shape
carat
color
clarity

Trip to NYC -- suggestions of sites to see?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend and I are going to visit The Natural Sapphire Co. in April and we''re planning a trip to NYC for a few days. We know nothing about the city and would love suggestions of things to do. I have no idea if the NSC is near any great places. We hate bars and clubs but would love to see museums, Central Park, and maybe a show. The size of NYC totally intimidates me, so I''m not sure where to begin. Thanks!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve now learned that the Natural Sapphire Co. is in midtown manhattan, in the diamond district I think. Maybe that helps any suggestions and ideas you might have. I already know I''m dragging my boyfriend to every possible jeweler he''ll allow. Aside from that, I''m not sure what else to plan.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved Jersey Boys and I heard Tarzan is great...

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
If you can, go see St. Patrick''s Cathedral on 5th Ave. It''s beautiful and the architecture is amazing!
Central Park is beautiful and taking a horse-drawn carriage through the park is so romantic!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Ice skating at Rockefeller center or Central Park. I like Rockefeller center. Good views at Top of the Rock.

Empire State building is really crowded (buy tickets online beforehand) and there are cages which make it hard to take nice pictures.

Statue of Liberty is cool.

I''d just stick around Manhattan. Way too much to do to go beyond Manhattan.

I saw Avenue Q. Quite funny and it''s possible to get tickets.

We saw the Met. Huge place. Cool if you like museums I guess.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
5th Ave, flagship Tiffany's store (talk about drooling...there are multiple FLOORS!), Rockefeller Center, Ground Zero, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Chrysler Building, St, Patrick's Cathedral...

TCBug

Rough_Rock
First, and most importantly, buy "Streetwise Manhattan." It''s a lamaneted map, available at most bookstores. It has every street and subway stop you need. If you take cabs instead of the subway, watch others and learn how to FLAG them down! BE AGGRESSIVE WHEN YOU FLAG A CAB. PUT YOUR RIGHT ARM UP AND WAIVE IF HIS LIGHT IS ON AND NO-ONE IS RIDING.

I encourage you to try the subway, though. It''s easier and safer than it used to be. Get on www.hopstop.com. This is an amazing site that will tell you what trains to take to get where you want to be.

IMO, the best pizza in NY is Friendly Gourmet. It''s on Maiden Lane in lower Manhattan. Lunch will cost you both about $10.00. Order 1 piece for you and 1 or 2 for your guy. It''s a short walk from the World Trade Center site. NOT to be missed!

If you want some of NY''s best dinning, make a reservation at Annisa. (Yes, they have a website, although I may have spelled it wrong.) It''s at West 4th and Barrow. By all means, do the 5 or 7 course tasting menu if you can. The 7 course menu is roughly $88 per person and the wine pairing (an option) is another $55 per person. If you order an appetizer, entree, and dessert from the menu, it will be less. Look them up on Zaggat''s. A truly wonderful (and small) place with stellar food.

The Statue of Liberty is wonderful (and I can see it from my apartment complex). Consider going to the Ellis Island Museum while you''re there. VERY interesting. Get online and get tickets before you do this. And/or consider a dinner or "booze" cruise on the Hudson River (between NJ and NY). You''ll see all the best NY skyline, the Statue of Liberty, etc. I don''t know who to suggest, but you can find good options on the internet.

And of course, Broadway. Times Square is safe. (I say this because I lived here in the 80s and it was iffy then.) You can walk around now, enjoy the Swatch store, Disney, etc. But I REALLY suggest going to a show. I agree that Avenue Q is fantastic. So is Spamalot. Before you come, get on some websites and see if you can get discount tickets to any Broadway show. You should do at least one if you can. "Off Broadway" shows can be iffy and too quirky. If I didn''t live here, I wouldn''t try one. Just my bias!

Finally, museums! Really -- some of the best in the U.S. Go to MoMa, the Met, or anything your fancy desires. Do a google search. You''ll be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results