shape
carat
color
clarity

Tricolor sapphire project

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
My tricolor sapphire from Adamant International is on its way. This is so far my best gemstone buying experience. He humored me by taking videos of it in the most unflattering light. I have always loved multicolor sapphires, but this will be my first.

I am starting to think of how to set it and would love inspiration. The sapphire is a triangle near 7mm. My ring finger is a size 4.25, so it can't be too busy. 20210307_140536.jpg

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely color! I would do an offset double prong or tab prong with a modern round shank. As in, the stone isn't centered over the shank but rather sits entirely on one side of it. Are you set on a ring? It would make a very cool necklace/pendant as well.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Lovely color! I would do an offset double prong or tab prong with a modern round shank. As in, the stone isn't centered over the shank but rather sits entirely on one side of it. Are you set on a ring? It would make a very cool necklace/pendant as well.

Can you post a picture of that if possible? I am a very visual person so I am having difficulty seeing your idea in my head. Very set on ring. I love staring at my fingers.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of that if possible? I am a very visual person so I am having difficulty seeing your idea in my head. Very set on ring. I love staring at my fingers.

Yes I just found pretty much exactly what I was thinking and it even has a similar colored stone!

Set like the bezeled one but with the prongs like the diamond band pic. 20210307_221645.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is lovely, but what caught my attention is the vendor shown in your inspiration photo. We purchased my diamond wedding band from them 28 years ago! I might have even upgraded my e-ring with them at some point. Gah! I can barely remember that far back...

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any trillion stones, so it was fun to look for you:razz:. Here are some ideas that stuck out to me. The first one is similar to your inspo, but I like it a tiny bit more (sorry). And others that are cool to me. Screenshot_20210307-193515_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20210307-193448_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20210307-193235_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any trillion stones, so it was fun to look for you:razz:. Here are some ideas that stuck out to me. The first one is similar to your inspo, but I like it a tiny bit more (sorry). And others that are cool to me. Screenshot_20210307-193515_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20210307-193448_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20210307-193235_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Very nice! Thank you. I am wondering whether a bezel would darken too much. I've never had a bezel. I think a halo may be kind of odd with a tricolor stone. I'll have to look up pictures to see what it looks like.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
It is here!! It is terrible light, so I will photograph it with some sun tomorrow. It was packed ready for a war. The tin box was damaged which is why it is packed like this. I definitely can appreciate the extra money for this type of service and gem cutting perfection. There is a place for this and a place for ebay.
Now it is time to think seriously about the setting. My local jeweler did very nice solder work on my stack ring, but I don't know if he is equipped for a project like this or how much it would cost. I could send it to a big name like David Klass or Daniel M. Do they charge extra for their brand or is it equivalent to what you would pay for a local jewelry store? I would love to own some platinum.
20210316_222231.jpg 20210316_222520.jpg 20210316_222700.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the way the stones from Sri Lanka come packaged in old fashioned brown paper with the wax seals. To ship them they all have to go through the gem export facility and this is how they do it. So cool.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is here!! It is terrible light, so I will photograph it with some sun tomorrow. It was packed ready for a war. The tin box was damaged which is why it is packed like this. I definitely can appreciate the extra money for this type of service and gem cutting perfection. There is a place for this and a place for ebay.
Now it is time to think seriously about the setting. My local jeweler did very nice solder work on my stack ring, but I don't know if he is equipped for a project like this or how much it would cost. I could send it to a big name like David Klass or Daniel M. Do they charge extra for their brand or is it equivalent to what you would pay for a local jewelry store? I would love to own some platinum.
20210316_222231.jpg 20210316_222520.jpg 20210316_222700.jpg
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Very hard to photograph. A little darker than I expected so this will need a very open setting. It was an overcast day so I haven't seen it in optimal light. It sparkles a ton even in mediocre light.
Is tension setting still a thing. My wedding ring stone is and I love it. 20210317_123758.jpg 20210317_123347.jpg

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I've been putting in more thought. More opinions? Excuse the sloppy paint over lol. Screenshot_20210321-210144_Chrome.jpg 20210321_212936.jpg 20210321_212803.jpg

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Sounds silly, but I'm actually kind of anxious about approaching anyone with my project. This isn't a transaction I've done before. I'm on the spectrum and learning new interactions are a high learning curve. Do you talk on the phone? Zoom? Is it all email? Are there secret rules like things you shouldn't say or ask? Or secret etiquette that people just know? Is it very upfront? Money. Plan. Time. Or is that rude? Is there bargaining? I've been reading the posts very carefully trying to soak it up. I would go local, but I think I may be overcharged and wouldn't even know it.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could do it all by email if you wanted to go that way and if that’s how you are comfortable.

Try to remind yourself that in this situation you are the customer - so it’s for the vendor to try to meet your requirements. It doesn’t matter how you come across to them.

The aim is to complete your project to your specifications - not to make friends. It’s a transaction. You don’t have to read emotional cues or make someone feel comfortable or form relationships out of this process. You just need to specifically communicate a design and have it executed. Think of it like an engineering exercise.

As long as you are polite, and clear in your directions, you have nothing else to worry about. I’m sure you’ll manage it brilliantly.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I think you could do it all by email if you wanted to go that way and if that’s how you are comfortable.

Try to remind yourself that in this situation you are the customer - so it’s for the vendor to try to meet your requirements. It doesn’t matter how you come across to them.

The aim is to complete your project to your specifications - not to make friends. It’s a transaction. You don’t have to read emotional cues or make someone feel comfortable or form relationships out of this process. You just need to specifically communicate a design and have it executed. Think of it like an engineering exercise.

As long as you are polite, and clear in your directions, you have nothing else to worry about. I’m sure you’ll manage it brilliantly.

Thank you so much! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My transaction is purely email. I get to the point and pictures (with marked up notes) seems to get the point across very clearly and quickly. I generally don't bargain as I have a ballpark idea of what a particular design will cost based on metal weight, metal type, complexity and quality of workmanship.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
My transaction is purely email. I get to the point and pictures (with marked up notes) seems to get the point across very clearly and quickly. I generally don't bargain as I have a ballpark idea of what a particular design will cost based on metal weight, metal type, complexity and quality of workmanship.

Thank you! :)

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture of the sapphire on my finger if it helps to envision which ring style would be best. Not easy to photograph! 20210322_095740.jpg

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I should buy yellow sapphire melee to bring out the yellow? Screenshot_20210322-133236_eBay.jpg

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Like if the ruby band were yellow sapphires? 20210322_141553.jpg

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Like if the ruby band were yellow sapphires? 20210322_141553.jpg

I think a greener leaning yellow, or light blue/green would accent the colors of the trillion, and would watch out for golden orangish yellow sapphire melee. It would look pretty with diamonds too. Or a gradient from yellow to blue.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I think a greener leaning yellow, or light blue/green would accent the colors of the trillion, and would watch out for golden orangish yellow sapphire melee. It would look pretty with diamonds too. Or a gradient from yellow to blue.

A gradient would be really pretty and interesting! I don't know where I would source that.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
chrono's trillion.jpg
I love this style too
sapphirering_7.jpg
This was my old parti-sapphire ring with matching accents....

When I saw your beautiful trillion sapphire @Laurainthesky I thought of the ring in the top photo here.
I remember that ring from a few years ago, and even saved a picture of it. To me it’s one of the most interesting settings I’ve seen for a trillion. Very flowy and organic.
I was going to post it, but @GliderPoss beat me to it! =)2

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased a yellow to blue 2mm melee gradient! Yay! I'm excited that I have a clear vision for this ring. Unlike the color change garnets lol.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to put this here since I know you like multicolored stones and I think this is freaking gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results