shape
carat
color
clarity

Trimming a baby''s nails

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I kind of like this because the idea of trimming a newborns nails freaks me out. Actually, trimming when they get OLDER freaks me out worse.

Would you get one of these, or if not, how do you keep your baby''s nails trimmed?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I would not. For that, you can just use a regular nail file
5.gif

I think if you get LO used to trimming the nails, you'll be ok. If not, then wait for them to fall asleep
3.gif

Sophia is used to it. I don't like to cut her nails while she's sleeping because sometimes she twitches or wakes up. What I do is just sit on the glider in front of her window so that she can look outside or we sit in front of the TV and she watches cartoons. She stays still but I tuck one arm behind me and put each finger between my thumb and pointer and hold the rest of her fingers with my hand. Don't know if the visual makes sense but it's usually not an issue. If she is being difficult, I just stop and do it some other time.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i got one similar to that mp. it''s from safety first i think and available at buy buy baby.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Ditto fiery on just a regular nail file. But I actually don''t like using the file on baby''s nails because their nails is so soft that I find it hard to file. Might just be me though.

I cut DD''s nails in her sleep until she was 1 year old. In hindsight, I would probably start cutting her nails while she is awake earlier, so she can get used to the idea of getting her nails trimmed. That''s because she would pull her hand away when I first started doing it while she was awake. Now that''s scary.

I also accidentally cut the skin of one of her fingers once. There was no bleeding, but she cried so hard. This was when she was a newborn. I felt horrible and was scared to trim her nails for a while after that incident. I mentioned this not to scare you, but to say that accident can happen but you''ll learn to get over it.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh - I hate nail trimming. I am embarrassed to say that both DH and i have cut Olivia trying to trim her nails. I am sure it''s more traumatic for us than her, but I no longer trim them - I just file them. And I use a regular adult nail file, those baby ones are too flimsy IMO. But the file works fine, I don''t think you need to buy that contraption.

lili

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about you, but I hate the vibrating sensation of having my nails filed.
Makes my fingers feel numb, but maybe it''s because my nails are soft (like the babies)?
We use the clippers on her while she''s asleep.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I figure I will cut him at least once - I just hope it happens when he''s small enough that he won''t remember!
39.gif
Cause I sure will.

I got a baby manicure set at my baby shower, and my NICU friend said to bite them off during breast feeding (which seems like a good idea), I''m just worrying needlessly I''m sure lol.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
As babies I clip them when they are asleep. Nail file never worked because their nails are so soft.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Safety 1st nail clippers are the best. It''s easy I promise. I just did E''s yesterday while he was laying on the changing table and he didn''t flinch.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We just used a nail file when he was little, they seemed too small for clippers at that point. The one thing I do miss about Kyle crawling was that his nails used to get filed down on our floor tile
3.gif

We did it during bottle feedings when he was little, I held the baby and the bottle, DH did the nails. Now it''s a squirming match. No one has bled yet, but I know it''ll happen at some point!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I would not use that. I've just used nail clippers from the beginning. The first time I cut my son's nail when he was a newborn, I cut some skin and it bled for like 10 minutes! He was crying and screaming and I felt SO BAD! I did get used to trimming his nails though and it never happened again. My cousin did the same thing to her little one. It does happen but you'll learn to get over it. Most of the time I waited for him to be asleep. Now at 18 months I never hold him when he's asleep so I just cut it while DH is distracting him and keeping him entertained or he's busy looking out the window.

ETA - I use the The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clippers that I bought from BRU. The magnifier is useless but I like the clipper.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
snlee, I have the same clippers and agree the magnifier is useless. I also got a dud pair (I have a few) but the good ones work well.

I clipped her skin when she was a newborn because I tried using the magnifier. Never used them again and never clipped her again. I''m a master nail cutter.
16.gif
Did them when she was asleep when she was really young and used the TV for 5 minutes (just anything on TV worked) when she got older.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I also have the Safety 1st. I also nipped LO''s finger when she was tiny..I felt awful and who knew fingers bled for so long. Luckily she didn''t cry too much. After that I tried to do it at night, but it''s hard to see!

Now she''ll give me her hand while she watches TV. Her feet are a different story since she is very ticklish!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Yeah that magnifying glass doesn''t work, at least not for me.

And Janine-Sophia is the same with her feet!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cut London once when she was teeny and then my Gramma Joyce (who never had kids, go figure) taught me to cup my hand around L''s hand and put a finger between my thumb/pointer, so my thumb was on the base of the nail, and use the pointer to pull the pad of the finger down and away from the nail. Never cut her again. I did it that way w/Trapper too.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nails are too soft to use a nail-file, also couldn''t manage to bite them as the hospital advised.

So, I cut them when she was asleep for ages, and now stick cartoons on the TV and sit her on my knee. Most baby scissors are too blunt and it takes twice as long, so I use a very sharp pair of embroidery scissors and do it quite fast. Daisy is very scratchy so I have to cut hers every other day or I end up ripped to shreds!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
We use an electric nail file...he loves it and it works....

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 3:21:52 PM
Author: FL Steph
Safety 1st nail clippers are the best. It's easy I promise. I just did E's yesterday while he was laying on the changing table and he didn't flinch.

I think these are the clippers we have too. I just clip his nails while nursing, and I'm able to get a clean cut every time. Distraction works wonders.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 8:11:53 PM
Author: E B
Date: 3/29/2010 3:21:52 PM

Author: FL Steph

Safety 1st nail clippers are the best. It''s easy I promise. I just did E''s yesterday while he was laying on the changing table and he didn''t flinch.

I think these are the clippers we have too. I just clip his nails while nursing, and I''m able to get a clean cut every time. Distraction works wonders.
I remember doing this, too. When they nurse they usually bring one hand up to hold the breast and are so busy eating you can easily work the clippers. I remember being really afraid to clip as I was sure I was going to cut the skin. But after getting scratched across the face and having blood drawn I decided I would clip no matter what.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I trimmed his nails when he nursed when he was young. I cut a chunk out of his finger once! He didn''t notice if yo ucan imagine! Little babies don''t have good nerve-brain connections
2.gif
So don''t worry too much!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I got the Safety First version of that, and it''s not the best. I wish I just had regular emory boards. But I had to end up getting a baby nail clipper anyway, cause I found that just filing a baby''s nails isn''t enough.

So I suggest sitting your baby in your lap, turn on the TV, stick a pacifier in their mouth so they are totally distracted and happy and then clip away! It works for us like a charm!!
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''ve used regular nail clippers since JT was born. I actually had to clip them in the hospital because they were so long and I didn''t like those little mitten things.

As an infant, I always cut them while he was asleep. As he got to be a few months old, I''d do it while he was awake so he could get used to it. I nicked him once with the clipper. I cried but he didn''t. JT is 4 now and very fastidious about his nails. He will bring me the clippers and ask me to trim or clean out under his nails at least once a week. Sure beats having to hold him down and force him.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results