shape
carat
color
clarity

Tried on dresses..which silhouette?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
My mom was in town for Thanksgiving so even though my wedding is almost 2 years away, we decided to start trying on dresses. We only went to one place, and they didn''t have the biggest selection, but I tried to try on a variety of silhouettes just to get an idea of what looked best on me. I doubt I''ll buy any of these dresses, but I thought it was a good exercise in figuring out what''s most flattering

#1: a strapless, moderate a-line

dress1front.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#1, back

dress1back.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#2: a Vera Wang sample with a full skirt and thin natural waist sash

dress2front.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Dress 2, back

dress2back.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#3, a sweetheart neckline with a dropped waist and natural waist sash

dress3front.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#3, back. I didn''t like the back of this one. Too froufy, or something, for me.

dress3back.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think the silhouette of #1 compliments you the best :)

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#4, a strapless straight skirt. I liked this in the store (though not the weird color), but I thought in pictures it made me look a little pear-shaped.

vdress4front.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#4, back

vkdress4back.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#5, dropped waist, no sash, with straps

dress5front.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
#5, back

dvkress5back.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
You look positively dreamy in 1 & 2 (2''s a little big maybe?); 3 and 5 I''d definitely nix; 4 looks totally sexy/beautiful from the back
6.gif
, and good from the front (but maybe not as good as 1?).

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I like the sweetheart neckline on you....very flattering!! But I like the waistline/skirt from #2....can you mix and match the 2??
2.gif

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I love #1 on you the best, I also like #4 alot on you...I don''t care for #2 or #3 at all and I think the sillhouettes are less flattering than 1 and 4. The silhouette on #5 is pretty on you but not flattering and I don''t care for the actual dress.

#1 is an awesome dress!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I think the A-line and strapless look best on you... Isn''t it nice to try on dresses even though the wedding is so far off?
5.gif

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
I like #4

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have an amazing figure girl, i think they all look really great which is so rare! hahaa. i don't really love the dropped waist #5 because you have a very nice small waist and the waist in #2 and #3 shows that off beautifully. i love the train/back in #1 but i don't think it complements you up top as much on the front view, it makes you look too straight up and down. i think #2 and #3 are my favorites because they are delicate yet beautiful and they really show off your lovely shape. #4 is pretty if you are going for that kind of look with a more trumpety kind of sheath, but it's very different than #1-3. you can totally pull off #4 as well depending on what you want. i didn't really like #5.

my two faves are #2 and #3. i love the whole simplicity look of the #2 but it is VERY simple..not sure if its too simple maybe. i love the entire look of #3 on you big time, front and back. though the back v is a little wonky? but the front is stunning. and i'm REALLY not a sash fan but in this case it emphasizes your small waist.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I pick #2. It looks great on you and totally accentuates your lovely figure!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Number 2 would look perfect without the straps. With your figure, anything will look great though!

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock
I love #2 on you!!!!

#3 is my second choice. Nice, but not as much as I love #2.

You look FANTASTIC in everything though.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, you have such a cute body that anything looks great on you! I would just shop more without limiting yourself to a select type of gown. You will know when you''ve found one that you really like.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
#2 by a huge margin.

E B

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I don't love any of them on you. You obviously have a cute little figure (that will look good in SO much), and they all seem to hide that.

My favorite is #4, because it's the least sack shaped. It hugs your curves and shows off your figure in a chic way. About looking pear shaped, I doubt you could if you tried!
9.gif
IMO, I'd check out more slim a-lines/sheaths.

*ETA*

Maybe something like this:

http://www.tarakeely.com/occ_br/display_dress.php?imageno=2651&multimatch=x

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies (and compliments)!

I am actually quite pear-shaped and flat-chested in real life. I didn''t think any of the dresses were anything I particularly loved, but I was surprised that I liked the slimmer skirts. I''m still a little skeptical that I can really pull off a mermaid/trumpet/sheath type style though.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I choose #2! I think it flatters your frame without overpowering it. #1 doesn''t define your waist. The straps on #3 overwhlem your amazingly tiny frame. #4 doesn''t make you look pearshaped at all, I just like a full skirt on your frame. #5 is my second favorite, but I really like the straight neckline of #2 better.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 1:44:54 AM
Author: basil
Thanks for the replies (and compliments)!

I am actually quite pear-shaped and flat-chested in real life. I didn't think any of the dresses were anything I particularly loved, but I was surprised that I liked the slimmer skirts. I'm still a little skeptical that I can really pull off a mermaid/trumpet/sheath type style though.

I'm not large in the chest either (B cup) and I found empire waists to really give the bust a...boost. In the pictures, it looks like #4 does a little, but I don't really like the folds. I tried on a Paloma Blanca with folds all down the front, and it completely hid any definition and made me look like a block. I personally think you look awesome in that mermaid sheath shape (if it had a different top), but it's all about you being comfortable and feeling great.

Since you've got plenty of time, be sure to try on everything. When you've found the shape you're looking for, try on everything in that shape. Get good and tired of wedding dress shopping, so when you find the one, you'll know.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
#2, hands down. That band across your waist looks like it hits you perfectly and makes you look like a gorgeous hourglass shape. I noticed that you said you had a more pear shaped figure, but #2 compliments you beautifully.

*M*

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love no 4 on you-it looks amazing on you

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I think that #2 is the most flattering on you! So pretty! Maybe you could do something like that but without the straps!

Beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results