from its auto racing events, while falsely accusing a top Black driver, Darrell Wallace Jr., of perpetrating a hoax involving a noose found in his garage.
Mr. Trump’s reference to the Confederate flag, and its role in a sport whose mostly white fans Mr. Trump remains popular with, was the latest remark by the president as he tries to rally his culturally conservative base behind his struggling re-election effort.

While NASCAR and other organizations have moved to retire symbols of the Confederacy, and lawmakers in Mississippi voted to bring down the state flag featuring the Confederate emblem, Mr. Trump has increasingly used racist language and references to portray himself as a protector of the history of the American South. He has called the phrase 'Black Lives Matter' a 'symbol of hate,' and he has repeatedly tried to depict pockets of violence during protests against entrenched racism as representative of the protest movement as a whole.

Mr. Trump delivered official speeches over the weekend that emphasized defending American historical figures like Washington and some abolitionists, though he avoided explicit references to totems of the Confederacy."

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s just so surreal to me. The reality show Trump I remember was an atheist who dated models. Anyway, he’s off the rails.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
If you watched the press briefing it was stated repeatedly that Trump did not take a position on the flying of the Confederate flag. That is hardly 'mounting an explicit defense'. Why didn't the headline say 'NASCAR fans' instead of 'white voters'? It's almost like NYT is participating in race baiting.
I can't believe an article like that even passes for news....but it is representative of the rubbish routinely served up for mindless news consumers....and they swallow it right down.

voce

Ideal_Rock
While I do bemoan the sensational headline, I'm even more bothered by how Trump manages to find hoaxes everywhere that he goes. I'm quite sure seeing hoaxes every day and everywhere would be taxing his wit and sanity.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
While I do bemoan the sensational headline, I'm even more bothered by how Trump manages to find hoaxes everywhere that he goes. I'm quite sure seeing hoaxes every day and everywhere would be taxing his wit and sanity.

I don't know why Trump felt compelled to comment when the story had died down. I didn't pay much attention to how the media covered the findings of the 'noose' being a garage pull down rope...and not at all targeting a specific driver...so not a noose, not a hate crime or even a hint of such.. I did see the driver continue to say it was a noose. Is that why Trump is calling it a hoax?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't know why Trump felt compelled to comment when the story had died down. I didn't pay much attention to how the media covered the findings of the 'noose' being a garage pull down rope...and not at all targeting a specific driver...so not a noose, not a hate crime or even a hint of such.. I did see the driver continue to say it was a noose. Is that why Trump is calling it a hoax?

1594072522682.png
In this case, Trump may well be justified in calling it a hoax. However, I am weary of hearing that word so many times. Hoax means a humorous or malicious deception. Does Trump see humor and malicious deceptive intent wherever he goes? Why does he pay attention to this stuff? Why does he feel like he needs to call out any hoaxes? Why doesn't he focus his attention on more serious matters?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
i don't think he thinks its humorous....just the fake and malicious part. He has always punched down... and it hasn't helped him as president. But he's always been like that...it's predictable. Some of the stuff flung at him is stupid and ridiculous....but he validates it by engaging. He should have a surrogate to do that or learn to just let it go. He'll never be the bigger man even if he is right on some of these things.

hoax
verb
\ ˈhōks \
hoaxed; hoaxing; hoaxes
Definition of hoax
(Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
: to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

voce

Ideal_Rock
i don't think he thinks its humorous....just the fake and malicious part. He has always punched down... and it hasn't helped him as president. But he's always been like that...it's predictable. Some of the stuff flung at him is stupid and ridiculous....but he validates it by engaging. He should have a surrogate to do that or learn to just let it go. He'll never be the bigger man even if he is right on some of these things.

hoax
verb
\ ˈhōks \
hoaxed; hoaxing; hoaxes
Definition of hoax
(Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
: to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

It irks me that he wastes time engaging these things when he surely has higher priorities as Chief Executive.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My town, this weekend: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lake-monroe-indiana-vauhxx-booker/5384407002/. A Black man was assaulted, pinned to a tree by 5 white assailants, held there, while someone yelled a request for a noose. Prior to being pinned against the tree he was beaten severely.

I'm *almost* glad Trump has incited so much bullshit from his base. KKK members in a town about an hour north of me were also VERY comfortable protesting a peaceful BLM protest on Friday, 7/3/2020 wearing NO masks but cloaked in confederate flags, and wearing KKK shirts. I mean they're so comfortable being "out" now I'd be surprised if they bother with those white hoods anymore! Now everyone will know exactly who they are, for whom they work, their families, everything--because their boy Trump has made them feel free to express their hate.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 6.59.46 PM.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My town, this weekend: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lake-monroe-indiana-vauhxx-booker/5384407002/. A Black man was assaulted, pinned to a tree by 5 white assailants, held there, while someone yelled a request for a noose. Prior to being pinned against the tree he was beaten severely.

I'm *almost* glad Trump has incited so much bullshit from his base. KKK members in a town about an hour north of me were also VERY comfortable protesting a peaceful BLM protest on Friday, 7/3/2020 wearing NO masks but cloaked in confederate flags, and wearing KKK shirts. I mean they're so comfortable being "out" now I'd be surprised if they bother with those white hoods anymore! Now everyone will know exactly who they are, for whom they work, their families, everything--because their boy Trump has made them feel free to express their hate.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 6.59.46 PM.png

So Trump didn't have to say the exact words "I would fly the Confederate flag" to get his message across, Monnie? It wasn't the fault of "The New York Times" that the story of this black man's beating looks like racism?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Trump didn't have to say the exact words "I would fly the Confederate flag" to get his message across, Monnie? It wasn't the fault of "The New York Times" that this story looks like racism?

I think you are being sarcastic but it took me a minute to comprehend your tone. LOL

Also I posted two separate incidents and it probably looks like they're one and the same. The link at the top of my post is an attempted lynching that happened where I live. The image is of a counterprotest that happened an hour from me in a little town we call the KKK Capitol of Indiana.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are being sarcastic but it took me a minute to comprehend your tone. LOL

I thought you knew me pretty well my old friend. Or should I say, "fellow traveler"?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you knew me pretty well my old friend. Or should I say, "fellow traveler"?

You're right, I do! I'm multi-tasking and social media in my area is exploding today with outrage over several recent incidents and assaults. The whitesplaining happening is incredible. One of my friends who is a firefighter and happens to be Black posted the videos of the man being beaten and threatened with lynching, and there are actually white friends of ours posting in the comments "now let's make sure we have all the facts! Let's make sure we understand there are 2 sides to the story!" And that's great. I know exactly who perpetrates these crimes and who protects the perps because they constantly out themselves both intentionally and unintentionally. Thanks, Trump!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of making things up why don't we see what Trump has actually said....

'Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under our Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America.'

S

SallyB

Take the Confederate flags down. Take all the statues down. That’s good. But we still need the police.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the Confederate flags down. Take all the statues down. That’s good. But we still need the police.

Almost no one calling for defunding of the police is asking to abolish them. They are asking for a deep dive into a very corrupt system, and funneling more resources into the community. The amount of money paid into time and a half for police to create non existent crimes is appalling. We should ALL care about that. The things we ask of the police in this country are equally appalling. No one with any modicum of logical thinking is suggesting that social workers go arrest criminals.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you watched the press briefing it was stated repeatedly that Trump did not take a position on the flying of the Confederate flag. That is hardly 'mounting an explicit defense'. Why didn't the headline say 'NASCAR fans' instead of 'white voters'? It's almost like NYT is participating in race baiting. I can't believe an article like that even passes for news....but it is representative of the rubbish routinely served up for mindless news consumers....and they swallow it right down.

Not “like”; they are. They don’t even cite the actual tweet until half-way through the article. Alas, one can always count on the NY Slimes to toss some anti-Trump BS into the water to gain a few clicks. This image comes to my mind when I see these headlines:
BCDEA238-94B5-4A0D-8962-919CB93DB50A.gif

Crappy journalism aside, it was a stupid, senseless tweet, and I wish he’d get off this low-level stuff when there is so much obvious, easy fodder from the dem nom’s drivel to contrast in advance of November.

It’d also be nice if our country could go back to the days where people actually allowed an investigation to be completed before jumping to conclusions and into the nearest MSM interview seat to feed a narrative.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you watched the press briefing it was stated repeatedly that Trump did not take a position on the flying of the Confederate flag. That is hardly 'mounting an explicit defense'.

If you watched the press conference (which I did not until this morning, which is why I am only replying now) you saw multiple reporters ask why Trump said it was a mistake for Nascar to stop flying the confederate flag, if he supported flying the confederate flag, and if he would fly it at The White House. His press secretary would not answer any of these questions.

That is explicit, in-your-face, racism made to signal racists that he has their backs. "The New York Times" is on target as usual.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you watched the press briefing it was stated repeatedly that Trump did not take a position on the flying of the Confederate flag. That is hardly 'mounting an explicit defense'. Why didn't the headline say 'NASCAR fans' instead of 'white voters'? It's almost like NYT is participating in race baiting.
I can't believe an article like that even passes for news....but it is representative of the rubbish routinely served up for mindless news consumers....and they swallow it right down.

He took a clear position on flying the flag in his tweet and then it was walked back ever so slightly in the press conference.

It was never denied, his press secretary danced around the question.

I’m sure there are many on PS who do not agree, but not taking a stance when it comes to racist symbols is racist. When faced with racism, the only acceptable response is “that’s not ok”. Even the press conference damage control was condoning racism in America.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I give major kudos to the WH Press Sec for calling these fools & their nonsense out yesterday at the end of the briefing:

When society and the dishonorable press are more concerned/angered by a Trump tweet about a NASCAR driver & flag than the hundreds of innocent adults and children actually being shot & murdered every single week - not by police but by gangs and such on sidewalks, in grandparents’ yards, on our streets, in a car making a u-turn, in cities all across America ... I feel relatively confident Trump’s tweets are NOT the problem and should not be the press’ priority.

A black man was murdered in front of his 6-year-old daughter while holding her hand & walking her across a street in broad daylight ... not at a NASCAR race, a Trump rally, a gun show, or even a 2A demonstration. It was in broad daylight in NYC, where $1 Billion in police budget “defunding” was just approved following demands by BLM protestors & their supporters. And violent crime rates are jumping at beyond-alarming rates in other cities where people are also calling for police to be defunded.

But indeed, keep the focus on those daggone tweets ... that’s gonna solve a whole lot of nothing!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call me simple-minded... This seems so easy to solve.

If "defund the police" doesn't actually mean defund the police, then don't call it "defund the police". Call it "reform police responsibilities". Call it what it it's supposed to mean. Make it impossible for those who would argue that the status quo should be retained to do so: No sane person is going to argue with reforming police responsibilities.

If "black lives matter" actually means "black lives matter too", not "only black lives matter", then don't call it "black lives matter" - call it "black lives matter too". Call it what it's supposed to mean. Make it impossible for those who would argue that BLM is exclusionary to do so: No sane person is going to argue that black lives matter too.

I personally take serious objection to the phrase "defund the police". It is antagonistic, demeaning, and dismissive.
I'm not getting into BLM or MeToo further.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I agree 100%. I think the problem is that those putting the ‘defund’ message out don’t have a consistent message understood amongst themselves about it. Some say “oh, we’re just diverting some money to other programs...”, then AOC says “No, defund means defund entirely!”.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If black lives really matters then why aren't the BLM movement protesting on the streets of Chicago?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a statement that black lives matter because they have not had the same status in American society as white lives, as one can see with the deaths caused by over zealous choke holds, black people being shot in the back, to the best of my knowledge no white people videos have come out but then again they may have. One negates what the movement is saying if it's called "All live matter' or "black lives matter too" it's a given that all lives matter BUT black lives matter less. I think it's a level of thought process that not all people understand at first or get.

I'm in favor of defunding the police and starting over with money being spent on training of cops to learn to control their tempers and their anger, testing for cops to weed out those people who have serious mental problems with superiority, anger, racism, let's weed out those people and start with requiring all cops to have 4 year degrees with a minor at least in psych. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.. (Lord Acton) TRUST, cops need to have the trust of the communities they serve. Higher pay for cops, make the jobs exempt and rotate cops often if a police force can to try and control burnout, demilitarize cops, looking like storm troopers NEVER helps the situation. Work with the community not against it. If this does not work then it's back to military style police, and force.

Black lives matter IS exclusionary because we all already know White lives matter more, in America I am speaking of, because whites are the majority they have more power. Working within the community work not against or militaristic then maybe black American's in the communities that are high crime would start to work with the police more if they were treated with more respect rather than criminals. Also requiring cops to live in or close to the communities they serve would be of help.

Call me simple-minded... This seems so easy to solve.

If "defund the police" doesn't actually mean defund the police, then don't call it "defund the police". Call it "reform police responsibilities". Call it what it it's supposed to mean. Make it impossible for those who would argue that the status quo should be retained to do so: No sane person is going to argue with reforming police responsibilities.

If "black lives matter" actually means "black lives matter too", not "only black lives matter", then don't call it "black lives matter" - call it "black lives matter too". Call it what it's supposed to mean. Make it impossible for those who would argue that BLM is exclusionary to do so: No sane person is going to argue that black lives matter too.

I personally take serious objection to the phrase "defund the police". It is antagonistic, demeaning, and dismissive.
I'm not getting into BLM or MeToo further.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another racist incident happened this weekend in my hometown. I am so disgusted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results