shape
carat
color
clarity

Trip to Tokyo, Where should we stay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
What part of Tokyo that is...

We are in the very early planning stages of a trip we''d like to take in February. I still have yet to pick up a guide book of some sort, but I was wondering if someone here could give us a starting point to look at areas.

Our preferences:

Somewhere close to transportation and/or close to points of interest. It will be cold in February so we don''t want to to be walking extremely long distances.

We are not into clubs or that type of nightlife, however we aren''t bothered by areas of cities that "never sleep." We like feeling part of a large metropolis and DH loves modern architecture and skyscrapers.

We''d like to be near lots of food options. We both love sushi and ramen and are hoping to try "real" japanese food. DH will eat anything regardless of whether he knows what''s in it, and will have no problems ordering whatever. My palette is not quite as broad or "mature." I have a hard time eating things when I don''t know what is in it. I also have a shellfish intolerence so will need to be more careful about what I eat. So somewhere near lots of food options would be great. Maybe a familiar American chain in case I need a back-up?

We do not speak Japanese, so a location that is easier for English speakers to navigate would be great.

We haven''t really picked out our list of preferred activities but we are hoping to find an area where we will have access to lots of options. We do know that we''d like to take at least 1 day trip out of the city to see Mt. Fuji, probably.

TIA for any help.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ok you should definitely stay in the Shinjuku or Shibuya area. Both are very lively, TONS of things to do, see and eat - plus both have major subway stations that connect to almost all other train lines (especailly Shinjuku). I lived one stop from Shinjuku at the Hatsudai stop and it was so easy just hopping over to Shinjuku to eat, shop, etc. Another fun option for food, if you're feeling lazy or want to try a variety of things, is to get off at Shinjuku, follow the signs in the subway to Isetan (a big department store - don't worry, all the signs are in Japanese and English) and go to the basement. The basement is entirely food - everything from chicken wings, sushi, Italian, to dessert (mochi! yummy cake!) to bread and pastries. Also, there's a (pricey) supermarket there too.

If you want to be close to Shinjuku without being in it (since it could be expensive there) try Yoyogi, which is within walking distance. I personally found Shibuya a little too "hip" for my taste (and I'm in my early 20s) and preferred Shinjuku.

If you want to be near more English-speaking people (i.e. expats) try for Roppongi, though Roppongi,if I recall, is rather expensive.

When I was there (a couple years ago) I honestly found that many people didn't speak English very well, so it was kind of difficult to communicate. Pick up a good phrasebook - I found that the most useful phrases were the standard greetings, and "kore" which means "this" roughly - I pointed, said "kore onegai shimasu" (this please) to buy things
3.gif
And don't worry, there are plenty of McDonald's, Starbucks, KFCs around too, as well as some amazing local hamburger places (teriyaki burger- yum!) if you decide to forego the fish.

If you want SUPER fresh and amazing sushi (like, caught that morning) wake up early one morning and head to Tsukiji Market (around 6 am). It's amazing.

I didn't go to Fuji while I was there, sadly - I did go to Nagoya and Kyoto, and Mt. Takao right outside Tokyo. Kyoto was beautiful - if you end up going there, there are some beautiful temples. Actually I might have pictures up on PS from my time there. Let me look.

OH and get a subway map before you go!!! That is SO important and will make life a lot easier!

ETA: Darn, don't have pics up - sorry!
7.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks B.E.G. Haha I searched PS history for threads onTokyo/Japan travel and I was surprised that there weren''t much. You should put your pictures up!

That is funny Shinjuku is the one that keeps sticking in my head. I have read good things so far. Roppongi doesn''t seem as desirable for some reason.

I was surprised that English is not as prevalent as I would have thought. We''ll definitely pick up a guide book. The thing I am most worried about is not being able to read prices.

We know some people who went to Japan and they complained that they had a hard time finding food. I find this so hard to believe because everything I am reading is that there are all kinds of food in Tokyo. Being a little on the picky side I''m a little worried, but I love raw fish and I know I will be able to at least find that. I''m wondering if these people were just not as accustomed to asian food as DH and I are. We prefer hole-in-the-wall restaurants to places like P.F.Chang''s so hopefully our ideas of Japanese food won''t be too far off.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
In Tokyo, I really liked staying in Asakua, which is away from a lot of the trendiest neighborhoods, but has an old-Japan feel that I preferred. And it was easy to get anywhere else you might want to go.

It sounds like you would prefer a more modern environment though. Even so, I recommend vising the area - I found it really remarkable. Also, visit the food courts at the shopping malls. They sell EVERYTHING and have all kinds of beautiful delicious food!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
If you're going to spend a day out of Tokyo I strongly recommend taking the shinkansen down to kyoto and touring the Kiyomizudera temple and surrounding neighbourgood (old geisha districts) It's quite picturesque and will give you a nice sence of Old Japan.

I've been to the area around Fuji, and ther's not a lot going on lots of guest hotels and apple and grape growing. People go there for quiet weekends away. Fuji is open for climbing only part of July and August, but I think there's a bus halfway up the mountain all year. I climbed Fuji in 2003 - it was a long slog.

I'm sure you'll have an excellent trip - I know people will be very nice to you.

Japanese restaurants can be realy expensive!!!

For cheap eats there's decent food available at every convenience store (7-11, Lawson station, Sunkus,Family mart etc.) - nice little packaged bentos, and spaghetti and stuff.

Yoshinoya is a fast food-beef ricebowl place that was pretty good - I think they still do a japanese set breakfast with grilled fish and rice and all.

CoCo ichiban has pretty good ceap curry.

Mos burger is defianetely my favorite japanese burger chain, but freashness burger is pretty good too.

(I recommend this food because it's what your typical office worker in Japan actualy eats)

Many department store and malls have great food courts too - try some udon soup! Ramen is available all over the place as well - look for red lanterns.

Learn to read the two Japanese alphabets - Hiragana (the curvy one) is for japanese words Katakana (the angular one) is for forign words. The alphabets are only 46 characters each - just bring them on charts with you. Trainstation names, and menue items will be listed using these characters. learning games here

Have fun!!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t tell you where to stay as we always stayed at the military hotel there. However there are many sights to see. Take the train to Okachimachi, that is the jewelry district there, you will love it, I miss it so much. There is a Johnny Rockets and a Tony Roma''s and just down the street from the train station in Tokyo is a little out of the way Mexican place that is to die for, can''t think of the name though. I found a lot of people to be speaking English as Tokyo is a melting pot of different people.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your responses, I am working now and wanted to see if I could post from my new phone. I think we picked a hotel! I''ll respond more when I get home.
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 2:28:10 PM
Author: HopeDream
If you''re going to spend a day out of Tokyo I strongly recommend taking the shinkansen down to kyoto and touring the Kiyomizudera temple and surrounding neighbourgood (old geisha districts) It''s quite picturesque and will give you a nice sence of Old Japan.

I''ve been to the area around Fuji, and ther''s not a lot going on lots of guest hotels and apple and grape growing. People go there for quiet weekends away. Fuji is open for climbing only part of July and August, but I think there''s a bus halfway up the mountain all year. I climbed Fuji in 2003 - it was a long slog.

I''m sure you''ll have an excellent trip - I know people will be very nice to you.

Japanese restaurants can be realy expensive!!!

For cheap eats there''s decent food available at every convenience store (7-11, Lawson station, Sunkus,Family mart etc.) - nice little packaged bentos, and spaghetti and stuff.

Yoshinoya is a fast food-beef ricebowl place that was pretty good - I think they still do a japanese set breakfast with grilled fish and rice and all.

CoCo ichiban has pretty good ceap curry.

Mos burger is defianetely my favorite japanese burger chain, but freashness burger is pretty good too.

(I recommend this food because it''s what your typical office worker in Japan actualy eats)

Many department store and malls have great food courts too - try some udon soup! Ramen is available all over the place as well - look for red lanterns.

Learn to read the two Japanese alphabets - Hiragana (the curvy one) is for japanese words Katakana (the angular one) is for forign words. The alphabets are only 46 characters each - just bring them on charts with you. Trainstation names, and menue items will be listed using these characters. learning games here

Have fun!!

Kiyomizudera was, hands down, my favorite temple in Kyoto. We also visited Kokedera, the moss garden (we had to write to get permission for that one), Kinkaju-ji (the Golden Pavilion Palace), Ryoan-ji (rock garden temple), the Kamigamo Shrine (very pretty, but tons of mosquitoes, erk), Todai-ji (Big Buddha temple) and a few others. There''s a LOT to see- I was lucky and went with Japanese friends, some of whom had studied in Kyoto, so I got the benefit of local guides, but I think a good guidebook will help too.

Don''t worry about reading prices- they''re all in numbers and I think it was roughly 100 yen to a dollar when I was there? So I just took off two zeroes and guessed from there.

As for food, there are tons of tempura places and burger places, etc. Actually, I really like Mos Burger too - yummy teriyaki burgers! And lots of cafes, etc. The first night I was there, I was really worried that I wouldn''t be able to order since everything seemed to be in Japanese. A lot of places though will have pictures in the menu, or in the windows. If the latter, you can always go in and get one of the workers, and point to the one you want in the window.

Honestly, if you want a good feel for "young" Tokyo and the nightlife and things to do at night, Roppongi isn''t it. And I went there maybe twice the 3 months I lived in Tokyo - if you''re living alone and want to find other expats, maybe, but to visit, it''s worth it to live in Shinjuku or Shibuya, or near those two, like Yoyogi.

Also a few things to remember: cabbies in Tokyo aren''t that great that finding places - the number of times I had to struggle to tell the cabbie where to take me...ugh. Though if you''re staying at a hotel, it''ll be much easier.

In Tokyo, you should check out Harajuku - lots of fun there, plus there''s a really good souvenir store there too, if you want to buy gifts.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I have been working on a paper for school and I really need to go to bed, so it looks like I won''t be able to respond to each of you individually.
7.gif

BUT SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

We booked our hotel tonight and I can''t believe in a few months I will be in Japan! I do wish I could have researched more but after Brown.Eyed.Girl recommended Shinjuku I found a hotel that had a great price and awesome reviews. I just wasn''t interested in other hotels and wanted to book this one. So we will be staying at the Century Southern Tower. Besides hotels that we could never afford this one had some of the best reviews! It is supposed to be in a great location (very close to the Shinjuku station) and we should be guarenteed to have a great view of the city. So I''m really hoping it is as good as it looks (or sounds).

Thank you guys so much for encouraging me about the food! I''m sure it will be great and our biggest worry will be not spending too much. Thanks for all the info Hopedream!, especially the tip on the red lanterns. I could eat ramen every day! Our favorite restaurant in the bay area is a tiny little Ramen place that mostly Japanese people go to so I''m sure it will be similar in Japan. Udon noddles are fab too!

We are going to look into Kyoto for on of our trips out of the city. I also think the monkey park in Arashiyama might be fun, but I''m not sure If we''ll have enough time to get up there in a day trip. Will have to sort that out.

B.E.G.- Is Todai-ji also in Kyoto? I would love to see a Buddha statue while I am there.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:17:44 AM
Author: mia1181
Okay I have been working on a paper for school and I really need to go to bed, so it looks like I won't be able to respond to each of you individually.
7.gif

BUT SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

We booked our hotel tonight and I can't believe in a few months I will be in Japan! I do wish I could have researched more but after Brown.Eyed.Girl recommended Shinjuku I found a hotel that had a great price and awesome reviews. I just wasn't interested in other hotels and wanted to book this one. So we will be staying at the Century Southern Tower. Besides hotels that we could never afford this one had some of the best reviews! It is supposed to be in a great location (very close to the Shinjuku station) and we should be guarenteed to have a great view of the city. So I'm really hoping it is as good as it looks (or sounds).

Thank you guys so much for encouraging me about the food! I'm sure it will be great and our biggest worry will be not spending too much. Thanks for all the info Hopedream!, especially the tip on the red lanterns. I could eat ramen every day! Our favorite restaurant in the bay area is a tiny little Ramen place that mostly Japanese people go to so I'm sure it will be similar in Japan. Udon noddles are fab too!

We are going to look into Kyoto for on of our trips out of the city. I also think the monkey park in Arashiyama might be fun, but I'm not sure If we'll have enough time to get up there in a day trip. Will have to sort that out.

B.E.G.- Is Todai-ji also in Kyoto? I would love to see a Buddha statue while I am there.

I am so jealous! I had a blast in Tokyo and would absolutely love to go back someday.

Actually, now that you mention it, Todai-ji is actually in Nara, which is less than an hour away from Kyoto. We ended up going to Nara first (shinkansen to Kyoto, then train to Nara) and visited Todai-ji and the Nara Park (TONS of deer - really cute, but there are a lot of them, plus if you have food in your hands, watch out!), watched cormorant fishing at night and spent the night at a ryokan (old-fashioned Japanese lodging - sleep on the floor, etc.). The next morning we got up and visited a couple temples, and in the afternoon, took the train back to Kyoto, where we spent the rest of the day and the following day. Looked at a TON of temples, including Kiyomizudera and Kokedera. We went on a three-day weekend so we had a good amount of time to wander around and sightsee and shop. I really liked Nara - the Big Buddha really was magnificent and as aggressive as some of those deer were about food, they were very cute. If you have time, I'd say go, but if you're only spending a day out of Tokyo, then Kyoto has plenty to see on its own and your time would probably be better spent staying in the city.

ETA: Just to let you know, Shinjuku station is MASSIVE. Tons and tons of lines going through - the subway system is pretty extensive and most of those lines all go through Shinjuku, as well as lines that go out of the city (for instance, I lived at Hatsudai, which is not on the subway map, since it's on the New Keio line going out of the city towards Takao-san - but Hatsudai was only one stop from Shinjuku). And also, if you're missing American food, somewhere outside Shinjuku station (I forget which side) there's a Krispy Kreme
2.gif

ETA 2: Not sure if you guys have thought about transportation from the airport, but if you haven't, my recommendation is to take the Limousine Bus. A cab to the city from Narita will cost you about $300 - it is really expensive. The Limousine Bus, on the other hand, is about $30/person, and makes stops at major stations like Shinjuku, as well as some hotels (you can check and see if yours is one, or just have them drop you off around Shinjuku and hail a cab). It's pretty easy to book - as you head out of baggage claim there will be a counter and you just tell them there where you need to go. I also ended up taking the Bus back to the airport when I left - just took my suitcase to Shinjuku, followed the signs to the Bus, and off I went.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock

Hello,

I think the limousine bus costs around JPY3000 which is approx USD30, not 300. Their train stations are extensive and confusing. The rails, metro and Airport Express could well be on the same platform in the same station, just at different times. One thing to note is that when you take a train, the departure time is the time to note. You may be on the right platform, right station, but the train that you see at 1:55 may not be the train that you are suppose to take if yours is suppose to leave at 2:00. Good luck!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
BrownEyedGirl- Thanks so much you are really helping me so much! I guess that Krsipy Kreme is actually right below our hotel and I think there is a starbucks too! So we will definitely have that as a plan B. Our hotel is right next to the Shinjuku station. Do you think we should just take the train from the airport or is the limo bus preferrable? The hotel says it is 74 minutes via Narita Express and 100 minutes via limo bus. Is he limo bus more comfortable to the point that we should consider the longer ride?

Simplysplendid, Thanks for the heads-up on the train stations. Good to know! Especially since I have almost ended up on the wrong train here in America where I can clearly read the signs!
20.gif
I''m sure we will get lost a lot while we are there! But that is what will make it an adventure! Oh and BrownEyedGirl actually did say limos were ~$30, it was there cabs she was saying were more expensive.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
If you go to Todai-ji, (fabulous by the way) look for a pillar with a hole in it near the back right side of the temple. The hole is supposed to be the size of the buddah''s nostril, and if you crawl through it, you''re sure to attain enlightenment. (I went through, it''s a bit awkward, but with help it''s do-able). The Todaiji monks sell some cool good luck charms.

At Kiyomizudera there is a little love shrine (Jishu Shrine) within the temple grounds. At the shrine there are two love rocks a little way apart. You''re supposed to walk with your eyes closed between them, and if you can, you will be blessed with finding your true love. It''s a great place to buy omamori (good luck charms) and you should be able to by omikuji (fortunes) at any shrine or temple. I think both Kiyomizudera and Todaiji have omikuji available in English.

Have an excellent trip!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 12:52:26 AM
Author: HopeDream
If you go to Todai-ji, (fabulous by the way) look for a pillar with a hole in it near the back right side of the temple. The hole is supposed to be the size of the buddah''s nostril, and if you crawl through it, you''re sure to attain enlightenment. (I went through, it''s a bit awkward, but with help it''s do-able). The Todaiji monks sell some cool good luck charms.

At Kiyomizudera there is a little love shrine (Jishu Shrine) within the temple grounds. At the shrine there are two love rocks a little way apart. You''re supposed to walk with your eyes closed between them, and if you can, you will be blessed with finding your true love. It''s a great place to buy omamori (good luck charms) and you should be able to by omikuji (fortunes) at any shrine or temple. I think both Kiyomizudera and Todaiji have omikuji available in English.

Have an excellent trip!

Ooh I remember the pillar with the hole. I wanted to go through it but sadly, I was wearing a skirt!
7.gif
HopeDream is right, temples are fantastic places to buy little omiyagi (souvenirs) in the form of good luck charms, etc. I bought a TON at various temples.

There are also these cool books you can get at certain temples (I know for sure that Kiyomizudera and Ryoanji have them). There are artist/scribes who will make a book of blank pages for you, and they''ll write I think the name of the temple in Japanese calligraphy on a page, and you can go to various temples and "collect" names for a really cool book in the end. I so wish I had gotten one - my friends did and it was really awesome.

And I have no idea if this of interest to you, but I really wanted to get a katana while I was in Kyoto, and there''s this amazing little shop right around the corner from the Golden Pavilion Temple in Kyoto that sells both replica and authentic katanas and wazikashis. They''re pricey - I believe an authentic wazikashi (short sword) started at about $4000 USD. But it''s really cool to look at (I got a replica one for about $200 - my Japanese friend haggled down the price for me and arranged shipping back to the US). I''d love to someday afford a real one. Darn expensive hobbies!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 11:32:57 PM
Author: mia1181
BrownEyedGirl- Thanks so much you are really helping me so much! I guess that Krsipy Kreme is actually right below our hotel and I think there is a starbucks too! So we will definitely have that as a plan B. Our hotel is right next to the Shinjuku station. Do you think we should just take the train from the airport or is the limo bus preferrable? The hotel says it is 74 minutes via Narita Express and 100 minutes via limo bus. Is he limo bus more comfortable to the point that we should consider the longer ride?

Simplysplendid, Thanks for the heads-up on the train stations. Good to know! Especially since I have almost ended up on the wrong train here in America where I can clearly read the signs!
20.gif
I''m sure we will get lost a lot while we are there! But that is what will make it an adventure! Oh and BrownEyedGirl actually did say limos were ~$30, it was there cabs she was saying were more expensive.

Oops should''ve replied. Um, it is a longer trip but the Limousine Bus is just so much easier. The train lines are ridiculously complicated since there are a lot of them and some stations are just really hard to get around (like there are subway lines that, in order to get to them, you have to follow signs for a DIFFERENT subway line and go past that, and then you encounter signs for the one you actually wanted). I really really recommend doing the bus, and then when you go back to the airport, you can give the subway a try if you''re feeling confident enough with the system by then. I used the subway everyday for 11 weeks and still chose to do the bus to get to the airport to leave - mostly because I didn''t want to haul my huge suitcase through trains, etc. and also bc the Bus was more comfortable and I just wanted to relax.

The great thing about the Japanese subway system is that they are super clean and punctual. I visited NYC after my Tokyo trip and was pretty appalled at the dirtiness, the heat (in August! where it''s already hot outside, and 10 degrees hotter in the subway) and the lack of efficiency.

Just a couple subway caveats: don''t cross your legs when you sit. It''s considered rude (encroaching on the next person''s space, apparently - I found out the hard way. Some people take it VERY personally). If you take the subway early in the morning around 6 or 7, be prepared for people shoving and pushing (there are even professionals who push to cram more people into cars). And if you ever have to take the subway alone at rush hour, go for the first two cars in the trains - those are Ladies Only cars (unfortunately, there is a groping problem on trains when people are just crammed in together). I never experienced any of that, but I was always very aware of who I was standing next to, and I never took the train at rush hour.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia,

For how long do you plan to visit Japan? Will you stay in Kyoto for a day or two or three? If you stay in Kyoto, please consider staying at a Ryokan, where you can stay in a tatami-matted room and sleep on futons (soooo comfortable). This is a typical dinner that is served in your room. I spent one night at Matsubaya Inn in Kyoto. Matsubaya is a fairly affordable ryokan, which I thought was quite lovely. You can also find much more expensive ryokan. I spent a few nights at a guesthouse (even less expensive that Matsubaya) and also slept on a futon, where I slept quite well after the long flight from the east coast US.

It's funny that you mentioned the monkey park in Arashiyama. I went there!!! I have mixed reviews about the park, but fortunately, there is much more to see in Arashiyama than just the park, so I think it is definitely worth the trip if you have time for it. Personally, I would choose Arashiyama over Nara. If you think Arashiyama may fit into your itinerary, take a look at Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple. It is quite remarkable. I also did some of my best shopping in Arashiyama. There are many lovely shops along the streets with handmade pottery. I purchased a single teacup for myself, and it is still boxed and wrapped, ready to be opened on a special occasion . . . . one day.

More random thoughts:

Pack lightly. There is not a ton of room on commuter trains for luggage.

Go into the basement of at least one major department store. You will be amazed, especially if you have a sweet tooth!
9.gif

I went to Japan a few years ago on a solo-trip. I spoke no Japanese. Fortunately, every time I needed to ask for help, people really went out of their way to help. I would not hesitate to ask where to go for the right train, for directions, etc.

If you are considering Fuji still, I have a hotel recommendation there for you.

I've never been to Tokyo, so can't provide any advice there.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results